ABF | Preventable Accident

I encourage everybody to keep all documents concerning your job. That includes warning letters, accidents, grievances & settlements. I was involved in an accident years ago that was not my fault. Just before the deadline for filing a claim one of the passengers in the adverse vehicle filed suit against his buddy who was driving. I was summoned to the trial as a witness. The company attorney called & told me to refresh my memory on the accident. I still had pictures etc. The suit was settled before trial but I was more confident by having records.
I would also advise everybody to not talk to attorneys without consulting with your attorney first.

The contr

Actual language is still there...Anything that "violates Federal, State, or local ordinances',......you can refuse to do. Just because the company is slavering to make more profit from a single employee doesn't mean that they have the right to force their employees to violate law. You know what will happen if a local policeman decides to enforce the law,......the DRIVER will pay the fine, with the subsequent points on HIS license,.......regardless of whether the dispatcher told you that "the company will pay any fine"..............They're admitting right there that they know it's illegal,....and they're lying by saying they'll "pay any fine".......Want proof? Get them to put it in writing,.......see how far that goes........The whole proposal in the new Transportation bill that Congress is trying to pass, about 33' doubles, and 58' long trailers comes from the idea that MOST drivers, especially non-Union ones,...can be brow-beaten into taking the larger equipment into places where it's not legal to go,......and carry ALL the liability for responsibility on their own shoulders......That pole that I was talking about that I had pulled down? We had gone to court, and neither the company, or the power company who owned the pole, or the cable company who strung the line, would admit any wrong-doing. As our contract insures that,...as long as we are not committing a Felony,.....or DELIBERATELY violating a law,..they must accept all actions of the employee as their responsibility......Non-Union employees DON'T have that protection........Well,.....A year later, I went to re-finance my house,...and the Bank informed me that I had an $8,000.00 judgement against me pending! Because NONE of the three companies involved would settle,...the person whose car got speared had his insurance company file a lawsuit against ME, My employer, the cable company, and the power company.....I was NEVER informed by the company's attorneys that I was a CO-DEFENDANT..........Within 15 minutes of me being in the terminal manager's office, we had the attorneys on the phone,.....and they had an affidavit sent to the finance company,.....and we had a settlement in this case within a week........So,......How long do you think ABF and their attorneys were going to keep me in the dark about being a CO-DEFENDANT in a Civil suit?.....Remember,.....it was the BANK who informed me of this,.....not my employer. I was under the impression that it was done and over a year ago. I have all the papers in this case,.....just in case some company weasel is monitoring this site and thinks I am "defaming" this company. I would welcome a First Amendment fight. So,.....For those of you who think the company will...."Take care of you"....in the event you do something illegal,.....or ,...as in my case,.......something NOT illegal,....but costly to the company,.........Well,....I can only wish and hope you don't get a rude awakening......I almost lost my house,....and didn't even know it...
Interesting and unusual to say the least. I always thought it was the plaintiff's responsibility to notify any defendant in a case.

Interesting and unusual to say the least. I always thought it was the plaintiff's responsibility to notify any defendant in a case.
Apparently, they thought notifying the company attorneys satisfied that requirement. And since I'm just a lowly stupid truck driver, I didn't have to be involved with matters of litigation,.......,. until the attorneys...... "whistled"...... for their ..dog.. Didn't matter to them in the least that I had a pending judgement on my record, or that said pending judgement would be reflected on MY credit,.........What do they care about the finances of stinky, lowly peons? Why should they inform me of litigation? I guess to them,......that's like telling the worms in the garden that you're going to dig it up. I'm still insulted,........And I'm eternally grateful that our contract had language to protect my legal rights, ...,..I'd probably be living in a cardboard box if I was non- Union..........