Yellow | Problem newer volvos

pa-juggalo

TB Lurker
Credits
I saw a post earlier about the newer volvos late 1500 series and 1600 series, coming into contact with the trailer, and a fellow driver was charged with a accident. I was wondering if 1) Article 16 applied to this problem, because if the 2 touch in my opinion that would be a safety issue. 2) after going through the FMCSR's I came across
393.7 subpart F (3) Location
The lower half of a fifth wheel shall be located to that, reguardless of the condition of loading, the relationship between the king pin and the rear axel or axels of the towing motor vehicle will properly distribute the gross weight of both the towed and towing vehicles on the axels of those vehicles,will not unduly interdere with the steering, braking, and other maneuvering of the towing vehicle, and will not otherwise contribute to unsafe operation of the vehicles compromising the combination.

Any thoughts?

Probably better get a Steward's opinion instead of mine. I tend to agree with you, but we'd both lose...........ultimately the driver has control over the conditions and the manuvering. He either had the option to refuse to drive the truck, under the above mentioned safety subpart, or his actions caused the accident. And Yellow's theory is that EVERY accident is the result of negligence somewhere. I disagree with them, but that IS their stance, and they pay the bills, and determine the outcome on the safety record.........

It's a very nice try, but it won't work........

By the way, welcome to the NEW Truckingboards. I don't know anymore since they crashed who's new and who's not. I live in Indiana since 1980, but grew up and lived south of York for 26 years. Always glad to see someone from my home area on here!

You know the old saying "Da_ned if you do and da_ned if you don't". Things used to be in black and white but now the colors change from day to day.

Benny Hill said:
You know the old saying "Da_ned if you do and da_ned if you don't". Things used to be in black and white but now the colors change from day to day.

Sorry-- they don't change at all. Orange, baby!

ORANGE!

(the old boards had colors....maybe again someday)

I don't see this argument working. Remember how short things were before they changed the length limits? I can sympathize, I tried to find something older than a 158xx in Chicago to bobtail in last week. I sure wish the fellow who designed the platform for the radio would have thought to make the distance from the platform to the tie down the same as it was on the chain box too (subliminal message for KCG).

I have noticed a lot of problems with the newer Volvos. Especially the tractors with Violvo Power. I have have quite a few that have maybe 150 k miles on them that have airleaks on the charge air side of the turbocharger due to a bad o-ring coming out of the condenser housing, also have noticed a problem withte tractors popping and pullling when the brakes are applied. And of coarse no power in alot of the newer tractors.

I have noticed a lot of problems with the newer Volvos. Especially the tractors with Violvo Power. I have have quite a few that have maybe 150 k miles on them that have airleaks on the charge air side of the turbocharger due to a bad o-ring coming out of the condenser housing, also have noticed a problem withte tractors popping and pullling when the brakes are applied. And of coarse no power in alot of the newer tractors.
I have written a few of these up for popping also, the problem is with the kingpins on the front end. They are not greaseing them up like they are suppost to. They need to have the front wheels off the ground when greasing. They get worn out and the front end pops when you make turns and stop and start. WRITE THEM UP. Also VOLVO engines are dogs. They never had power and never will. They have had many problems with the new 51000 seires tractors also with burning the fuel. The fuel gets too hot before it hits the injectors causing it not to get a efficent burn. IE.. LOSS OF POWER. I could put up with the slow trucks if the seats in these trucks were better.

I saw a post earlier about the newer volvos late 1500 series and 1600 series, coming into contact with the trailer, and a fellow driver was charged with a accident. I was wondering if 1) Article 16 applied to this problem, because if the 2 touch in my opinion that would be a safety issue. 2) after going through the FMCSR's I came across
393.7 subpart F (3) Location
The lower half of a fifth wheel shall be located to that, reguardless of the condition of loading, the relationship between the king pin and the rear axel or axels of the towing motor vehicle will properly distribute the gross weight of both the towed and towing vehicles on the axels of those vehicles,will not unduly interdere with the steering, braking, and other maneuvering of the towing vehicle, and will not otherwise contribute to unsafe operation of the vehicles compromising the combination.

Any thoughts?

If you feel that it is a violation of the contract,file a greivence,and go from there.

The newer tractors are really tight with a 53 footer, heck the old ones were too. Gotta really watch with a driveway that angles up from the road going in and out. And I have had quite a few that blow out the rubber connectors to the aftercooler. They hiss under load. Making an already guttless POS, a more dangerous, roadclogging POS. I keep waiting to get called out on my graphic write ups. Doing 40 MPH on the hills on I-80 in Pa. is just flat out dangerous.

That low power is due to the new emmision standards, the popping a lot of times, is due to the need for new front spring eye bushing. The "tunk" is the leaf spring eye moving side to side. Tractors are production vehicles any more, with many problems.

I hope the mechanics check out the units I write up for bad front spring bushings. Or could be bad rear too.

You are driving down the road and all of a sudden, (Like Andew Dice Clay would say)
"I'm over here now" The truck has a mind of it's own.