Yellow | proposals

DRB

TB Lurker
Credits
I am a newbie to this site and thanks to 'CITY'... I am on it now. From what I see on these proposals and if it goes through... may as well figure on working as they do at conway and/or f-xfreight. All yellow is trying to do is get rid of road drivers and dock hands. I only need a few more years for pension and can see that in five years from now (if this one goes through) the new hires and younger brothers won't have to worry about voting on another contract because their probably won't be one. I certainly hope the majority turn this down. I still can't believe that our union officials made such a deal with overnight/ups... which gives the company a better leverage. Somebody dropped the ball on that frig'n deal

Don't worry my friend, I will vote NO on this garbage proposal & so will most of my teamster friends. In these tough times we need to be stronger as a union than ever before. Its not about money, its all about security for the young & old.

I don't like this proposal, I think its garbage. However, we vote this down and they refuse to bargain, we strike, or they lock us out, remember there are a lot of workers in this industry out of work right now. How quickly do you think we will be replaced. There are many who will cross our lines and even some of ours will (you know who they are too) and the gov't will support their every move.

It sucks, no doubt, but passing it might be the lesser of the two evils. If there is even a chance of stopping it anyway.

prounion; That is EXACTLY how YRC wants us to think. NOBODY EVER TAKES THE FIRST PROPOSAL!!! & WE SHOULDN'T EITHER!!! YRC & the Teamsters can't afford a lockout/strike, they will go back & fix this.

YRC made record profits for the first 4 1/2years of our last contract, & thats even during the 9/11 era. Don't you think its kind of ironic, when contract talks start YRC goes to HE!!. We can vote yes & eliminate jobs & positions (road drivers) or vote NO & act like a UNION!!

I voted no in '98 and I voted no in '03 and will most definitely vote HELL NO in '08, but guess it always passed anyway. Now if they can rig a presidential election, how hard do think it would be to fix the outcome of an election 1/1000th of its size. Everyone you ever talk to, will tell you they Voted NO, and guess what happens. You really think we still have a say in this, really, or is that just wishful thinking?

I'm just not that trusting anymore, been jaded too many times by big machinery, you can't go to battle with rolls of pennies when they are thowing bricks of hundreds.

I don't like this proposal, I think its garbage. However, we vote this down and they refuse to bargain, we strike, or they lock us out, remember there are a lot of workers in this industry out of work right now. How quickly do you think we will be replaced. There are many who will cross our lines and even some of ours will (you know who they are too) and the gov't will support their every move.

It sucks, no doubt, but passing it might be the lesser of the two evils. If there is even a chance of stopping it anyway.

A Union is a group of people that look out for each others safety and over all care. Its not looking out for ones self. I can't cuss you and your logic. I can't call you any names either. So all I'll ask of you is will you please change your Truckingboards name because it doesn't fit you very well.

(Warning: For your own safety please stay away from Hydrogen Peroxide, it could make you turn to foam.)

EVERYBODY PLEASE VOTE NO!

A Union is a group of people that look out for each others safety and over all care. Its not looking out for ones self. I can't cuss you and your logic. I can't call you any names either. So all I'll ask of you is will you please change your Truckingboards name because it doesn't fit you very well.

(Warning: For your own safety please stay away from Hydrogen Peroxide, it could make you turn to foam.)

EVERYBODY PLEASE VOTE NO!

I was thinking the same thing, but kept my mouth shut. Maybe promeaster?

pro-union, I'm thinkig you are probably right. Yellow's stock dropped from the $40 range to the $12 range. Vote no, and we'd be another Churchhill Trucking (closed when we went on stirke).. WE can vote to re-negoiate all we want-- that doesn't make the stockholders negotiate. They can't right now. They've got the banks after them.... Take away the stockholders chance to recover their losses and profit, and they will probably pull the plug and write off their losses. With the fuel prices rising, the economy slows as people buy less. Our trucks are running less and less full....

Look around-- how many other Union Jobs are their to go to if they closed the doors? Negotiating is always done from strength. When Teamsters struck in the past, there were dozens of other Teamster jobs in every city for each man to go to-- that's why we won. Yellow would negotiate because we actually HAD that option, and could leave them high and dry. Today-- neither side has strength-- both sides would lose calling their bluffs. I don't like this proposal at ALL--- but it's giving the established guys here raises, asnd gives us chances to make more and fill our trucks as we lose freight every day to the Fed-Exes and Conways of the World. It's a different world out there today. Vote it in-- we keep our $60,000 @ year jobs. Vote it down-- we get to beg the Nons to hire us for pittance. The Cartages grow, and possibly make more. Unfortunately, the Road probably loses, and goes from making $80 -$100,000 to making more like $60,000, so I see why they are mad. But remind everyone that's still a lot better than making $30,000 driving a Non-Union truck, and buying their own benes........ No one likes to say it-- but it's the truth, and most know it.......Vote no if you've got enough time in to retire-- but then, if there is no Union Contract making companies pay in-- who'll fund your retirement check? Remember, UPS saw this coming, and got out. The Government's broke-- they won't bail out our Teamster's Pension fund. Remember GM??????

The thing right now is Survival. It's that simple. Sometimes you have to punt and hope for better field position.....

I really think he's like the rest of us, scared of what might happen, some of us just handle it better, and are more able to risk our principles. :showoff:

You can sad-sack it all you want.....I'm one of the 4000 laid off already so my financial ruin is already in the works. I'm voting NO on principal......non-union trucks moving our freight in a fairly one bidding structure is on thing, handing it to them on a silver platter is quite another. It's time for you to break out your copy of HOFFA (if you own one) and look at the faces of the men and the equipment that they were driving on that frosty Pennsylvania morning, when they lined up to see James P Hoffa SR. off to the slammer?.....what has evolved from those times is a crying shame.....As I've stated before on these boards, I am a 3rd generation freight Teamster, everything that my Grandfather gave my Father and the life that my Father provided for our family came on the backs of those who had the balls to stand up and say "NO, not this time!" Zollars and Smid need a wake-up call, you know, along the lines like you get at these roach infested motels that they put us up in, when "Haji" thinks you've been there too long.....For the millions in compensation and perks that they receive, you'd think they would be educated enough to work with us instead of against us? There is strength in UNITY.

whatever the outcome it can't be good. I just went to church today and prayed. I then sat on my couch and watched the other church...football.

ARE you SURE this contract gives freight to the Nons? Or is it giving freight hauling to a third, independant party, as it states? My check is paid by Yellow Transporattion. The Road is paid by YRC. It is possible that they intend to combine the Yellow and Roadway Road Boards, call them a different corportation, and let them do what the contract says. I've worked for other companies that separated labor into other corporations-- they can then shut down one division or corporatiopn, and keep what they want.......Rhink outside the box, and less traditionally.....

Hint, in your last sentence, you say "You'd think they'd have enough sense to work with us, instead of against us?" Maybe we need to remember that as well, and reciprocate to survive. Maybe THEY are, and WE aren't??????? If they weren't co-operating, they'd have shut us down after they took all those losses.....

ARE you SURE this contract gives freight to the Nons? Or is it giving freight hauling to a third, independant party, as it states? My check is paid by Yellow Transporattion. The Road is paid by YRC. It is possible that they intend to combine the Yellow and Roadway Road Boards, call them a different corportation, and let them do what the contract says. I've worked for other companies that separated labor into other corporations-- they can then shut down one division or corporatiopn, and keep what they want.......Rhink outside the box, and less traditionally.....

Hint, in your last sentence, you say "You'd think they'd have enough sense to work with us, instead of against us?" Maybe we need to remember that as well, and reciprocate to survive. Maybe THEY are, and WE aren't??????? If they weren't co-operating, they'd have shut us down after they took all those losses.....
Man I got lost on this one. What loses? Record profits until 6 months ago is all I remember. Lots of smoke about how bad they are now. Guess everyone must believe what they will.

Man I got lost on this one. What loses? Record profits until 6 months ago is all I remember. Lots of smoke about how bad they are now. Guess everyone must believe what they will.

Stock months ago-- $40 range. Stock last week-- $12 range. Losses.

What always gives me a real hoot, is that the Freight Division VP and lead negotiator says this is the best we can get. Most of the 2 Man Committees say vote for it. Almost all the Local Prezs say vote for it. When prounion and I say we don't like it but will vote for it, we're "against everything Hoffa stood for" and against Unions........Makes no sense to me.......I thought we were supposed to get to vote before we were summarily taken out and shot?

Stock months ago-- $40 range. Stock last week-- $12 range. Losses.

What always gives me a real hoot, is that the Freight Division VP and lead negotiator says this is the best we can get. Most of the 2 Man Committees say vote for it. Almost all the Local Prezs say vote for it. When prounion and I say we don't like it but will vote for it, we're "against everything Hoffa stood for" and against Unions........Makes no sense to me.......I thought we were supposed to get to vote before we were summarily taken out and shot?

We'll just waterboard ya until you mark the NO box. Only joking. I can see the point of either vote and the reasons behind it. I got nothing to lose so I'm voting NO. Kinda curious what happens when you have a bunch of leaders that in no way support this that are your negotiators.

You can sad-sack it all you want.....I'm one of the 4000 laid off already so my financial ruin is already in the works. I'm voting NO on principal......non-union trucks moving our freight in a fairly one bidding structure is on thing, handing it to them on a silver platter is quite another. It's time for you to break out your copy of HOFFA (if you own one) and look at the faces of the men and the equipment that they were driving on that frosty Pennsylvania morning, when they lined up to see James P Hoffa SR. off to the slammer?.....what has evolved from those times is a crying shame.....As I've stated before on these boards, I am a 3rd generation freight Teamster, everything that my Grandfather gave my Father and the life that my Father provided for our family came on the backs of those who had the balls to stand up and say "NO, not this time!" Zollars and Smid need a wake-up call, you know, along the lines like you get at these roach infested motels that they put us up in, when "Haji" thinks you've been there too long.....For the millions in compensation and perks that they receive, you'd think they would be educated enough to work with us instead of against us? There is strength in UNITY.

I'll be voting NO too. I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid. If I have to I'll work at White Castle and then go to my janitorial job if thats what I have to do to support my family. But I won't lower my families standards because the Union companies want me to give up what we have all worked for all of these years. As others have stated, when Zollars and all of the rest of the mangers take cuts I will too. They make the decisions, all I do is carry them out. If they, the management, didn't make so many mistakes and we were hurting I would do what ever we, as a Union, needed to do to protect our jobs, period. I just don't see that its that way as of now. If we vote this contract in, we'll never get back what we loose. The main problem, as I see it, is that we are all used to getting something for nothing. The people that started this Union and the people that followed them, sacrificed so much. Some even gave up their lives to give us what we now enjoy. To give in and lower ourselves is a disgrace to them and ourselves as Teamsters. Vote what ever your own decision is, its your vote, but really think this time as to what it will mean to all of us, not just yourself.

Think about the Union and your family not just yourself. Do the right thing and Vote NO!

Most of the 2 Man Committees say vote for it. Almost all the Local Prezs say vote for it.

It was my understanding that the Two Man Committees consisted of the Local Union Presidents and the Local Union Freight BA's. So if 299 out of the 300 Two Man Committee members voted for it then you answered a question that I had, I guess it was a Local Union President that voted against it. Do you know which one, I'd like to send him a Thank You card.

I was always good at those solve the problem after you read the story questions in school, :hysterical:.

If I have to I'll work at White Castle and then go to my janitorial job if thats what I have to do to support my family. But I won't lower my families standards because the Union companies want me to give up what we have all worked for all of these years.

Well, it sounds like, unless White Castle and the janitorial job are unionized, you ARE lowering your standards........[/QUOTE]

Why cut your nose off to spite your face? We're getting significant raises and benes. My side (Cartage) is getting HUGE benefits. More Job security, able to grow more Teamster Jobs, and make loads more money.....

Or, like you said-- you can go to White Castle.....good luck organizing them. Who's going to pay the pensions if we close? UPS got out, and the Government lately has been telling underfunded pension groups to take a hike-- they're broke......

My side (Cartage) is getting HUGE benefits. More Job security, able to grow more Teamster Jobs, and make loads more money.....

That's the way to show "Union Brotherhood" Screw everyone else, I got mine!!