XPO | pto time for 2013

I'm not happy about the vacation time we lost (I lost 4 weeks), but I never went negative and never will. With nearly 2 years warning, anybody should be able to conserve enough vacation to eliminate the problem.

This is not a question about going negative or not. This is an option they took away. Now, lets say you have car insurance. You never use it. Then why have it? I don't tell everyone that I didn't use my car insurance this year and never will. The car insurance is there in case you need it. Going negative is an insurance policy. I am not saying you have to use it. So you save your 5 days for the new year, In January you have a car accident and you have to be off of work for 3 or 4 days. Then later January you get sick with a bad case of the flu, you burn 3 more days. You are now in violation of the new policy. I know that this probably won't happen but what if it does? See what I mean? They are just taking options away. This option is something they gave to us when taking our vacation time away. Now they are taking that away. Whether you use it or not is not the question. Having that insurance policy to fall back on is what I am talking about.

22 years, I think that qualifies me to compare changes.
you have your opinion, others have theirs.

To steal something means you no longer posses it. Have you not been able to scheduled every day of time off your service rank has earned you? So this opinion of theft losses my attention quickly. Under the old system upon reaching your magic "85", qualifying for retirement, you would be forced to work until January of the next year to receive your total earned days off. Most guys would wait and burn their vacation in December wanting to feel like they have retired, needing to just get to January to qualify to cash in their 5 weeks. This is an age-old mindset of the company being the bank... and I have to stick around to cash in. By changing the system of accrual all they hold over you now is the two week delay in your paycheck. Now, if your anniversary date is let's say April, the minute you satisfy your "85" (age + years of service) you can retire... no having to stay on-board until that next January waiting to get something they have held onto, held over you to stick around. They didn't steal your vacation, they took off the leash that forced you to wait for what you had already earned. Also, with an April anniversary date, the week of your anniversary, when you achieve the next level of earned time off (another week of vacation) you immediately start to earn at the new rate. So if this year, April 1st, you qualify for another week off, as of December 31st, you would have available another 3 3/4 days off... now, not next year. And... do the math. You receive 5 PTO days AND your earned vacation time annually. So after 22 years, I see 5 sick days and 5 weeks vacation. I do not schedule 30 days off, I hold a minimum 5 for "just in case". I never took sick days, I am lucky to continue with good health. The old system sucked. We all know those who abused the system and took everything they could. To take one day off under the old system you would lie to your employer and burn a sick day. Now you manage your own time taking a day wherever you want.

wipe your chin beerfd, you seem to have a little kool-aid right there... no, the other side... yea, right there

I no longer posses 5 weeks of vacation. Whether I wanted to wait to January to receive it is my choice. By the way, my anniversary is mid December so you can see this really dicks me. I would have to work a whole two weeks to get that 5 weeks of vacation. Bitter, hell yes I am bitter. I did my time, I paid my dues and at the end of the rainbow is an empty pot. 5 PTO days is NOT 5 sick days. It is only 3. You should remember that they gave you 1 personal day along with all your holiday pay. So, president's day was busy enough to justify us working so they quit paying us for president's day. They gave us another personal day to use instead. That's two personal days and 3 sick days that are all now PTO. I don't know about you and where you are at but out here at the old CWX we would get merit pay if we didn't use our sick days in a year's time. I was a merit achiever. By the way, that is something else they took away. So, again, it is not about the sick days for me, it is all about what they TOOK away. This has become a company of taking benefits from their employees. What have they given us lately? I am at a loss.

22 years, I think that qualifies me to compare changes.
you have your opinion, others have theirs.

To steal something means you no longer posses it. Have you not been able to scheduled every day of time off your service rank has earned you? So this opinion of theft losses my attention quickly. Under the old system upon reaching your magic "85", qualifying for retirement, you would be forced to work until January of the next year to receive your total earned days off. Most guys would wait and burn their vacation in December wanting to feel like they have retired, needing to just get to January to qualify to cash in their 5 weeks. This is an age-old mindset of the company being the bank... and I have to stick around to cash in. By changing the system of accrual all they hold over you now is the two week delay in your paycheck. Now, if your anniversary date is let's say April, the minute you satisfy your "85" (age + years of service) you can retire... no having to stay on-board until that next January waiting to get something they have held onto, held over you to stick around. They didn't steal your vacation, they took off the leash that forced you to wait for what you had already earned. Also, with an April anniversary date, the week of your anniversary, when you achieve the next level of earned time off (another week of vacation) you immediately start to earn at the new rate. So if this year, April 1st, you qualify for another week off, as of December 31st, you would have available another 3 3/4 days off... now, not next year. And... do the math. You receive 5 PTO days AND your earned vacation time annually. So after 22 years, I see 5 sick days and 5 weeks vacation. I do not schedule 30 days off, I hold a minimum 5 for "just in case". I never took sick days, I am lucky to continue with good health. The old system sucked. We all know those who abused the system and took everything they could. To take one day off under the old system you would lie to your employer and burn a sick day. Now you manage your own time taking a day wherever you want.

wipe your chin beerfd, you seem to have a little kool-aid right there... no, the other side... yea, right there

That's Colorado kool-aid on my chin..... You made me think of something.. I hardly ever took the sick days either, so I truely lost those. I should've taken them like everybody else.

This is not a question about going negative or not. This is an option they took away. Now, lets say you have car insurance. You never use it. Then why have it? I don't tell everyone that I didn't use my car insurance this year and never will. The car insurance is there in case you need it. Going negative is an insurance policy. I am not saying you have to use it. So you save your 5 days for the new year, In January you have a car accident and you have to be off of work for 3 or 4 days. Then later January you get sick with a bad case of the flu, you burn 3 more days. You are now in violation of the new policy. I know that this probably won't happen but what if it does? See what I mean? They are just taking options away. This option is something they gave to us when taking our vacation time away. Now they are taking that away. Whether you use it or not is not the question. Having that insurance policy to fall back on is what I am talking about.

What you say kind of puts into perspcetive... it makes sense...the insurance point of view. I know it's not going to be there, so I will have my own insurance policy, which is plenty of time off, if I need it.

I no longer posses 5 weeks of vacation. Whether I wanted to wait to January to receive it is my choice. By the way, my anniversary is mid December so you can see this really dicks me. I would have to work a whole two weeks to get that 5 weeks of vacation. Bitter, hell yes I am bitter. I did my time, I paid my dues and at the end of the rainbow is an empty pot. 5 PTO days is NOT 5 sick days. It is only 3. You should remember that they gave you 1 personal day along with all your holiday pay. So, president's day was busy enough to justify us working so they quit paying us for president's day. They gave us another personal day to use instead. That's two personal days and 3 sick days that are all now PTO. I don't know about you and where you are at but out here at the old CWX we would get merit pay if we didn't use our sick days in a year's time. I was a merit achiever. By the way, that is something else they took away. So, again, it is not about the sick days for me, it is all about what they TOOK away. This has become a company of taking benefits from their employees. What have they given us lately? I am at a loss.

There is a hole in your story here; You say that you were a "merit achiever"... ok, and you can't do the same thing and save some PTO days?

exactly

We didn't have to save a weeks worth of time. They stole 5 weeks of vacation from me and then told me I could go negative. So, I adjusted my lifestyle to that. Now I have to adjust my lifestyle again.

Okay, with that being said, some can save time and some can't. The palace doesn't give a tinkers hoot about anybody but the bottom line. You can just add this not being able to to negative to the long, long, long list of benefits they have taken from us. That's right, TAKEN/STOLE. You can not pretty this up in any way. Thieving, that's what it is called. Rob from you employees to justify your numbers for the board. I can tell you that any company that takes and takes from it's employees is not going to be around for a long time. What happens when there is nothing left to take from the employees? Where are you going to steal from to make your numbers?

Five weeks of vacation gone. Two weeks of sick pay, gone. Still making sub wages, no 401 match and the list goes on. Go ahead and try to make this pretty and make me understand. I can't. Now go out there you guys and give us 110% and pick up that one more shipment. Ask us for more and take from us in the process.

I am thinking that those running the company are not doing their jobs. Maybe a coo to take out the leaders like in Libya is in order.

Those that have been around since the beginning know all that has been lost and how this used to be a great place to work.

What is coming next year? Grab your ankles guys.

this is where i am confused how people say they can just adjust their lives to what the company takes away i agree with bigfoot because how much are you willing to adjust to can you be okay with one week off and 18 or 15 dollars an hour when is enough enough change happens in business that is a given but good must offset bad at conway only taking is going on we have been given nothing so what is in it for me i can only adjust so much before i look elsewhere however this is probably what they want so they can hire more 18 dollar an hour guys who don't care about retirement time with family or other benefits that i hired on to this company for

this is where i am confused how people say they can just adjust their lives to what the company takes away

The way I see it, we have two choices...adjust or go elsewhere. I personally am too old and been here too long to go elsewhere, and they know it. I have to stay here long enough to earn back what was promised but not delivered.

You will never be given back what was promised. Give em time and they will ask for legislature to wipe clean all pension liabilities. Claim they are not making enough money and use that as a reason.

You will never be given back what was promised. Give em time and they will ask for legislature to wipe clean all pension liabilities. Claim they are not making enough money and use that as a reason.

Yup. There is nothing happening to indicate they are done taking.

I believe this to be the beginning of the end been through it before apears to be unfolding the same they keep robbing the employees of money and benifits until no more can be taken then when no more can be sucked from the employees they either sell out to a competitor or slowly dismantel until they can no longer operate and there is no value left in the company until people wake up and see the reality the future is grimm at con-way i hope things would turn around but my faith in the broken promisees tells me the opposite we should all prepare ourselves for a future without conway even if the company stays in business unless you are close to retirement we all have to do something to componsate for the lack of a future here at conway the unfortunate part is that i truly enjoy my job it's a shame they are taking my future and friends i have made at work away from me

I believe this to be the beginning of the end been through it before apears to be unfolding the same they keep robbing the employees of money and benifits until no more can be taken then when no more can be sucked from the employees they either sell out to a competitor or slowly dismantel until they can no longer operate and there is no value left in the company until people wake up and see the reality the future is grimm at con-way i hope things would turn around but my faith in the broken promisees tells me the opposite we should all prepare ourselves for a future without conway even if the company stays in business unless you are close to retirement we all have to do something to componsate for the lack of a future here at conway the unfortunate part is that i truly enjoy my job it's a shame they are taking my future and friends i have made at work away from me

huh ???????

Oh, I know they'll never give it back. I have to keep working to earn the difference.

OMG, I guess I had better start looking for another job... this is the beginning of the end...

If you enjoy your job, then what's the problem. You make enough money, things change and if you don't change with it, well you get left behind.

No doubt we lost time. I figured out from two years ago how much I had carried over. I added what my total should have been at the start of 2010. Then I subtracted what I did take in 2010. What would have been left over was what I carried from 2009 under the old system, 24 hours or 3 days. Then figured what I intend to take for this year. When multiplying what is accrued per pay period by pay periods left and comparing that with what I will use, the difference is about 24 hours. Yes, they did take something I can't earn back no matter what.

OMG, I guess I had better start looking for another job... this is the beginning of the end...

If you enjoy your job, then what's the problem. You make enough money, things change and if you don't change with it, well you get left behind.
Kool-aid on the rocks please.