FedEx Freight | purchase transport

There is talk of getting rid of all return emty lanes and ship one way purchase transport????? that would get ride of a lot of runs.!!

That ain't talk. It has been happening for over a year at my house. We got a new customer and we got 4 new vans to load on outbound and hub.

FedEx is in business to make money. Period. Unfortunately they are not in business to provide you and I with a guaranteed job, paycheck, benefits, and retirement. Just because we are dedicated good ole boys who can drive a truck, peddle freight, and for the most part be all around swell tax paying, law abiding citizens of the USA, doesn't mean the FedEx wheel gives a flying rats behind. If adding P/T saves money and makes the number at the bottom of the page bigger, FedEx will do whatever it takes to accomplish just that. Sucks, but it's reality.

FedEx is in business to make money. Period. Unfortunately they are not in business to provide you and I with a guaranteed job, paycheck, benefits, and retirement. Just because we are dedicated good ole boys who can drive a truck, peddle freight, and for the most part be all around swell tax paying, law abiding citizens of the USA, doesn't mean the FedEx wheel gives a flying rats behind. If adding P/T saves money and makes the number at the bottom of the page bigger, FedEx will do whatever it takes to accomplish just that. Sucks, but it's reality.

Especially paying them only one-way, flat rate, free of maintenance cost, don't have to pay health insurance.,etc.. Yeah, the math....

But deep down they really do care about us............
The sleepless nights mgmt spends worrying about us is beginning to take a toll..............

:BS:So as a Road Driver when asked the question about job security what should my response be. This is what fuels the idea of representation. When runs get cancelled in the lane that my bid is in and our guys are sitting home it pisses me off when I see the same purchace trailer team drivers who run dedicated for their company haulin our freight coming in to our center every other night it HURTS MORAL!!!! :BS:

You are nothing more than a tool. Just like a Trailer or Dolly. If they need you they activate your number if not they remove it from the computer and show you idle. The day of taking care of our people is long gone. The Purple Promise is that someone will be making money and it probably ain't you!

I'm at the bottom..so my days are numbered... better get a paperroute and an app. at
MacDonalds...i luv thm cheeseburgers

Days numbered

If Fred wins these lawsuits against Ground whether contractor or employee. All road drivers days are numbered. Either buy a truck and lease it on or see you later, he would save way to much money. No health, 401k, or pension, vacation, sick leave, jury duty. He already has part-time dock workers hire a few more, and who needs road drivers to work the dock. No benefits for either job class.

This is the argument you get from management. We are cutting down on empty mileage. I have seen the same US Express driver at our Devore Ca break bulk center several times. I asked him where he runs to. He told me he has a dedicated run between Devore and Dallas running Fedex Freight both ways. Meanwhile we have drivers sitting at home waiting to go to work. TP

If Fred wins these lawsuits against Ground whether contractor or employee. All road drivers days are numbered. Either buy a truck and lease it on or see you later, he would save way to much money. No health, 401k, or pension, vacation, sick leave, jury duty. He already has part-time dock workers hire a few more, and who needs road drivers to work the dock. No benefits for either job class.

No need for the fear mongering. That will never happen. And I'm an extremely pessimistic person

Maybe, maybe not , if that was the case, why would they spend so much time and effort changing all the contractors to company drivers at fedex national?

Maybe, maybe not , if that was the case, why would they spend so much time and effort changing all the contractors to company drivers at fedex national?

The reason is that Freight and National...much like Express on the parcel side...are time-sensitive operations.
The goal is 99% on-time backed by money-back guarantees.
The trouble with contractors is that you always don't get the on-time %.
From my experience working at FedEx Ground...contractors own routes and territories and since they're paid by the box/load/pallet, etc...they don't like seeing other contractors in their areas. So they will try and max as much freight as they can onto their trucks...if they can't fit it all and a customer closes...so be it.
Contractors can sometimes refuse freight they don't want. This was a BIG problem at Watkins.
If a dockman/package handler puts a pallet/box in the wrong spot on a contractor's truck, the contractor may not go far out of his way to deliver it because...depending on how the freight pays...he has to pay for fuel/wear&tear on the truck.
Contractors with multiple routes often employ drivers to run their trucks. These guys aren't paid very well, so turnover is usually high.
Contractors will run their equipment down to the bitter end.

The main advantage in using contractors is COST, but you usually give up on-time%. Which is why it works for FedEx Ground and not FedEx Express.

There is some good news in the purchase transportation arena. At TOL for years they loaded a purchase to HGR off the hub at night. 2 weeks ago this purchase was done away with since the lane was balanced now. Now we load no purchase from TOL to HGR and have loaded trailers going both ways. That is the way to do away with the purchase loads, grow the volume on the receiving end and it will go away(or in this case it may be that there is not as much coming out of the TOL end) It is nice to see a purchase disappear.

25 purchase came into hub last night 5/28 sent four out to end of line centers 2nd night in a row purchase company couldnt cover 1 of the runs sent cdsa out with purchase trl wonder if western express got a coaching

25 purchase came into hub last night 5/28 sent four out to end of line centers 2nd night in a row purchase company couldnt cover 1 of the runs sent cdsa out with purchase trl wonder if western express got a coaching

Not calling you a liar, but how in the hell did a CDSA hook a single screw tractor to a 53' trailer without smashing in the back side of the cab? Those purchase vans are for twin screws.

We pull 53's all the time with single axles. Unless I'm missing something here. Our single axles are a liitle longer and even the sleeper units pull 53 footers.

It depends where the fifth wheel is bolted. We used to lease 53ft trailers and if we used a Kenworth it would bend the fairings. If you use a reclass volvo with no fairing it works fine

I'm not sure ...but I think our new X-vans are 53 foot dual axle...and we have several ....got rid of the G-vans ...I could get a tape out ..or find the tag .... nah ...to much work .... I know they are long when you back in next to them ......:TR10driving03: