ODFL | Q & A with David

This quote from the article tells you all you need to know

"Another regulation we would like to see rolled back include labor laws that have to do with vacations, state by state. This is another case where states and cities and counties that have special rules that say we have to give our employees a certain amount of time off. Same as with sick pay. We try to have a consistent benefits package yet we have to give an extra day or two of sick pay in certain states. These left-leaning labor laws that are being put primarily in states that are liberal are onerous to a company that has a national presence."

"Another regulation we would like to see rolled back include labor laws that have to do with vacations, state by state. This is another case where states and cities and counties that have special rules that say we have to give our employees a certain amount of time off. Same as with sick pay. We try to have a consistent benefits package yet we have to give an extra day or two of sick pay in certain states. These left-leaning labor laws that are being put primarily in states that are liberal are onerous to a company that has a national presence."

All right Mr Congdon, simple fix. Take the max amount and just give it to everyone across the board. Easy peasey. Love my job but for God's sake if shouldn't be a chore to give your employees time off for as hard as we all work!

I do like his idea regarding fuel tax being more efficient. I do like toll roads for convenience (the FL turnpike is a joy to run, plentiful service plazas and minimal congestion slowdowns) but I can't fathom the increase in cost to shippers for tolls on existing roads, which in turn will drastically increase costs for goods at the retail level.

I'm sure he doesn't like the states that force him to pay overtime either.

I'm sure he doesn't, but that is a law that needs to become federal law for ALL industries. I'm fine as a road driver getting paid mileage but our hourly employees mostly work over 50 hours/week and deserve that overtime for their added dedication to the company's success in spending exorbitant time at work.

I'm sure he doesn't like the states that force him to pay overtime either.

That's the only reason I became a city driver after many years of team and linehaul out East is because the state of WA forces the Cheap Congdon's to give us OT.

I'd be all for no raises this year if it meant giving all hourly employees OT after 40. It's the year 2017. Do the right thing. If you can afford to haul MLB for next to nothing you can give your employees OT.

That's the only reason I became a city driver after many years of team and linehaul out East is because the state of WA forces the Cheap Congdon's to give us OT.

I'd be all for no raises this year if it meant giving all hourly employees OT after 40. It's the year 2017. Do the right thing. If you can afford to haul MLB for next to nothing you can give your employees OT.
Might bring that OR number down to the rest of the ltl's. Then we'd be just another freight hauler with nothing to brag about. Oh well... guess we still got the Mastio to fall back on.

Might bring that OR number down to the rest of the ltl's. Then we'd be just another freight hauler with nothing to brag about. Oh well... guess we still got the Mastio to fall back on.

I was thinking too that the secret to our OR is screwing our bro's and sis out of OT.

Reactions: Ump

In my opinion we have already reached that level ....

Reactions: Ump

Do you have paid sick days, or just a paid day of? If someone wants to take a day off & have sick days, they will take off, sick or not. Now if they are out of paid sick days, then by all means have them bring in a doctors excuse. That helps protect them under 392.3. Yes drivers know how to play the game & use or abuse 392.3 to their advantage. I know, I was one of them. But I also didn't like losing 200 bucks a day in wages.. So Money, not fear from the company is what really controlled my being absent. Our TM years ago said to many people took off around the Labor day weekend when they did not have any sick days left. I said, 'you know we might take off for a long holiday, excused or not'. So why not plan for a smaller work force. He didn't like that response from me. But I pressed my point. If a person with no sick days wanted off, they will be off. Prepare for it. It was the truth but he didn't like hearing about it. He said what about the customer? I said their work force was doing about the same. The freight can wait till Tuesday. Just cover the Timekeepers, & deliver the rest on Tuesday. He still didn't like that analogy, but he couldn't fight it. For your are off or not. Regardless of the customer's freight. Your thoughts. von.

Do you have paid sick days, or just a paid day of? If someone wants to take a day off & have sick days, they will take off, sick or not. Now if they are out of paid sick days, then by all means have them bring in a doctors excuse. That helps protect them under 392.3. Yes drivers know how to play the game & use or abuse 392.3 to their advantage. I know, I was one of them. But I also didn't like losing 200 bucks a day in wages.. So Money, not fear from the company is what really controlled my being absent. Our TM years ago said to many people took off around the Labor day weekend when they did not have any sick days left. I said, 'you know we might take off for a long holiday, excused or not'. So why not plan for a smaller work force. He didn't like that response from me. But I pressed my point. If a person with no sick days wanted off, they will be off. Prepare for it. It was the truth but he didn't like hearing about it. He said what about the customer? I said their work force was doing about the same. The freight can wait till Tuesday. Just cover the Timekeepers, & deliver the rest on Tuesday. He still didn't like that analogy, but he couldn't fight it. For your are off or not. Regardless of the customer's freight. Your thoughts. von.

Take off without getting approval right before a holiday you don't get your holiday pay here. Keeps the workforce levels around to pick up everyone else's freight that's struggling because all their guys called in!

Take off without getting approval right before a holiday you don't get your holiday pay here. Keeps the workforce levels around to pick up everyone else's freight that's struggling because all their guys called in!
We had to work the day before or the the day after. One of those would get you paid. Take off Friday come back Tuesday the day after Labor day, ya got paid. von.