ABF | Q1 2021...Record quarterly revenue that increased 18% over last year.

They have to do something for the people who helped abf get where their at, not everything geared towards the new hires....Everything is in our favor and 5 years is a long time to get the crumbs they threw at us last time, the union better do a better job then last time....
You are right, in my opinion. ABF is offering thousands of dollars in sign on bonuses, ABF has waved the progression pay by starting new hires out at top pay and with immediate benefits. But those of us who work here got the 'same old thing'. I know ABF is trying to attract employees but what are we? Just lucky to have a job?

That is exactly what I'm planning. This next contract should be easy for the Teamster to negotiate, with ABF current profit margins, pressure to find employees and reduced pension payments. On the other hand, if we don't get significant raises in this next contract I may retire earlier, maybe as soon as the vote is completed.
But we all know the truth, both you and Steward are in the same boat.
You'll retire when mama gives you the OK.

You are right, in my opinion. ABF is offering thousands of dollars in sign on bonuses, ABF has waved the progression pay by starting new hires out at top pay and with immediate benefits. But those of us who work here got the 'same old thing'. I know ABF is trying to attract employees but what are we? Just lucky to have a job?
Look at it from the companies view, not many are going to leave once they get hired on, just gotta replace the ones who retire which is getting harder to do.

will you postpone retirement if ABF gives significant raises in this next contract? What, if anything, would keep you employed at ABF after retirement age?
I am 62 now so in theory I could retire now. Before I retire I want to know how much I will be getting from both the pension and Social Security. I need to have a healthy safety net in the 401k before retiring. The biggest issue I have currently is working 6 days a week on the road. This is getting really old after nearly 20 years of trucking. It would be getting burned out from lack of time off that would force me into retiring before my financial goals are met.

Look at it from the companies view, not many are going to leave once they get hired on, just gotta replace the ones who retire which is getting harder to do.
Most of the new hires at my terminal are just out of the military with the TMAP program. Many of the $10,000 bonus programs require a year of experience. I would think that a considerable number of them would leave after a year to go somewhere else to get a $10,000 bonus then change another year later to go to another company to get another $10,000 bonus.

One of our TMAP guys realized that if he stuck with truck driving for a career he would NEVER have a LIFE. Eat, sleep, drive, repeat over and over again is not a life. One day off a week will now be a shorter day off with turn bids. He left the trucking industry and found another job. Another TMAP guy found that diesel mechanics made good money and were in demand so he left driving and went into that.

Most of the new hires at my terminal are just out of the military with the TMAP program. Many of the $10,000 bonus programs require a year of experience. I would think that a considerable number of them would leave after a year to go somewhere else to get a $10,000 bonus then change another year later to go to another company to get another $10,000 bonus.

One of our TMAP guys realized that if he stuck with truck driving for a career he would NEVER have a LIFE. Eat, sleep, drive, repeat over and over again is not a life. One day off a week will now be a shorter day off with turn bids. He left the trucking industry and found another job. Another TMAP guy found that diesel mechanics made good money and were in demand so he left driving and went into that.
We have a 21 year old female coming from the military program, she starts on the 24th….she is replacing our outbound supervisor who is retiring (quitting) because of the way the terminal is ran….This is going to be very interesting….

We have a 21 year old female coming from the military program, she starts on the 24th….she is replacing our outbound supervisor who is retiring (quitting) because of the way the terminal is ran….This is going to be very interesting….
Oh...my...God. You poor souls. Best advice I can give you is.......on second thought, I have NO advice I can give you. Hold on for the ride!!

There were more than enough (not me though) that "looked at it from the companies view" the last two contracts. This go round, they need to look at it from our point of view. We took the concessions to help the company in 2013 and the crumbs they offered in 2018. Now that they are healthy, they need to reward their employees for helping them thru the so-called tough years.

Update….she sat in a chair on day one & was shown nothing, supervisor wanted to show her what to do & the TM said he wants to train her the right way….lol Second day she asked how long they get for lunch, TM’s reply was as long as you need. She doesn’t come back in over 2 hours, TM calls her she said she was sick. Today she was supposed to go with a driver all day & she didn’t show up today did she call off sick I don’t know?

Update….she sat in a chair on day one & was shown nothing, supervisor wanted to show her what to do & the TM said he wants to train her the right way….lol Second day she asked how long they get for lunch, TM’s reply was as long as you need. She doesn’t come back in over 2 hours, TM calls her she said she was sick. Today she was supposed to go with a driver all day & she didn’t show up today did she call off sick I don’t know?
was she exposed to COVID ? That will be time off with pay ! Smart cookie (hope Cookie is not sensitive)

She did call in sick today…. Maybe their is hope?

Our Tmap guy was with us a year, out hurt 3 times, then took a payout and never returned. Probably worked 4 months out of that year and thats being kind.
Our Tmap guy was with us a year, out hurt 3 times, then took a payout and never returned. Probably worked 4 months out of that year and thats being kind.
He cried when he had to work the dock. He said he was told he was hired as a truck driver.