Averitt | Qualcomms

ltl lifer

Sr. Citizen & Gold Member
Credits
I may have spoken to this somewhere along the way but if I have, it's worth repeating.

Most all of our forklifts have onboard computers that they use in loading and unloading. Based on what I can tell, the forklift driver can glean much information from these devices as to what door a shipment goes to, where a certain shipment is located, etc.

Step on one of our docks anywhere in the system and you will observe a dock worker punching up info on this little computer while he is looking at it. The dangerous part is that they are ALL able to do this while the forklift is moving. This makes for an extremely dangerous situation.

The reason for the above explanation is that once our tractors are in motion, our Qualcomms become useless. Yes we can hear the voice of Andrea Averitt read aloud information to us in that sing-song garbled tone that you need to be a rocket scientist to decipher.

If 30 forklift operators can roll over a small piece of concrete and be able to punch info into their computers with their eyes on the screen and not where they are going while pedestrians are walking about, why can't the drivers punch up the screen and read a door assignment or a dispatch conformation? I ride with my screen blocked out and many times am rolling by the time a response to a dispatch comes back. I'm not stopping to read the message. I guess my point is that if we can be distracted by fiddling around with the Qualcomm in an attempt to hear the message read to us, why can't we light up the screen and read the message?

This entire double standard baffles my mind. I have an idea for Central. Send me a text..... I'll read that (and yes, I know the rule/law about texting).:ranting2:

But i believe the difference drivers are being watched by the public eyes and its dangerous driving that huge truck and trailers around loaded with 30 thousand pouds or hazmat. One second away from the road can cause all type issues with multiple cars and people and worst with a haz-mat load. Plus they just rolled out a law In my state that all "Distracted" drivers will get tickets.. doesnt matter if your putting on makeup, checking your phone for directions. Your distracted if your seen doing anything while driving thats questionable.

I agree with Weasel, if Central has an important message they know they can use the "urgent" message feature to alert us. Myself I can click on the voice option and never take my eyes off the road, but that comes with using it a lot.

But i believe the difference drivers are being watched by the public eyes and its dangerous driving that huge truck and trailers around loaded with 30 thousand pouds or hazmat. One second away from the road can cause all type issues with multiple cars and people and worst with a haz-mat load. Plus they just rolled out a law In my state that all "Distracted" drivers will get tickets.. doesnt matter if your putting on makeup, checking your phone for directions. Your distracted if your seen doing anything while driving thats questionable.
I understand your point but I still stick by mine. A forklift operator could be moving hazmat and run in to me. There would be an equal lawsuit from me!
As for the urgent message, does Central not have EVERY cell phone nuumber of every driver? SO they send me an urgent message instead of calling. I have to pull off the road, slowing my forward progress, to read the message.

It goes back to the double standard. As for fiddling around with the Qualcomm to listen to it, I'll lread to it when I get to my destination but I'm not listening. If they want to get me a message, call, text, let me read the message on the QC. I'm not listening to it. Sorry. If it's THAT urgent, call me.

That's your choice Lifer, no biggie. To each it's own, but if my emergency message tone goes off I'm pushing the speak message function.

There is nothing 'urgent' that any company can contact me about if they call me on MY PERSONAL CELL PHONE!. My family and friends have my number, and I have caller I.D.If any employer wants me at their beck and call, furnish me with a company phone, otherwise I answer MY PERSONAL CELL PHONE at my convienience.

I like the idea about the voice messages'. When I get a call me message from my fleet manager,,,I'll call him on my cell...anyone one else from the company...it's all over the QUALCOMM so there is a RECORD!

There is nothing 'urgent' that any company can contact me about if they call me on MY PERSONAL CELL PHONE!. My family and friends have my number, and I have caller I.D.If any employer wants me at their beck and call, furnish me with a company phone, otherwise I answer MY PERSONAL CELL PHONE at my convienience.
You mean you don't write off your phone on your taxes? I do and have been doing so for years. I use the justification that I use it for business (which I do...I talk to other drivers and complain and laugh about AE...That's business right?).

I take my phone with me to work for my convienience and nobody else's. I have never written off my phone bill from my taxes, nor have I participated in any 'group discounts' that phone companies have offered employee's of certain companies. My reason is if company X has 200 employee's with phone company Y getting 10% off their bill, how long till company X want's the list from phone co.Y of the ph.#'s. It's not my employer's business what my cell phone # is.

I take my phone with me to work for my convienience and nobody else's. I have never written off my phone bill from my taxes, nor have I participated in any 'group discounts' that phone companies have offered employee's of certain companies. My reason is if company X has 200 employee's with phone company Y getting 10% off their bill, how long till company X want's the list from phone co.Y of the ph.#'s. It's not my employer's business what my cell phone # is.

Sounds like to me that someone is paranoid. I participate in the group discounts and your scenario will never happen. Lighten up.

I look at it as my convenience that they have my number. Things change, I work extra to make extra $$ and it's my choice when it comes to work, not their choice. I'd give them a couple of more cell numbers if it would save me more money on some of our discounts. I've used the Gm supplier, the cell phone, shoe carnival and others that may not be advertised. Some local business's will give you a discount (they would probably give anyone) if you say "hey, I've delivered tires here before" or whatever the case may be.

I'm with you guys. My cell number is no secret, we cancelled our home phone. And I love to save money, Verizon gives us 19% discount. I have our local members on management's cell number's too, echoing Lifer, Lighten up !