SAIA | Quality Control: Speed vs Claims Free

Brother Trucker

TB Regular
Credits
Having been a veteran of this industry for far too many years one of the things observed is that when an empahsis is placed on how much gets moved on a cross dock basis, it seems that the quality of work slides and damaged freight and all of the baggage that goes with it increases!

Too many times I have shown up at a customer's place of business with folded, spindled, and mutilated freight. A riduculous example of this was one time when an 8 ft box of flourescent light bulbs was put on the trailer and I could fold the box in half.

It would seem that if speed was deempahasized and careful work habits were nurtured, that as the quality of work improved so would the speed. I know that as I put quality into my driving habits I soon improved in speed of delivery.

Any thoughts?

Quality Control: Speed vs Claims Free :
That makes sense to working folks but not to the number scrunchers.

i once delivered a taxidermy fish a big marlin cut right in half i was so embarresd now that i look back it pretty dam funny lol

Quality Control: Speed vs Claims Free :
That makes sense to working folks but not to the number scrunchers.

If it was up to me it seems that this would make sense:

(1) Slow the operation down just enough to retrain the dock to put claims reduction as the first priority. Production would have to be secondary in importance. It makes sense to teach proper freight handling including recoopering busted boxes, learning how to use the side shift on the forklift, using more than one layer of wrap when wrapping pallets, proper use of load locks and dunnage, sweeping trailer floors and pulling up nails after the chocks have been pulled up.....and you can add to the list.

(2) Reward the individual employee, 1st line managers/supervisors, and on up the food chain for reducing claims. Don't be afraid to pay back to the employee some of the gains for reducing that cost which handicaps the very thing any freight company provides-service! That just might give folks a greater incentive to self correct and also to help others to do a better job.

Having been a veteran of this industry for far too many years one of the things observed is that when an empahsis is placed on how much gets moved on a cross dock basis, it seems that the quality of work slides and damaged freight and all of the baggage that goes with it increases!

Too many times I have shown up at a customer's place of business with folded, spindled, and mutilated freight. A riduculous example of this was one time when an 8 ft box of flourescent light bulbs was put on the trailer and I could fold the box in half.

It would seem that if speed was deempahasized and careful work habits were nurtured, that as the quality of work improved so would the speed. I know that as I put quality into my driving habits I soon improved in speed of delivery.

Any thoughts?

Heck how can you be fast or effective when trailors have holes in roofs and floors and when it rains everything gets soaked, I would say at least 20% of our trailors have holes in them and why spend a hundred dollars on repairs when you can spend thousands on claims

I have seen dock hands stack 500lb pallets on top of pallets of light bulbs!! The sad part was the supervisor told him to do it!! Its all about making the weight and bill count on the trailers!! I think to get paid on a claim the person making the clam has to do everything right to get paid!! I don't think many people know exactly what to do!! Its easy to deny a claim!!

Heck how can you be fast or effective when trailors have holes in roofs and floors and when it rains everything gets soaked, I would say at least 20% of our trailors have holes in them and why spend a hundred dollars on repairs when you can spend thousands on claims

As a former P&D driver, I can safely say that part of the job description is tree trimmer and the tool of choice is a 13'6" trailer. :biglaugh:

Now, those are not holes in the floor. It is the latest innovation in internal trailer lighting. They are called "floor lights".:hysterical:

DUHH, if a dockworker makes 18 $/HR and a box of beding sheets from Wal Mart is you figure @ about 30-40$ per pack depending on the thread count. and about 6 packs per case, that makes each case 'bout 150-200$$. seems like the company would rather pay the dock***** an extra half hour or even an hour @ 18@/hr. to take his time and load it right rather than paying the 500$$ claim for riped or torn sheets with all that black dock dust on them from the fork lift tires and exhaust. ROGER. 4 :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

As a former P&D driver, I can safely say that part of the job description is tree trimmer and the tool of choice is a 13'6" trailer. :biglaugh:

Now, those are not holes in the floor. It is the latest innovation in internal trailer lighting. They are called "floor lights".:hysterical:

Dude That funny, I told my tm that i felt unsafe to back a 48 around 3 corners. he told me i need you to try again. was about to quit but the tm of the house said nom so I went LH
P&D not for me:butt kiss:

DUHH, if a dockworker makes 18 $/HR and a box of beding sheets from Wal Mart is you figure @ about 30-40$ per pack depending on the thread count. and about 6 packs per case, that makes each case 'bout 150-200$$. seems like the company would rather pay the dock***** an extra half hour or even an hour @ 18@/hr. to take his time and load it right rather than paying the 500$$ claim for riped or torn sheets with all that black dock dust on them from the fork lift tires and exhaust. ROGER. 4 :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

I asked one of the higher ups about this and their response was that a dock mentoring program was in place to help the newbies learn the right way to do things.