FedEx Freight | Question about DFW terminals

JRut

TB Lurker
Credits
I know there are terminals in Dallas, fort worth, and Irving. The Irving terminal is right down the street from me. Of course none of them are hiring right now because of this slowdown. But I just moved to this area for a new job driving for Dr. Pepper and just curious about what kind of runs or work/hours I would expect to get from these locations (mainly Irving)...i plan on staying where I'm at for a couple of years atleast to get more experience (I'm only 23), but I definitely want to get on with FedEx in the future because the money here just doesn't compare. Thanks!

Driver, Fedex doesn't lay people off anymore. They will starve you out until you quit. It's either feast or famine with this outfit.

Freddie doesn't lay people off very often but when he does it affects a lot of people.

Another thing to consider is the fact that bottom road drivers are basically glorified dock hands with a cdl. Expect shuttle runs between DAL and FTW for a very long time.

Yeah I would expect to start out as a city driver first I'm guessing.. I'm not making a decision on it soon or anything just getting some honest opinions on all this. Thanks so far for the replies.

LTL isnt what it used to be. And it's changing like any other natural process...But that doesnt pay the bills. So unless you have some seniority at any LTL you're gonna eat **** for a very very long time.

You wouldn't run p&d out of Irving. You'd do that out of the FTW's ( there's two) , SDA off loop 12 just S. of I-30 on the west side, or EDA in Sunnyvale off US 80. The place to be is Irving as a road driver. Once there In a couple of decades you'll make a good living.

They do have good compensation and good benefits.

So that would explain why Irving is never hiring! And I hear ya on the seniority..but I am still young so id be willing to put the time in right now and get my name on the list..

Would Irving ever hire some road drivers off the street? Or would they get the P&d guys from ft worth to transfer over

Great thanks for the info..will definitely keep all this in mind if/when I get ready to apply.

Just applied for the road driver position in Dallas that just opened up. Things must be picking up if they're gonna post an opening for road driver?? Anyway I don't expect to get it as it should be filled by an internal employee but thought I would try. Wish me luck!

Just applied for the road driver position in Dallas that just opened up. Things must be picking up if they're gonna post an opening for road driver?? Anyway I don't expect to get it as it should be filled by an internal employee but thought I would try. Wish me luck!

We mainly hire road drivers off of the street. City drivers at my barn have no interest in being road drivers!! Good luck!!

thanks! Do city drivers work the dock alot? I heard that you would as a road driver so just wondering. Day shift sounds better to me anyways

thanks! Do city drivers work the dock alot? I heard that you would as a road driver so just wondering. Day shift sounds better to me anyways

The bottom guys sometimes work the dock. It just depends on freight levels. We just did a rebid and added some 4/10 shifts so the bottom guys will get to hit the street. Everyone has their own opinion on FedEx so it is best to decide for yourself! Somedays I wonder why I ever agreed to work here, but for the most part I really enjoy my job. Once you are out of the yard life gets a lot better!! Good luck!!

Yeah learned alot so far by reading all these FedEx posts .heard good and bad.. Mostly bad. But people tend to want to complain about their jobs anyway which is understandable. I'm just tired of low paying jobs I don't typically talk about my pay but I drive a dr. pepper truck to grocery stores, make 13.50$ an hour. Barely enough to get by after paying bills. That's not even 40K a year! I heard I might be sitting at home by the phone alot with FedEx don't know how true it is. But I really am just looking for better pay and good company. Was thinking about foodservice and have applied at several food service places but no luck. We'll see what happens I guess. I've also applied at FedEx a few times with no luck either! but again we'll see. and thanks for all the feedback good and bad