FedEx Freight | Question About Hiring

Johnnyr33

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm currently laid off from YRC and working OTR for the past year pulling tanker .The Fed Ex Terminal nearby is hiring for linehaul and I was wondering with the current merge that your going thru if anyone thought this would be a safe move or would I just be laid off again or moved so far down the list that I would only get a couple days a week worth of work. I would like to get back home with the family, but currently have very good medical benefits and a good 401 match, and would hate to lose these benefits and any vacation time at my current company if this would prove to be a mistake.
Thanks for any input

Certain locations are doing a bunch of hiring. Where are you located and we'll see if anyone know how many that center is hiring.

Remember, as with any company out there, your job is only as secure as the next bean counters new idea to increase profit.

I would tell you to stay where your at. You've established yourself with them allready and like you say you've got good beanie's and 401k
In year's past especially here in Mi. management frowned upon hiring people that worked for a union carrier.You would go to the bottom of the board at FDX. FRT. You might end up with table scrap's.
I got a friend down south, not a big center, he's got a wife and kid's and he's gettin next to nothin for hour's

Stay where your at, is what I would tell ya.

Sounds like you got a coupla good things going for you now with the bennies. This FedEx thing is too volatile right now, and the constant drop in average daily shipments is adding so more unknowns to the mix.

Do what you feel is right, but if I were in you're shoes, I wouldn't make a move at this point.

you would have notthing to worry about this merger is different then yrc's and we have a penison, 401k, and medical that are out standing start rate is .4864 and 20.30 an hour come over we have a bunch of you guys all ready is a great place to work! i wouldn't lie i have 7 years between cf and roadway so some of these guys who complain have know idea how good they have have it here.

you would have notthing to worry about this merger is different then yrc's and we have a penison, 401k, and medical that are out standing start rate is .4864 and 20.30 an hour come over we have a bunch of you guys all ready is a great place to work! i wouldn't lie i have 7 years between cf and roadway so some of these guys who complain have know idea how good they have have it here.
well, apparently your in a good spot, don't confuse it with most

It might be a good idea to stay where you are until the dust clears. Jan 30th the merger will be completed. If you do get on after that date, depending on where you are, you'll probably start off on line being a shuttle driver. You'll drive to a hub, work on the dock all night, then drive back to your spoke terminal. You people at YRC have been through a lot. Good Luck TP

Thanks everyone for your input. I probably will stay put until after your merger and see how things shake out for you. The location I was speaking of for those of you that asked is Hot Springs, Ar. I wish you all the best thru your merger and Happy Holidays to you and your families..

Here you are trying to get in.
And here I am trying to get the hell away from this :shit:ty, dead-end biz and this POS company.
What a world, eh?

Here you are trying to get in.
And here I am trying to get the hell away from this :shit:ty, dead-end biz and this POS company.
What a world, eh?

Mike,

If you don't like it here , why don't you quit? You have nothing positive to say about Fedex. I'm sure there are plenty of others who would like to fill your position. I voluntarily left YRC to come here and it turned out to be a great job.

Yea, if I left YRC I would think working anywhere else would beca better job. Look mate, an assload of folks are and have been getting screwed in this company and obviously your just one happy camper who prefers to turn a blind eye to the plight of everyone else here. Just wait till it's your turn to take a bite of the crap sandwich

A job is a job. Some pay better than others. Money isn't everything. I've quit good paying jobs because I wasn't happy. If this one goes to ::shit::, I'll find another.

I've done the same guardrail. My input is it all depends on your barn. I have a good crew that runs KCY so I am for the most part happy. Now I also have made more and worked less. I knew comming here to KCY that a road job don't happen and I will bust butt for a few years and gravy will trickle down from time to time. Starting out at FedEx at the bottom of the city board stinks but if a guy can get on at a small barn that's unaffected by the merger and start on the road I would say your looking at a good thing. What do I know though I bust butt breaking freight with a road run here and there

I've done the same guardrail. My input is it all depends on your barn. I have a good crew that runs KCY so I am for the most part happy. Now I also have made more and worked less. I knew comming here to KCY that a road job don't happen and I will bust butt for a few years and gravy will trickle down from time to time. Starting out at FedEx at the bottom of the city board stinks but if a guy can get on at a small barn that's unaffected by the merger and start on the road I would say your looking at a good thing. What do I know though I bust butt breaking freight with a road run here and there

So at freight it is hard tohire on as a road driver??