Holland | Question for Holland drivers?

Benny Hill

I'm Back (kinda)
Credits
Does anyone know of any Central States Holland terminals having a driver training program going for dock only casuals? I'm talking about people that are 21 or older and have no CDL or CDL driving experence. I heard that Holland was going to start a training program to help Holland with their shortage of CDL drivers. :stirthepot:

Grizz said:
Atlanta is the only one I know of. Couple of our guys went through it last month. GRIZZ
Hey Grizz, how long does it take from when they start to they finish? We heard that it would be 8 weeks of training at a terminal, then 4 weeks of formal training, then they would have to get their CDL, then they would have to wait for the background check for their Haz-mat endorsement. Do you think it is a good ideal to have inexperienced drivers working with old hands that have been around and feel that these people haven't "paid their dues yet"? And finally, will they still have to go through a 30 day probation like everybody else did before they are regular employee's? Come on Grizz, I know you have all the answers!

I was told a dock hand was going to wichita ks for driver training it is yellow doing the training he said it would take 3 weeks this is out of KC

Detroit has it. It got voted down in pontiac.No probation after all the hoops you dive trough.After all the training and all the tests you are to go right on the roster. I don't know how long it is taking. WQe haven't heard.

I know that Toledo has it. I saw the signed agreement with Local 20 there. We had a meeting here in Columbus with the company and the Local. The Local says it's not going to happen here in Columbus. They say it is just a smokescreen to get the non qualified people in. Once they are in we'll never get rid of them. Don't let it happen if you can help it. Let the company send the people to school first then hire them out of school. Werner and others are doing it.

rtm457 said:
I know that Toledo has it. I saw the signed agreement with Local 20 there. We had a meeting here in Columbus with the company and the Local. The Local says it's not going to happen here in Columbus. They say it is just a smokescreen to get the non qualified people in. Once they are in we'll never get rid of them. Don't let it happen if you can help it. Let the company send the people to school first then hire them out of school. Werner and others are doing it.
Your post makes a lot of sense, thanks. We vote on it a week from Saturday.

If there is anybody at any of the terminals, that have the training program up and going that reads this post, let me know how it's going there. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? I have mixed feeling's about the program. I can see it both way's, but I don't know which way to vote either for or against. Any more opinion's or thought's would be very helpful to me. Thanks to everybody that has posted so far.

I hear the program is run by YRC and they use retired teamsters they can work up to 40 hrs per month & not hurt retirement YRC is doing this to train young teamsters sounds good to me YRC gets trained drivers and and we get new members and they have a good UNION job what could be better??????

Sounds like a waist of time and money to me.... we're not clearing the boards now. Most of the trainess probably want stay long..( at 75%, maybe 3-4 days work, 1400-2100 miles, then you put them in a orange and white that rides, drives and pulls like a jackass on steroids and acid. "Not to mention the lay-offs coming in NOVEMBER. ( We'll see )

Ray I don't get it either. We just put 7 men on in the city (ME) last Friday. I'm glad to see these young men join the union, but they will find out in the near future what union life under the YRC is all about. Holland is no different than any other company reguarding hiring. Anybody that has a CDL is hot property or something. GRIZZ

The guy in K.C. that went to driving school got hired when Holland opened. He got hired as #2 on sen. list. How he got hired without being Qualified is unreal. Also the #1 man they did the same with. A lot of good Dugan people that supported the union got a dose of what our union was like. Those people got voted out and hopefully the other few will be back to driving a truck or retired.

The guy in K.C. that went to driving school got hired when Holland opened. He got hired as #2 on sen. list. How he got hired without being Qualified is unreal. Also the #1 man they did the same with. A lot of good Dugan people that supported the union got a dose of what our union was like. Those people got voted out and hopefully the other few will be back to driving a truck or retired.

Do you even know what your talking about???? Who are those people and what did they get voted out of?? We didn't have a lot of supporters or we would have been union in KC and possible not lost my 3 weeks vacation I had and not started @ 75%. Also the # 1 & 2 men on the board were long time union men (they were Article 3.2 of the NMFA) with the minimum Holland requirements and non of the dugan guys were union men most all the dugan guys took the job because of the seniority agreement between IBT & Holland thats the only reason they would have been just as happy if it was non-union

GR has it, trained two people last year, but it didn't work out for them. One turned out to be a terrible driver, and the other left to join the US Marines just after completing the training.

Hey Grumpy the #1 man worked at C.F. for alot of years but never drove a truck in his life. Not even a hostling buggy at C.F. As far as # 2 the only experience was working at the organizing dept of IBT and they let him go. If he met Hollands requirements he wouldnt of had to go to driving school right. I was referring to the city not road Grumpy. The top 3 on the road all had alot of driving experience.