R&L | R&L Drivers Leaving for Walmart Transportation!!!

Richard Herbert

TB Lurker
Credits
There are not alot of good driving jobs out there, this is a fact...:(

This allows R&L, and other LTL carriers, to treat their drivers with contempt, that they are not valuable to the company, and are more of a liability than anything else.

Good safe drivers with 10-15, or 20 years or more, are treated as dispoasable, and treated as though they are a liability to the company, because they are topped out on pay, vacation, and benefits...R&L does NOT value your years of safe driving experience.

R&L wants to get rid of the guys topped out, and replace them with Paramount drivers, making half the pay, with half the benefits...Thats the direction R&L is going in...Not a bright future, if R&L stays in business in the future, when there are more Paramount drivers than R&L drivers, what do you think will happen then? R&L drivers pay will be lowered to Paramount drivers pay.

I worked for R&L for 18 years, without any tickets or accidents....It was a great place to work for years, until Senior stepped away from running the company, and turned it over to outsiders.

Walmart Transportation is hiring Professional drivers, and will VALUE you years of safe driving experience...:icon_dance:They look at drivers with years of safe driving experience as an asset, and want to hire these SAFE drivers...

Myself, and two others from my terminal have recently left R&L to join the Walmart Private Fleet.I have been told by those in management, that Walmart has hired many R&L drivers system wide... I am now getting calls daily from 5-6 of my friends who are still at R&L at the terminal I worked at, who are wanting to join Walmart Transportation...

If you are tired of the direction of R&L, and want a REAL job, driving Excellent equipment, making Excellent money, and working for a company, that will treat you like a true PROFESSIONAL, you may want to consider applying with Walmart..

I worked for usf dugan in jax. fl. was a real good job till yellow came along.an shut them down.

I worked for usf dugan in jax. fl. was a real good job till yellow came along.an shut them down.
Yeah to bad that ******* bill zollers put a lot of God men out of work,I drove out of Wichita. Good luck to you.

congrats and condolences. congrats on landing a prime job, condolences on having to leave r&l to do it. We retired 2 1/2 years ago, and it was terrible then. I can onlu imagine what its like now. hope you enjoy your new job. r&l has a great number of really fine drivers, and they will lose more as things get better.

Thanks, I feel the same way!!! I never wanted to leave the company , and thought I would retire from there...I didn't leave the company, the company left me!!!

When R&L hired Zimmerman, and the YRC crew, they made it VERY CLEAR, that they didn't give a damn about the drivers, the way the "Old man" did, and could care less about less about the employee's who help build this company into what it had become...

I didn't want to waste my life, working for a company that shows "COMPLETE CONTEMPT AND DISREGARD" for the hard working men and women who work there...If they are in business in 5 years, I will be surprised...I don't think they could have run this company into the ground any faster if they had tried...

I have total respect for Senior, he is a great man in my opinion, but in my opinion, his worst mistake ever was NOT hiring Zimmerman, his biggest mistake has been, NOT GETTING RID OF HIM, after it is clear to all, HOW INCOMPETENT HE IS!!!

congrats and condolences. congrats on landing a prime job, condolences on having to leave r&l to do it. We retired 2 1/2 years ago, and it was terrible then. I can onlu imagine what its like now. hope you enjoy your new job. r&l has a great number of really fine drivers, and they will lose more as things get better.

Good luck Richard, you have been talkng about leaving for a long time and finally you have found a new home. Still can't seem to stop bashing the company that got you to the point you are at now. Company was around a long time before Mr. Zimmerman and will be around a long time after. Most of managment in the company are self starters who started working here long ao. Some started on the dock, some started in the seat, but most of managment started with R&L or a company that Sr. was fortunate enough to purchase. No one can dispute that the company is were it is at because of the people behind it. Reguardless of your opinion things are not as bad as they may seem to some. Bill counts go up and down some work long hours some don't get enough. At the end of the day when its all said and done everyone gets paid what is owed, nothing more nothing less. The first ones let go during the hard times the last few years were not drivers, dock workers but field managers, sales people and the administration positions. When it came down to letting drivers, dock workers or mechanics go it was simply about their performance and nothing more . Simple fact is each of us agreed when we were hired to work for a wage and give 100% as long as we got paid at the end of the week. We did they did and thats that. Unfortunatly some people grew unhappy with the direction of the company and made a decition to go elsewere. For whatever their reason that is their personal decision and I respect it as I respect your decision to leave. For the rest Including myself I choose to stay and make the best of it. The day I feel that the company has not kept their part of the bargin I will leave without incident and without remorse. R&L has been good to me even though I don't always agree with some of the practices. In saying that I am sure that you did your best but became unsatisfied with your situation. I truly wish you the best of luck but respectfully ask that you would stop bashing the company that paid you for many years and look forward to your new position. For the rest of us I hope that anyone else disatisfied would just leave and hopefully open up a position for someone in the country the needs a job.

Sorry for the rant everyone but considering current econonomic conditions I think we all should take a look at the big picture and not be so damn afraid of change.

PS I am not in managment so don't start.

Alot of us that post on this forum do so to let off steam and ask for others to look at our statements to see if we really have a bi%^h. To suggest that we should just be quiet and go with the flow is non productive. We will not be quiet and look at the big picture thru rose colored glasses. All of us are professional drivers, without us, there is no R and L.

Nobody said shut up and go with the flow. If you can't read into it I meant to say. Be objective, look outside the confines of your wallet. This is not about beating down on drivers. Yes there would be no R&L without Drivers. Guess What? No R&L without the sales team to sell the freight, No R&L without the Mechanics keeping the wheels on the ground, No R&L without the billing clerks billing the freight, Accountants,Janitors and yes even Lawyers who have to waste time and R&L money to defend sometimes riduculas suites based on sue the company with the deepest pockets.

Simple concept, Don't like it leave. Got a real concern its not going be be fixed bashing the company on a blog. Step up, make the complaint and if you don't get action go to the next in line. Don't like there answer go to Jeff C in HR. He is a fair leader that is truley concerned about the welfare of ALL employees.

Simple concept, Don't like it leave. Got a real concern its not going be be fixed bashing the company on a blog. Step up, make the complaint and if you don't get action go to the next in line. Don't like there answer go to Jeff C in HR. He is a fair leader that is truley concerned about the welfare of ALL employees.

You make it sound so easy, have you ever heard of retaliation? In case you did not know, it happens a lot. So going to Jeff if your problem is not fixed is a death sentence with your job (at least in my region). You are better off to quit on your terms than you are to go to him and be starved out or forced out. Don’t get me wrong, I like what you have to say, but it is just not realistic.

Dont you think it is better to bash a company on a blog and get it off your chest, rather than go into work and go postal on someone? Everyone on here has a right to vent. Why are you so offended by our rantings? The guy standing next to you on your next shift might be one of those venters.

You make it sound so easy, have you ever heard of retaliation? In case you did not know, it happens a lot. So going to Jeff if your problem is not fixed is a death sentence with your job (at least in my region). You are better off to quit on your terms than you are to go to him and be starved out or forced out. Don’t get me wrong, I like what you have to say, but it is just not realistic.

Yup, all one does is get labeled a troublemaker and then you become a target to be pummelled for somone's amusement..

Vent away my friends, I would just like to have someone once and a while say somthing decent about the company that feeds us. As bad as it may seem to some, some of us have a good gig. Believe it or not that some people look at these blogs when deciding to work for a company and I would hate to think that opportunity for us gaining good hands is being wasted on so much negitive talk. Our company will only stay sucessfull if we add quality people to the already awsome group we have assembled so far. I am just a low end guy who appreciates his coworkers and respects his leaders reguardless of their opinions just as I am glad you repect my opinion even when you don't agree with it. My challange to everyone that follows this page is to list at least one thing you are greatful for or like about the company. For everyone that responds I will be glad to have a little rant abouth the things I hate but have not shared. Lets have fun with it.

Scully, JAX

Vent away my friends, I would just like to have someone once and a while say somthing decent about the company that feeds us. As bad as it may seem to some, some of us have a good gig. Believe it or not that some people look at these blogs when deciding to work for a company and I would hate to think that opportunity for us gaining good hands is being wasted on so much negitive talk. Our company will only stay sucessfull if we add quality people to the already awsome group we have assembled so far. I am just a low end guy who appreciates his coworkers and respects his leaders reguardless of their opinions just as I am glad you repect my opinion even when you don't agree with it. My challange to everyone that follows this page is to list at least one thing you are greatful for or like about the company. For everyone that responds I will be glad to have a little rant abouth the things I hate but have not shared. Lets have fun with it.

Scully, JAX

You are right Scully, some do look at these blogs when deciding to work for a company!!! That being said, to anyone looking for a job, if you have ZERO experience as a truck driver, or very little experience, and want to gain some driving experience to get a REAL JOB, R&L would be a good place to go...Understand, that the management has very little in the area of people skills, or respect for the worker.

To your challenge, the one thing I am grateful for is that I don't work there any longer, and I am grateful that alot of my friends who do work there are finding other employment.

I am trying to decide something about you Scully, you make it a point to say you are not management, before anyone even leveled the charge...Your posts seem to indicate the contrary...My guess is Copsey!!!

BTW, any drivers out of Wilmington, Walmart is hiring in Washington Courthouse Ohio...

I don't know for how much longer, the job has been posted for over a month,you have to go online to apply...

You got me Richard, so I guess I will tell you one thing I hate about the Company.

Often times some Managers are spinless in letting Blowhards keep their jobs and bring down the morale at the terminals. Thats just what it does. Misery loves Company. Good luck again I am glad you have finally been freed from the R&L chains of bondage.

Not Copsey. Scully from Jax.

Scully, I actually agree with you about the Spineless managers allowing the morale to be destroyed!!! I really can't understand why R&L (Senior) allowed it to happen...

It was such a great place to work for years...

Good luck to you as well, I wish you the best!!!
You got me Richard, so I guess I will tell you one thing I hate about the Company.

Often times some Managers are spinless in letting Blowhards keep their jobs and bring down the morale at the terminals. Thats just what it does. Misery loves Company. Good luck again I am glad you have finally been freed from the R&L chains of bondage.

Not Copsey. Scully from Jax.