R&L | R&L or reddaway

I have an offer for both? Who’s the better to tart with to get my experience with and still make good money to
Reddaway. The insurance your going to get is the best in Ltl & is not going to cost you anything.

You’re definitely going to get biased answers here on TB. The Yellow members probably outnumber R+L members 100 to 1 here. The only reasons I wouldn’t choose Yellow (Reddaway) are as follows: pay is the lowest of the big companies, R+L will be roughly $6 more per hour than top scale at yellow, R+L will give a much more consistent schedule, and Yellow has literally lost money every quarter (except for 1 or 2) for the last 13 years, requiring pay and retirement reductions by employees as well as government bailouts, I don’t know how much gum is left in the pack the patch the holes in the sinking ship, and their equipment is trash, they have some 20 year+ old tractors on the road still. The only good reason to choose Yellow is health benefits.

You’re definitely going to get biased answers here on TB. The Yellow members probably outnumber R+L members 100 to 1 here. The only reasons I wouldn’t choose Yellow (Reddaway) are as follows: pay is the lowest of the big companies, R+L will be roughly $6 more per hour than top scale at yellow, R+L will give a much more consistent schedule, and Yellow has literally lost money every quarter (except for 1 or 2) for the last 13 years, requiring pay and retirement reductions by employees as well as government bailouts, I don’t know how much gum is left in the pack the patch the holes in the sinking ship, and their equipment is trash, they have some 20 year+ old tractors on the road still. The only good reason to choose Yellow is health benefits.
Ya that’s true to I can still call r&l and tell them I’ve changed my mind. I heard r&l pays by the run tho? Do they have any of the extra pays ?

He said he wanted to get his experience in. How much unpaid detention etc unpaid time at R&L? Can't take a newer tractor that's not yours to the bank on payday. Honest not biased. I'm retired but I remember starting my career & wished I could get answers to my questions as easy as nowadays. If Yellow goes down this young man could always go to R&L. He would then have alot of experience.

Ya that’s true to I can still call r&l and tell them I’ve changed my mind. I heard r&l pays by the run tho? Do they have any of the extra pays ?
I’m sure you can. R+L pays by the run for Linehaul, except in CA and Washington (possibly Oregon too) it pays by the hour. City work is all hourly no matter where. And what extra pay? You mean time and a half after 8/40? They don’t, except for in Washington. On the flat rate line run states, you don’t get paid for wait time, but sometimes you can clock in and run a forklift.

Last edited:
He said he wanted to get his experience in. How much unpaid detention etc unpaid time at R&L? Can't take a newer tractor that's not yours to the bank on payday. Honest not biased. I'm retired but I remember starting my career & wished I could get answers to my questions as easy as nowadays. If Yellow goes down this young man could always go to R&L. He would then have alot of experience.
To be honest, if I was starting over, I’d pick ABF, but that was when I was much younger and didn’t have to depend on waiting by the phone and all kinds of weird hours. It’s just like yellow, but with full pension contributions and a certain future. And see my reply above as far as paid time.

To be honest, if I was starting over, I’d pick ABF, but that was when I was much younger and didn’t have to depend on waiting by the phone and all kinds of weird hours. It’s just like yellow, but with full pension contributions and a certain future.
Also much harder to get on. abf is a survivor company.

I’m sure you can. R+L pays by the run for Linehaul, except in CA and Washington (possibly Oregon too) it pays by the hour. City work is all hourly no matter where. And what extra pay? You mean time and a half after 8/40? They don’t, except for in Washington.
I mean like drop and hook pay and detention pay or layover pay stuff like that. Thanks for replies all. I’m not looking into doing reddaway long term just get experience so can move into something better eventually like odfl maybe

Also much harder to get on. abf is a survivor company.
I mean like drop and hook pay and detention pay or layover pay stuff like that. Thanks for replies all. I’m not looking into doing reddaway long term just get experience so can move into something better eventually like odfl maybe
In states where linehaul isn’t hourly, drop and hook is “included” in the flat rate pay, the only detention pay is if you break down, there is no layover pay, but layovers pretty much never happen and R+L. And if you’re stuck at a terminal waiting, you can often clock in and run a forklift. And R+L is pretty much on par with OD as far as pay and bennies, the only benefit to OD is linehaul pay is a lot better, city is about the same, and if you’re in an hourly linehaul state, you get the same pay as city.

In states where linehaul isn’t hourly, drop and hook is “included” in the flat rate pay, the only detention pay is if you break down, there is no layover pay, but layovers pretty much never happen and R+L. And if you’re stuck at a terminal waiting, you can often clock in and run a forklift. And R+L is pretty much on par with OD as far as pay and bennies, the only benefit to OD is linehaul pay is a lot better, city is about the same, and if you’re in an hourly linehaul state, you get the same pay as city.
Oh ok I see. I’m in Las Vegas. Think there offering top pay? He said 29$ hour paid by the run

Oh ok I see. I’m in Las Vegas. Think there offering top pay? He said 29$ hour paid by the run
Gotcha. That’s probably right for Vegas. Also, did he say where you’re running? Because if it’s an LA or Phoenix turn, you’ll be doing pretty well. If it’s a Salt Lake City meet, not as much, but still decent.

Last edited:
Gotcha. That’s probably right for Vegas. Also, did he say where you’re running? Because if it’s an LA or Phoenix turn, you’ll be doing pretty well. If it’s a Salt Lake City meet, not so much.
No he didn’t he said if I change my mind call him back. Why not so well on salt lake?

No he didn’t he said if I change my mind call him back. Why not so well on salt lake?
I just edited my reply, I mean not as much money, because its probably a halfway point meet, and would get you about 400 miles. LA would get you 500, and Phoenix 600. They calculate the flat rate by dividing the miles by the hours and average speed and such, it’s a weird formula. But more miles=more money. Also, if you have a shorter run, there’s other opportunities when you get back for more work.

Last edited:
I just edited my replay, I mean not as much money, because its probably a halfway point meet, and would get you about 400 miles. LA would get you 500, and Phoenix 600. They calculate the flat rate by dividing the miles by the hours and average speed and such, it’s a weird formula. But more miles=more money.
Ya that’s def a weird system lol I got the call today from Ohio. So would have to prob do a interview at this terminal and then maybe a drive test. But only thing is I don’t have any experience so dk if that’s gonna knock me out of the running?

Ya that’s def a weird system lol I got the call today from Ohio. So would have to prob do a interview at this terminal and then maybe a drive test. But only thing is I don’t have any experience so dk if that’s gonna knock me out of the running?
I’ve seen them hire guys without experience lately. It’s rare, but they do.

I’ve seen them hire guys without experience lately. It’s rare, but they do.
Ya just would be scared to get an interview then just to have them be like sorry we have decided to go another route cuz someone with experience came along lol