R&L | R&L Parcel Service

braceface

TB Regular
Credits
I have heard that R&L Carriers is going to start their own parcel service to compete with Fed-Ex and UPS. I believe if senior puts his mind to it, he can do it, and succeed. R.L. Roberts is an awesome indivdual in my humble opinion.

i cannot see how a frt. co. can get into the parcel division and make a profit unless they're trying something new to look attractive to a buyer. Parcel is a totally different animal, nothing like frt. at all. Your boss is gonna have a helluva time convincing customers to use R&L for their package p&d.

Why do you think R&L will have a hard time convincing the customers to use the parcel service as well the the p&d service, ups did.

But UPS did it the other way around. They had a package operation and bought a LTL operation that was already built. Maybe the direction of DHL getting into the LTL scene is more viable with a acquision of R&L. With the extensive R&L liftgate service, they are a "shoe-in" for a package servide to go after them. Boy then imagine the residential deliveries????

But UPS did it the other way around. They had a package operation and bought a LTL operation that was already built. Maybe the direction of DHL getting into the LTL scene is more viable with a acquision of R&L. With the extensive R&L liftgate service, they are a "shoe-in" for a package servide to go after them. Boy then imagine the residential deliveries????

exactly, i agree with your take. besides with the Big 3 well established in the parcel division, why would you even try to compete with them ? you guys got your work cut out for you in frt. as it is. leave them packages alone.

For a pacakge delivery system to be successful you need a completely different operational infarstucture.

UPS built their's from the ground up starting 100 years ago.

FedEx ground start their's off an existing overnight envelope service and complimented it (added to it) by purchasing another smaller package system (RPS).
DHL was started from the ground up on forgien soil and moved to US and complimented itself with smaller purchase of the same operations (ie Airborne Express).

For R&L to start-up a stricktly package opertion and offer srevice that competes with the Big 3, then a huge investment will be needed.
To offer a package delivery system within a freight system is *******. One service, freight or package will suffer greatly.

What happens when you put to much on your plate?

You spill it all over the edge and it becomes waste.

The free liftgate service is our bread & butter. Why would they want to try and start parcel? Look how long it took DHL to get into the US market. They are a powerhouse in europe, but had to pay their dues here. It would take years to get any kind of return on all the money they would have to shell out. Why settle for being good at what you do. Strive to be the best! Put the money into making the LTL better. More terminals, better service times, ect... Why not spend some of that money on lowering employee turnover. It seems to be a real problem here in the northeast. They need to fine tune what they have before taking on new ventures.

Sounds like rumor and speculation are running rampant again in the R&L world.

Hey, I thought we aready did small parcel service with some of the deliveries we do on a daily basis...a couple boxes here...couple boxes there...just not as much as the other guys.

I think that DHL and R+L would combine services before R+L would just try to start from the ground up. Hmmm....DHRL...Didnt I mention this in a previous thread a few months back when someone started another rumor about R+L.

Thats a good one...............

They need to focus on moving freight before anything else... Besides some days the dock all ready looks like we're hauling packages/junk yard freight..... If you want to get a good rumor going how about L/H gets major overhaul on pay... .52 cpm sounds ok and wait pay!!!!! Also extra days off..:1036316054: