R&L | RAISE!!! Make it count R&L!!!

Richard Herbert

TB Lurker
Credits
Heard through the grapevine they are considering giving us a raise in April...We have gone 3 years without one, and we have had our insurance raised 3 times, since our last raise...In all fairness to R&L our insurance is still reasonably priced, compared to others I have talked to, especially in other industries..

Morale is still low, but not as bad as I have seen it...

The one thing that Zimmerman and YRC crew could do, to turn this ship around and increase employee morale and productivity, is to make this raise count, and give the hard working drivers at least a DOLLAR an hour raise...We deserve it, we have been busting it for this company, for a long time...

BTW, also heard through the grapevine, that R&L made more money than any year EVER before in its history last year.

The grapevine may be full of :::shit:::, who knows, just adding my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of the grapes I have spoken to brought up some of the same issues that you mention. It takes a while to fully recover from several consecutive years of little to no profitability. The company is fully aware about the wage situation, but has to find a way to be able to sustain whatever package they tender to the employees. The big picture is that Senior has navigated his company through the worst economic situation in the United States since 1929! Bravo to Mr. Roberts. We all would like to make more money, but I think if given a choice, most everyone would opt to have the same employer in ten years than to have an extra $20 in their paychecks for the next year or so.
IMHO, I think that production/incentive increases would be more likely than a fixed dollar amount. All of the drivers that boast about their daily performance on here would see a better payday than the guys napping under large shade trees. For whatever it's worth, you have to realize that our company is successful due entirely to the tough decisions that Mr. Roberts makes on a daily basis. Based on his track record, and in consideration of how he has managed to grow our business, I think it might be o.k. to accept that he has done a damn fine job so far. Let's continue to work hard and then wait for the reward of the fruits of our labors.

No offense intended oneeightyfive, but you sound just like maybe Zimmerman himself, of possibly Copsey, or Roby. Maybe you intend to be at R&L in ten years, but not everyone on here plans to. I will take the $20.00 in my paycheck. I have other plans for ten years out, and they probably don't include R&L.

Thats a pretty big statement saying that most everyone would opt to have the same employer in ten years than to have an extra $20.00 in their paychecks..I would say some would disagree with you. I would say that some are not as commited to being with R&L in the future, as they once were.

BTW, IMHO, Mr. Roberts is an awesome man, what he has accomplished is amazing to me, I respect him 100%.

Saying Mr Roberts did anything is also a bit of a stretch because last I heard he is not in on the operations anymore.
I think that production/incentive increases would be more likely than a fixed dollar amount.
Are we talking more pride points because my mortgage holder wont take those to pay my mortgage.

Indeed, if Mr Roberts is in fact still making day to day decisions, he has done a hell of a job.
I think that the success of this company has alot to do with the continued hard work and dedication of the employees just as much and in someways
more than management/owner decisions.

im not going to rip into the company here, and no offense to anyone, but we never slowed down during the bad times.
we gave all we should have given to the company. enough of the double talk anyone tries to give us about this. give us our well deserved raise.
anything LESS than a raise is simply un-acceptable at this point.

i think we did good at R&L this past year. no raise but no pay cut like the others got. hope we stay going for 10 more years. starting over sucks.

No offense intended oneeightyfive, but you sound just like maybe Zimmerman himself, of possibly Copsey, or Roby
(wrong on all three counts)
I would say that some are not as commited to being with R&L in the future, as they once were.
(you're probably right)
Saying Mr Roberts did anything is also a bit of a stretch because last I heard he is not in on the operations anymore.
(You're obviously talking to different "grapes" than I am.)
Are we talking more pride points because my mortgage holder wont take those to pay my mortgage.
(You mean to say Bank of America doesn't want a beanie with the R+L logo?)

Apparently this is a fairly emotional issue for everyone, and depending on the employee's age, length of service, regional employment opportunities and their commitment to the employer that feeds them, individual opinions will definitely vary. We all know what they say about opinions......I hope for the best, but always brace myself for the worst.
My post was soley intended to give Senior the credit he deserves.

We have good and we have bad. But we never slowed down at are Barn. We in fact have grown over the past three years. And as a Company we have grown. Look how much we have grown in CA. Just in are area. We are doing a whole lot of truck loads. And more coming on line. Every route in are Barn comes back with a full load everyday. And the drivers that are floaters in the City come back full most day's. We depart loaded to the door almost everyday. We run 12-18 bills each. So if the rest of you are doing anything like us. Then they are making money.

Have we had more money in our coffers well yes we do, we no longer thro money at Matt kenseth ( money saved), we now charge for liftgate service, appointments, Hazmat, residential, seperating freight, detention time, ( money made money made money made) not to mention the fuel surcharges are still up there. Now I have called Zimmerman and his bunch YRC , let me now correct that statement , Zimmerman and his bunch is now in my eyes R&L carriers fellow employees, now lets see how you take care of your family the same people who makes this company keep growing and surpassing the other companies. And why my fellow R&L brothers ask did I change my mind about Zimmerman well we are still here after the Storm, we have not been sold to China or anyone else so I see that he wants to stay and be apart of our Family so welcome Big Brother, our familes at home need your help in fighting our own battles give use a raise we can be proud of , remember alota things trickle down hill but so does Pride and Honor .

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you ever wonder why it is all about the paper work now? Why is everyone pushed so hard to get off the yard on time or risk getting wrote up? We have been moving freight for over 40 years,and have done a pretty good job of it. Safety and morale have taken a back seat to how it LOOKS on paper. Have you ever asked yourself why all the concern with how it LOOKS on paper? The answer is performance bonus. The bigger question is who is getting them? TM's have always gotten them if their terminal is productive. I think that Zimmerman is trying to squeeze every dollar that he can out of the company while he can. I do not think that he will be here 10 years from now,I hope I am. He is trying to get what he can-while he can. I would love to see the contract that he signed when came over here,I bet that it would explain alot of what's been going on.

Did I get a Cola? No! Did you get a Cola? No! Are you still working as hard for R+L? Yes! Is R+L Still in Biz? Yes!. Have we Grown in the last 4yrs? Yes! Why have we grown? Maybe because we paid for it as R+L Drivers,Dock workers, CS, Shop, and Sales. We made the monwy and they kept the COLA to grow. Hey R+L maybe it's time to water the seeds that made you grow. Without the Sales we get no new freight, without the CS we shrink because they put out so many fires from lost damaged freight, the Dock workers who get it loaded, To the Shop who keep the fleet running. R+L Get of your hands and dip into the bank and give us a little dip. Hard to look at the kids,grandkids and family and tell them the price of everything is up but are pay. So it's hot dogs three times a week then two times a week.

They never slow down only things the did was our pay if they didn't make any money why would they buy terminal ,use trucks ,rebuilds engine for the use junks, buy other truck company and not just one I heard from team driver that a roby said they made more money then they ever made in company history and that was 2 or 3 years ago The driver r doing more they r sale rep to ask or beg from one more shipment I don't see sale rep drive a truck

At least YOU got a raise (small as it was). We were told that they were going to faze us out. That we would be getting jobs with ABCO, no idea on pay, and now we find out we have to go through the rehire process. To GM has been demoted to Operations Manager, the Operations Manager was demoted to a dispatcher (he quit, and so did hes driver manager wife).
We don't know if we are even going to have jobs!
No, I am not an R&L driver, but one of the "red headed stepchildren" (or as one poster called us "the outsiders") from Spirit Express (which was bought by R&L Jan 09).