FedEx Freight | "Random"question

h20 1320

TB Lurker
Credits
How are randoms handled in your SC's? We are required to take our vehicle, and are punched in to the applicable kronos catagory. Its roughly a 15 mile round trip, to an urgent care, where it used to be done at an Occupational Clinic. We now share the waiting room with sick people, which isn't great. Having just been sent for my third in 3 months ( not because of any accidents or incidents, 27 year safe driver, in 27 years of employment), I would sure like to see mileage compensation as well as hourly, if I'm required to use my vehicle on company business. More for the point of it than the money itself. We used to be able to take our tractors, but when asked they refused. What if an employee rides transit to work?

We do the same clock in and take personal vehicle to Concentra.

Kind of wondered the same myself. I have bike rail trails about 90% of the way to work. I want to start bike commuting but not sure how something like a random would be handled. We have a concentra 6-7 miles away from center. It really wouldnt be a big deal to ride up.

I once asked if I could bobtail there and they told me no. 30 miles is about a gallon of fuel and I think it should be reimbursed. If they don't want to do that, get a drug test bus on premises and do it that way.

The reason for them not wanting to let you use company equipment is the liability factor in my opinion. If you were to have an accident, to or from the clinic and they test came out positive, and you were in a company vehicle, a good lawyer would have a slam dunk case for a big award. If you’re in your vehicle, I’m not sure the liability exposure is as great for the company. At least they pay you for your time.

Brings up a bigger question. What happens if you are clocked in to Random, head to the clinic, swerve to miss a child walking on the road and hit someone biking on the sidewalk? I'd be hard pressed to turn it in to my personal insurance, as I was "on the clock, carrying out company business that they insisited be performed in your private vehicle". Once the employer was out of compensation for the victim, maybe to my insurance at that point. Did they ever ask you to sign a paper assuring that you carried insurance on your private vehicle when performing assignments while "on duty"?

Someone explain to me what is different taking your personal vehicle to conduct co. biz while on-the-clock compared to asking the boss if it's ok to hop into your personal vehicle, while on the clock, and running to the gas station a block away to pick up a bottle of visine before leaving on your route.

Oh, refresh my memory as well. This would be considered "on duty and driving time", correct?

Proper way to handle this situation would be for the leadership to take you to the clinic in their vehicle or call you a taxi, IMHO.

Brings up a bigger question. What happens if you are clocked in to Random, head to the clinic, swerve to miss a child walking on the road and hit someone biking on the sidewalk? I'd be hard pressed to turn it in to my personal insurance, as I was "on the clock, carrying out company business that they insisited be performed in your private vehicle". Once the employer was out of compensation for the victim, maybe to my insurance at that point. Did they ever ask you to sign a paper assuring that you carried insurance on your private vehicle when performing assignments while "on duty"?

Someone explain to me what is different taking your personal vehicle to conduct co. biz while on-the-clock compared to asking the boss if it's ok to hop into your personal vehicle, while on the clock, and running to the gas station a block away to pick up a bottle of visine before leaving on your route.

Oh, refresh my memory as well. This would be considered "on duty and driving time", correct?

Proper way to handle this situation would be for the leadership to take you to the clinic in their vehicle or call you a taxi, IMHO.
it's not company business it's federal law + you are not using HOS in your personal vehicle, you are on the clock.

The reason for them not wanting to let you use company equipment is the liability factor in my opinion. If you were to have an accident, to or from the clinic and they test came out positive, and you were in a company vehicle, a good lawyer would have a slam dunk case for a big award. If you’re in your vehicle, I’m not sure the liability exposure is as great for the company. At least they pay you for your time.
That’s dumb, the liability would come from an employee on the clock driving their personal vehicle. I bobtail every time.

Had this happen when my wife and I were down to one vehicle and she was dropping me off. Center manager drove me to the clinic and my wife picked me up. No big deal.

I was offering an explanation of the OPs situation. What’s your explanation?
It’s a silly explanation. We cover millions of miles that could result in an accident , and possibly a person failing a drug test afterwards, but you think they are concerned with the ten miles you’re driving to the clinic?

I work for a regional ltl company. Pyle has them come to the terminal. Staying on the clock. Setup is around 0600. This way the l/h and p&d drivers are selected

At my Center we clock in to drug and alcohol and get the test done in break room on spot. They stopped allowing us to drive to concentra because you know… people have time to do what they have to do

At my Center we clock in to drug and alcohol and get the test done in break room on spot. They stopped allowing us to drive to concentra because you know… people have time to do what they have to do
Yeah they sent me at 6am for drug screen and they didn't open till 8am. Had breakfast on the clock, washed my truck. Also I'm pretty sure I have to have drug screen done within 2hrs of getting paperwork. Didn't happen that day.