ABF | RB's Infinite Wisdom

I pulled triples from Cleveland to Gary for 5 years. Dropped one and took two to BNSF rail yard. Bobtailed to CGB and did the same thing backwards the next day.
That's what I thought, just a rookie.... You're talking about the turnpike, right? I don't remember any 6 mile 6% downgrades when I ran it in the 1970's, and, correct me here if I'm wrong, but you had to break them up before you even left the turnpike in drop lots, right? what are the weather restrictions on the turnpike? You never really get a full appreciation of what can happen with these things until you take the training wheels off RB...

Last edited:
Wrong my friend. DOT doesn't give a rats tush how many hours you work in non-driving category. It only regulates how long and when you can drive, nothing else. Of course all your on-duty-non-driving time enters into the calculations for when you can drive but the number of hours you work in ODND mode is not limited by DOT.
ok I see what you're saying...

We are saying the same thing.
If you drive 5 hours to the turnaround point and work the dock for 5 hours, you do not have enough time to drive back without going over 14. After 14 total hours, you must have the required break before driving again.
If you drive 5 hours to the turn point and work the dock for an hour, then drive 5 hours back, you can work the dock for as long as necessary. The 14 hour rule only limits driving time. After 14, or more, total hours in a shift, you must take the required break before driving. Dock hours must be logged as on duty but there is no violation if you don't drive after 14 total hours in the same shift.
I knew this would happen if I kept harassing RB. I finally got to agree with him. I don't like myself very much right now.....goodnight.

But what about the hogboard line haul driver who does 16 hour days 6 days a week?
it physically can't be done. The most you can legally log is 14 hrs total with a mandatory minimum 10 hrs off plus your required 30 min minimum break period in any 24 hr period, and they will not all occur within the same 24 hr time frames per day, because of the way they accumulate

it physically can't be done. The most you can legally log is 14 hrs total with a mandatory minimum 10 hrs off plus your required 30 min minimum break period in any 24 hr period, and they will not all occur within the same 24 hr time frames per day, because of the way they accumulate
HB, a driver can legally log over 14 hours, he just can't drive after the 14th consecutive hour. And all the extra time he spends working the dock for instance counts toward his 60/7 or 70/8 totals. Once again there's no limit to how many hours a driver can work, the limits are only for when he can or can't drive. Hypothetically a driver can drive 11 hours with a half hour break and then work the dock for the next 24 hours if he has the stamina. He hasn't broken any DOT rules yet because he's not driving after the first 11-1/2.

That's what I thought, just a rookie.... You're talking about the turnpike, right? I don't remember any 6 mile 6% downgrades when I ran it in the 1970's, and, correct me here if I'm wrong, but you had to break them up before you even left the turnpike in drop lots, right? what are the weather restrictions on the turnpike? You never really get a full appreciation of what can happen with these things until you take the training wheels off RB...
And again, correct me here please, but I seem to remember that the turnpike had a min of 400 hp engines for triples on the turnpike. We were pulling them out here with 300 hp engines and no engine brakes. No wonder you have such a dismissive attitude toward triples. I'm done here tonight. I'm fighting covid right now and I'm worn out.

HB, a driver can legally log over 14 hours, he just can't drive after the 14th consecutive hour. And all the extra time he spends working the dock for instance counts toward his 60/7 or 70/8 totals. Once again there's no limit to how many hours a driver can work, the limits are only for when he can or can't drive. Hypothetically a driver can drive 11 hours with a half hour break and then work the dock for the next 24 hours if he has the stamina. He hasn't broken any DOT rules yet because he's not driving after the first 11-1/2.
fair point. I am looking at it from a road driver perspective, and that was ABF 381's question

I knew a guy at Yellow who wore expensive Italian loafers to work. I don't know if he actually did any work at all. Lol
The steward at Plymouth Rock in the 90s, and I can't remember his name, wore a white shirt tie and tailored pants to work everyday. And ran a p and d route. Never saw that guy looking anything but like his butler just got him ready for the day! Only in Jersey City!

You are correct. The hours of service rules NEVER come in to effect until you get behind the wheel of a CMV & start driving. You can drive 18 straight hours in the yard horse on the terminal property & be legal. As long as you never drive on a public road the hours of service rules never enter the picture. You need to re-cap your hours before driving to be sure you can legally drive. I know of a driver convicted of a DUI, lost his license for 6 months & still kept his job. He drove on private land doing loging operations & never took his equipment on a public highway. His fellow workers took him to & from work. von.

The steward at Plymouth Rock in the 90s, and I can't remember his name, wore a white shirt tie and tailored pants to work everyday. And ran a p and d route. Never saw that guy looking anything but like his butler just got him ready for the day! Only in Jersey City!
They called him Mr. Clean. Good guy.