Real Interview to work for Gordon Food Service

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
So last Friday I had a phone interview with Gordon Food Service. Anyhow this whole week past pretty routinely and all of a sudden I get a telephone call today on the land line phone that Gordon Food Service want's a real interview face to face.

I'm interested, right now working at the beer distributor all things considered hasn't been to bad today went pretty good for a Thursday, but I'm always looking.

What ever happens I'll stay put for a little while. Won't be horribly long till I have a year at the beer distributor, but this is business and Gordon Food Service formerly GFS is career wise probably a step up on the totem poll.

That being said this job hopping is not good. Every place I ever worked I have stayed at least a year at. In fact one job I had a year at everything else was multiple years.

I think the way they probably see it, is okay he doesn't have a full year at the beer company yet, but he has been around long enough now to where he has kind of made it. If he was going to drop out he would have done it 9 months ago.

There are things I'm sure at Gordon's I probably won't care for and I'm not talking company BS, but more like where I work now I can't stand the mixed wine especially at these grocery stores what an absolute pain in the behind.

I'm kind of tired of handling beer kegs and having to retrieve empty beer kegs that kind of sucks.

CODs I can't tell you what a pain that is. I'm sure Gordon's has them, but probably not like we do I have had 20 stop days that are all COD's.

I mean I can handle my job at the beer company they know I can so you know that's pretty much about that.

I think GFS is fine, compared to others there great. I've always said this about the beer distributor I work for, they have certainly a lot of room for improvement and can be run very poorly at times, but when things are okay and everyone my self included is semi awake stuff can be tolerable and okay, that being said you know and we all make mistakes, but some stuff though I have and this is a character flaw of mine, but some problems especially reoccurring ones that are stuff that should be addressed and are not, I have a very low tolerance for things like that.

An isolated incident now and then is one thing, but some of the things are common sense stuff that is set up to fail and I don't like that, it certainly isn't how I would run my company.

When I owned my carpet cleaning business, I didn't have anything brand new I had a used 2001 Hydramaster Boxxer 421 truck mount, with almost 5,000 hours on it, so it's economic life span was coming to an end, but because of the way I did things, maintenance wise I had very few break downs in the span of my business I had 2 break downs a bad radiator in my van and I had a voltage regulator go on my truck mount that was it everything worked.

I think what the problem is, is you have these mega companies that are in an industry and they just keep buying up the little businesses that are also in that industry. The garbage truck industry is a great example of that. Food service is another one Sysco, US, GFS just buying up everyone they can. Broad Cast Radio is another one Clear Channel and CBS Radio just buying out all the little home town broad cast radio and low band TV stations.
The thing is these companies get so big that nobody can keep an eye on all that and nobody want's to make or can make a decsion and at the same time you have supervisors for supervisors and it all is too much at the end of the day.