XPO | relax.

paul wall

TB Lurker
Credits
i wouldnt worry too much. just about every driver i talked to in the city today from our competitors said they were slower than normal for this time of year. 2 fedex drivers told me they couldnt keep new drivers anymore because they werent getting their 40 hrs. so its not just conway going through this. keep your ear to the streets fellas you'll find out alot more from competitors than co-workers. im still hanging on for the ride
:TR10driving03:

All the investment analyst are reporting what we have all lived through in the last three months... a downturn in freight movement. Not just our company, but the entire industry. But why did our sales department not react to this very basic principle of marketing (supply and demand) and offer discounts to the customer to put their freight on our trailers instead of the competitors?

That's what i'm talking about.It seems that some of the other freight companies have fiqured it out .Not ours,thank you Fat Beard and Bruce.m

The economy is down 15% as conway is down 8%. Everyone is feeling the impact. The problem is when people are laid off and they are use to either driving or being a supervisor or whatever your niche is in the trucking indusrty it becomes harder to find another job when every LTL or Longhaul company is hurrting. relying on our pension is like waiting for social security.

paul wall said:
i wouldnt worry too much. just about every driver i talked to in the city today from our competitors said they were slower than normal for this time of year. 2 fedex drivers told me they couldnt keep new drivers anymore because they werent getting their 40 hrs. so its not just conway going through this. keep your ear to the streets fellas you'll find out alot more from competitors than co-workers. im still hanging on for the ride
:TR10driving03:

I left Conway last week and went to Roadway as a Road Driver. I hate to say it but they are busy, they are hiring and the extra board is running at rest all thru the week (getting called back in after your 10 hours off) I don't know if it was just a busy week but all the different terminals I have been too, everyone has been busy. I'm not trying to make Conway sound bad, I liked working at Conway but I was going broke and had to move on. Best of luck guys.

Yellow-Roadway-USF's-NewPenn are....

.... flooded with freight. In Seattle alone, Yellow is looking to hire 15-20 full-time combo driver/dock workers. This is probably going to be the easiest path to getting on the seniority board since CF went under.

Merdock said:
All the investment analyst are reporting what we have all lived through in the last three months... a downturn in freight movement. Not just our company, but the entire industry. But why did our sales department not react to this very basic principle of marketing (supply and demand) and offer discounts to the customer to put their freight on our trailers instead of the competitors?

If you bought a truckload of watermelons for $40, took them to the street corner and sold them and all you could make was $30....would you go buy a bigger truck??

Ray D. Oh said:
If you bought a truckload of watermelons for $40, took them to the street corner and sold them and all you could make was $30....would you go buy a bigger truck??
They said there would be no math questions.LOL

Ray D. Oh said:
nope, but if i bought that truckload of watermelons for $40, but could only sell half of them @ $5.00 each, i sure wouldn't mark them up to $6.00 like these bozos did in april with their brilliant rate increase.

I would find a better source for watermelons....unless you're talking about $30 worth of profit. Perhaps I could use the watermelons as a loss leader and supplement sales with other types of produce. Wait a minute...I'm a driver, not a salesman.

korndog said:
I would find a better source for watermelons....unless you're talking about $30 worth of profit. Perhaps I could use the watermelons as a loss leader and supplement sales with other types of produce. Wait a minute...I'm a driver, not a salesman.
DRIVER SALES REP

xco_dsr said:
I left Conway last week and went to Roadway as a Road Driver. I hate to say it but they are busy, they are hiring and the extra board is running at rest all thru the week (getting called back in after your 10 hours off) I don't know if it was just a busy week but all the different terminals I have been too, everyone has been busy. I'm not trying to make Conway sound bad, I liked working at Conway but I was going broke and had to move on. Best of luck guys.

i understand money is good and overtime is good, but thats no way to live your life. 14hrs a day dedicated to work is nutz. thats just me, but im different. anyway, compare the operating ratios of the two companies CNW and YRCW. cnw's is lower. not only that, yellow was offering cross-town shipments for $20. i dont know if they are still doing that program, but from what i understand, yrcw is haulling freight for allmost next to nothing. which in turn reflects in their operating ratio. cheap or expensive, moving freight is good for the driver or dockworker in turn providing man hours. BUT, you can only haul for so cheap for so long untill it catches up to you. if you are expensive, you can lower or freeze your rates. its hard to get to the top from the bottom of the barrell. yes yrcw moves the most freight out of any ltl company. like i said before its not a bad thing for anyone. we all need to eat. imo, i wouldnt be worried so much about yrcw as much as abf.........

gfy said:
What ever you need:thumbsup: and a star card to boot.What a deal.

star card??? would you believe i got one from a FOM??? yep i sure did. he NEVER gives em out. i was so happy i went and bought stock in Kool-Aid :USA:

paul wall said:
i understand money is good and overtime is good, but thats no way to live your life. 14hrs a day dedicated to work is nutz. thats just me, but im different. anyway, compare the operating ratios of the two companies CNW and YRCW. cnw's is lower. not only that, yellow was offering cross-town shipments for $20. i dont know if they are still doing that program, but from what i understand, yrcw is haulling freight for allmost next to nothing. which in turn reflects in their operating ratio. cheap or expensive, moving freight is good for the driver or dockworker in turn providing man hours. BUT, you can only haul for so cheap for so long untill it catches up to you. if you are expensive, you can lower or freeze your rates. its hard to get to the top from the bottom of the barrell. yes yrcw moves the most freight out of any ltl company. like i said before its not a bad thing for anyone. we all need to eat. imo, i wouldnt be worried so much about yrcw as much as abf.........
family comes first.Did I say that.