Yellow | Remembering the ‘R’ in YRC

SuperCourse

It's About The Borders - Idiot
PREMIUM
Credits
201113-Roadway-800-Bendel.md.jpeg

ROADWAY.​

No other logo represented big trucking quite like those 34,500 trailers that could be seen virtually everywhere – most frequently in the East and Midwest. Roadway linehaul units seemed only minutes apart at night along the interstate highways between its huge breakbulk terminal in Harrisburg, Pa., and local service terminals from the New York metro area. One of those was a sprawling Roadway terminal in Kearny, N.J., where I once applied for and almost got a management trainee job as a dock supervisor. It was a close call.

I wanted a Teamster driving job, of course, but could not find one. It was the spring of 1967, and I was engaged to marry my wife, Peggy, that October. Her upstate New York parents would not be happy to see their beautiful daughter marry an unemployed guy from North Jersey. I had already been rejected for a job at one carrier and needed to land the spot at Roadway.

more...

ROADWAY.​

No other logo represented big trucking quite like those 34,500 trailers that could be seen virtually everywhere – most frequently in the East and Midwest. Roadway linehaul units seemed only minutes apart at night along the interstate highways between its huge breakbulk terminal in Harrisburg, Pa., and local service terminals from the New York metro area. One of those was a sprawling Roadway terminal in Kearny, N.J., where I once applied for and almost got a management trainee job as a dock supervisor. It was a close call.

I wanted a Teamster driving job, of course, but could not find one. It was the spring of 1967, and I was engaged to marry my wife, Peggy, that October. Her upstate New York parents would not be happy to see their beautiful daughter marry an unemployed guy from North Jersey. I had already been rejected for a job at one carrier and needed to land the spot at Roadway.

more...

Course, do you marry your beautiful Peggy in 3rd grade, or are you nearing 80??

ROADWAY.​

more...

IMG_9293.md.jpeg
I am BRG, and I approved this message.

I started working casual for Yellow in May of '76 and Roadway in Oct of '76. In January of '77 I had to make a choice. I chose Yellow it was closer to home. Seniority date was 12/7/76. I suppose in the end it didn't matter.

I started working casual for Yellow in May of '76 and Roadway in Oct of '76. In January of '77 I had to make a choice. I chose Yellow it was closer to home. Seniority date was 12/7/76. I suppose in the end it didn't matter.
So were you here for the last hurrah, or long since retired?

So were you here for the last hurrah, or long since retired?
No. I retired Dec 31, 2016. I started in the STL area and transferred to Quincy, Illinois when they opened it in Aug of 83. I live approximately 2 miles from the terminal now. I go by it at least 3-4 times a week and see the equipment sitting there. I have said this in other posts but I remember seeing Yellow Transit trucks when I was real young and liking the orange. I guess it stuck. I can honestly say I shed a few tears the day they announced the closer. The terminal belongs to AAA/Cooper now. Hope they take good care of it. Its 17 doors in the country. They actually replaced the roof a little over a year ago along with about half the doors and dock plates.