XPO | Remembrance of the brand before Con-Way & XPO

Shut down on Labor Day . A real classy move . It was a real eye opener for all of us that worked at CCX at the time . We realized the type of people we worked for when that happened. We realized then that if they were that bitter against labor they would do it to anyone when they saw fit.

Shut down on Labor Day . A real classy move . It was a real eye opener for all of us that worked at CCX at the time . We realized the type of people we worked for when that happened. We realized then that if they were that bitter against labor they would do it to anyone when they saw fit.
Thank you...I agree...I never worked for CF but had a lot of friends that did.
I think of them every Labor Day. RIP CF

They shut us down at CEX Thursday night-Friday morning before Labor Day weekend.Actually we were put on strike that night,and never returned.

For someone like me who wasn't in trucking back then, was that before, during or after the good days

I'll never forget that phone call "we hope you are enjoying the holiday with your family' now we have important news about CF please call this 800 number. Don't show up for your next shift we are out of business. I moved on but getting kicked to the curb like that is something you never forget. Ask any CF hand that lived it and we all can tell you exactly what we were doing when we got the news. :17113: :usa:

labor day is a sad day for American Labor...the planned shut down of CF by the powers that be with the
Con-Way (ConJob) pieces of the puzzle put together...and you xpo guys want to complain?
Just be thankful...RIP CF (CornFlakes)
Thankfully for what......I know FXF is thankful. FXF torn down that big eye sore of a CF barn off of I-83 in york pa and replaced it with a new FXF barn.....If I ever go there I get you some pics of the new place

Last edited:
May the gates never be locked suddenly on any of you, especially those who make fun of it happening to others. You may hate unions but remember this it affects people. Every employee of CF & other companies that closed have families they worked to support. 20,000 CF employees = 100,000 affected people counting spouses & children. Imagine going home to tell Your Spouse Honey I lost my job today, they closed the doors as you try to be strong for them while you just want to go throw up. Many suicides happened over these closures. Now how do I know? 3 times it happened to me & mine. My wife is pretty damn tuff today. I worked with a younger fella at Cf that said we were to big to go under so I named off the companies who each had become the largest LtLs who folded. Some might blame the unions but those of you who work for a publically traded company can also be at risk subject to the market & whims of the shareholders. They dictate to your upper mgmt. how things are to go down. The Bible says Pride comes before the fall. Please don't think it never can happen at your company because it just might & that would be a shame. :usa:

Last edited:
I started at CCX in 94. Didn't know a thing about CF or union issues when I started. No one I've worked with thought it was amusing when CF went out. I couldn't imagine going thru that. I'm fortunate that if XPO shut down tomorrow I would retire.

Shouldn't everyone hired when CCX first started operating be considered Scabs since it used money from CF to start.
I wouldn't take it that far. They just had a family to feed and weren't
involved in the politics behind the scene. Just doing what they needed to do (work)

Sad day today for American labor, just like I meant when I started this thread.
Go ahead, mouth off all you want, it could happen to anyone in any industry.

So, Fly-by-nite, WiggleWaggon, McPPP....hope this never happens to you or any of your
children/grand children) and future generations of working people.
Like I said, sad day for American Labor (and it doesn't matter--non union labor, union labor,
regular everyday people labor. As soon as they can figure out to outsource your job to
the Phillipines, India/Pakistan/Bangladesh, computer automation, you're otta here!

Will your driving position be replaced by automated trucks? Automated touch screen at restaurants?
Will xpo sell out to someone else that will leave you with the gates closed?

So you three guys (I guess--gender neutral ?) that I called out.. Go ahead, laugh!
You won't have to pay the off shore and automation the Labor Day Holiday. (or
any other benefit)

Last edited:
involved in the politics behind the scene. Just doing what they needed to do (work)

So, Fly-by-nite, WiggleWaggon, McPPP....hope this never happens to you or any of your
Like I said, sad day for American Labor (and it doesn't matter--non union labor, union labor,
regular everyday people labor. As soon as they can figure out to outsource your job to
the Phillipines, India/Pakistan/Bangladesh, computer automation, you're otta here!

Will your driving position be replaced by automated trucks? Automated touch screen at restaurants?

So you three guys (I guess--gender neutral ?) that I called out.. Go ahead, laugh!
any other benefit)
All I did was ask a legitimate question, I have worked at a job that went out of business...it happens. If Xpo closed tomorrow or lost my job to automation I'd start over again and wouldn't dwell on the past.

Shouldn't everyone hired when CCX first started operating be considered Scabs since it used money from CF to start.
I have friends who worked at ccx..... most of the work force there were very good people..... management took our applications when CF closed only to be not considered for a job due to being in the union.

I don't blame the drivers for the closing of CF.... there were a few arrogant ones that rubbed it in our face.... I have gotten over it and still to this day I don't wish what happened to me with CF on to anyone else..... Union or non.

durning the teamster strike in the 90's. They were standing outside CCX gates calling them scabs...Long before CF closed

any other benefit)
It just getting old that every Labor day this is brought up. Yet we don't hear a word about PIE, Preston, Carolina, APA, and other union company that closed. Yea it sucks they way it happened but your telling me no one in the union saw this coming. I heard former CF drivers that were told by the BA not to worry about those CCX boy they haul the cheap short mileage freight.
DID you know that Con-Way was union in the NE? They bought Penn-Yan express in 1983. By 1990 it was closed down due to a strike. Now I don't know the terms of the strike but 2yrs later CCX reopened it. So OV-10 you had your union but the union f'ed it up.
We hear it all the time. The union is at fault. The management is at fault. The simple fact it how long do you thinks the door will stay open when you don't turn a profit for 2yrs. Can we say NEMF.. This is why I said no one in the union saw this or they just did care.
I do know about 2 weeks after they close the union was all of sudden standing outside my gate at AF want us to sign cards.
No one is to big to fail.

I have friends who worked at ccx..... most of the work force there were very good people..... management took our applications when CF closed only to be not considered for a job due to being in the union.
Lots of the non-union carriers did the same thing. If you put CF on you app you were put on the bottom of the pile or filed in the round filing cabinet, ie the trash.