XPO | Required 30 minute break

Cc0720

TB Lurker
Credits
Do your terminals require you to take the old federally mandated 30 minute break? Hearing mixed reviews of some saying it’s company policy, and some saying they never have to take one‍?

Do your terminals require you to take the old federally mandated 30 minute break? Hearing mixed reviews of some saying it’s company policy, and some saying they never have to take one‍?
It's required for city work to take 30 minute lunch break. Some terminals are telling Linehaul drivers they must take it. I take it if I want.
Wow, here we go again. Long time ago when workers were forced to work without a break they fought for the right to have time for lunch and rest breaks. Now we have people who don't even want to take the time for them. Unreal. Work like a machine and wonder why we are sometimes treated as less than human. SMH.

Wow, here we go again. Long time ago when workers were forced to work without a break they fought for the right to have time for lunch and rest breaks. Now we have people who don't even want to take the time for them. Unreal. Work like a machine and wonder why we are sometimes treated as less than human. SMH.
It’s crazy ! Guy working 12 hours without a break because there’s to much too do ? Or they want to get done sooner ?

It’s crazy ! Guy working 12 hours without a break because there’s to much too do ? Or they want to get done sooner ?
Why should workers like us feel the need to compensate for bad planning on the part of management in situations where there's "too much to do" and not enough time to do it? That's a managerial planning problem. And how much do we give up just because some of us "want to get done sooner?" One worker's "deal" sometimes creates another worker's problem.

I know when your in the city you have 30mins lunch taken out of you time when you work past 6hrs. When I was in the city I took my 30mins. On LH, for me, I found that taking a 30mins lunch cost me 2.5hrs a week away from home. It also makes me tired having to sit around for 30mins taking a lunch I not eating. I do take it if I feel I need to. They talk alot about fatigue with LH drivers and for me and many I know eating a big lunch or just sitting around for 30mins make them more tired.
I sure if you look around at the other LTLs many LH don't take lunches either.

You are kidding, right? I used to be a route salesman, o n commission. If I took a lunch, I would get to go home that much later. And a 'rest' on lineal really isn't, unless you nap on the way home. None of us work like a machine.

We had 2 drivers file a grievance to run 5 Atl turns (520 mi) and the 6th an option.
The company agreed to this.
Do you know how many times those 2 drivers missed their 6th trip?
Never, that I recall.
They would give up a trailer switch in Greenville S C to ensure they had hours for that 6th trip.
Any run over 6 hrs you were required to take a 1 hr meal period.
This was Charlotte only.

I know when your in the city you have 30mins lunch taken out of you time when you work past 6hrs. When I was in the city I took my 30mins. On LH, for me, I found that taking a 30mins lunch cost me 2.5hrs a week away from home. It also makes me tired having to sit around for 30mins taking a lunch I not eating. I do take it if I feel I need to. They talk alot about fatigue with LH drivers and for me and many I know eating a big lunch or just sitting around for 30mins make them more tired.
I sure if you look around at the other LTLs many LH don't take lunches either.
If you don't understand why not taking a break is a bad thing there's no point in me trying to convince you. Let's just let everybody do whatever they want to do on the job as long as it benefits them in some way, even if it hurts someone else along the way.

PS - No one says you have to eat a "big lunch". You could take the 30 and walk around and do some stretching or some exercises.

PPS - I could tell you stories about how some "rabbits" ruined runs on a job a long time ago. But then again they got what they wanted and screwed the other guys.

You are kidding, right? I used to be a route salesman, o n commission. If I took a lunch, I would get to go home that much later. And a 'rest' on lineal really isn't, unless you nap on the way home. None of us work like a machine.
Oh please, I've run the road for years and a nice break for lunch/meal has always been a good thing and doesn't cost all that much in time in the big picture. What if that frantic running without a break eventually takes a toll on your body and you drop dead sooner than you might have? How much benefit is that?

Always a smart @** in the group…must be a union man…if you want to take a break as a mileage pay employee, Have at it, I would rather be gone 30 minutes less a day than to give them free 30 minutes of my time…simply put it should be your choice

Always a smart @** in the group…must be a union man…if you want to take a break as a mileage pay employee, Have at it, I would rather be gone 30 minutes less a day than to give them free 30 minutes of my time…simply put it should be your choice
A "smart a**" for posting a relevant, factual comment? You have a problem with facts? I didn't call you any names, are you just too juvenile to respond without name calling? Pathetic.

A "smart a**" for posting a relevant, factual comment? You have a problem with facts? I didn't call you any names, are you just too juvenile to respond without name calling? Pathetic.
I originally asked a simple question about if non federally mandated breaks were required…you went on the rant about how “we’ve fought along time for rights to take a break”…I don’t care about your opinion or what things used to be like…I simply wanted to know what different xpo barns are requiring…some require it and some do t…you were sounding like a union man giving a lecture, and that’s not the question that was asked

I originally asked a simple question about if non federally mandated breaks were required…you went on the rant about how “we’ve fought along time for rights to take a break”…I don’t care about your opinion or what things used to be like…I simply wanted to know what different xpo barns are requiring…some require it and some do t…you were sounding like a union man giving a lecture, and that’s not the question that was asked
If you had noticed you'd see that I included two posts in my initial reply, yours and Grumpy 914's. I did that to show context. And if you had good reading comprehension skills you would realize my response made more sense in response to Grumpy914 who stated "I'll take it if I want" and not necessarily yours which made no such statement. Stop being such a snowflake.

PS - That's the second time you brought up "union man" by the way. Sounds like you're offended by unions.

If you had noticed you'd see that I included two posts in my initial reply, yours and Grumpy 914's. I did that to show context. And if you had good reading comprehension skills you would realize my response made more sense in response to Grumpy914 who stated "I'll take it if I want" and not necessarily yours which made no such statement. Stop being such a snowflake.

PS - That's the second time you brought up "union man" by the way. Sounds like you're offended by unions.
Not offended by unions, I just know that they make more excuses not to have to work than to have to…it’s the unions that are majority Democrats, so do you really want to talk about snowflakes?? It’s also the the unions that make more excuses trying not to work than to just do the job at hand…the 30 minute break change was just challenged in court by guess who, the union. Your statements make you sound like a union member…at one point they were relevant, now they have gone to crap. If you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that comes out barking is the one that probably got hit. But it’s water under the bridge now…I don’t care…just wanted to know original question

Last edited:
By the way, you really do have reading comprehension skills. You quote me in your post claiming I said "we've fought a long time for rights to take a break". I never said that so you're quite inaccurate. What I did say in case you can't read well was "Long time ago when workers were forced to work without a break they fought for the right to have time for lunch and rest breaks." So besides resorting to attacking the poster rather than the post you can't even accurately quote what was said. Maybe you should start taking 30 minute breaks and study remedial reading during that time.

Last edited:
By the way, you really do have reading comprehension skills. You quote me in your post claiming I said "we've fought a long time for rights to take a break". I never said that so you're quite inaccurate. What I did say in case you can't read well was "Long time ago when workers were forced to work without a break they fought for the right to have time for lunch and rest breaks." So besides resorting to attacking the poster rather than the post you can't even accurately quote what was said. Maybe you should start taking 30 minutes breaks and study remedial reading during that time.
Bahaha…I didn’t feel like reading your garbage post again so I paraphrased it…move on..I don’t care anymore