ABF | Retirement Doubles

Here is one I had a good friend make for me since I could never find an ABF set.

Good looking job, great detail, almost smell the smoke!
G2rBjuT.jpg

My doubles set didn't come in as nice a box as yours. They might've changed since you retired. First Gear,....but as Bro. ABFer said.....kind of....ahh....errr. Oh , well.....Don't look a gift set of doubles in the mouth........

I've got older First Gear models that are extremely high quality,...like a Roadway Mack , probably what Bro. Seabreeze was thinking

I like the model that was made for you! That's really nice! Guy did a great job.

Friend of mine sold me a set of UPS Freight doubles............Larger scale,..and twice the quality . INDesigns made exclusively for UPS. ABF might want to look into that distributor.......

My doubles set didn't come in as nice a box as yours. They might've changed since you retired. First Gear,....but as Bro. ABFer said.....kind of....ahh....errr. Oh , well.....Don't look a gift set of doubles in the mouth........

I've got older First Gear models that are extremely high quality,...like a Roadway Mack , probably what Bro. Seabreeze was thinking

I like the model that was made for you! That's really nice! Guy did a great job.

Friend of mine sold me a set of UPS Freight doubles............Larger scale,..and twice the quality . INDesigns made exclusively for UPS. ABF might want to look into that distributor.......

After looking at Fruit's pups, makes my Winross PIE wagons look like crap!

I think Canary should have insisted on a Volvo tractor.
PIE aquired 100 used Volvos from ABF a year before they folded, top speed 55mph, not 56, no one would drive
them, they replaced 11-22.5 with 11-24.5 tires and gained about 3mph.
They turned them to 63 to 65 mph before drivers would drive them, they were still Volvos, not in Freightliner's class.
See how much flack I get from people who think those ying yangs are a real truck.

Those were White/Volvo tractors. They had poor wiring that would pull out of connectors & firewall connections would get hot & melt. Good job insurance for the shop. They always shifted stiff even when they had several miles. I think the company only bought about 150 of them. The rest of that years purchase were Internationals. The Farmalls were actually better tractors than the White/Volvo's

Those were White/Volvo tractors. They had poor wiring that would pull out of connectors & firewall connections would get hot & melt. Good job insurance for the shop. They always shifted stiff even when they had several miles. I think the company only bought about 150 of them. The rest of that years purchase were Internationals. The Farmalls were actually better tractors than the White/Volvo's

We had two at our terminal for a few years.........I had one for six months........Never could figure out how to open the hood......Probably was the loose nut behind the wheel......

Never could figure out how to open the hood......Probably was the loose nut behind the wheel......
LOL, there's a handle under the dash by the driver's right knee to pop the hood (I'm sure someone helped me on that). They fell apart inside, cracked dash, etc but they rode nice and had incredible turning radii. The right side mirror sat in a spot that could block a vehicle coming from the right from the driver's view and keep it out of view until it got dangerously close.

LOL, there's a handle under the dash by the driver's right knee to pop the hood (I'm sure someone helped me on that). They fell apart inside, cracked dash, etc but they rode nice and had incredible turning radii. The right side mirror sat in a spot that could block a vehicle coming from the right from the driver's view and keep it out of view until it got dangerously close.

I don't know if these were the same trucks you are referring, they were not old, about 60,000 miles on them.
Don't remember much about them except 55mph, you ran same speed as C F til they were turned to 65mph.
To me they were like a foreign car, if it's in my drive, I have company!

I don't know if these were the same trucks you are referring, they were not old, about 60,000 miles on them.
Don't remember much about them except 55mph, you ran same speed as C F til they were turned to 65mph.
To me they were like a foreign car, if it's in my drive, I have company!

Those tractors were in the half million mile range when ABF sold them.

We had two at our terminal for a few years.........I had one for six months........Never could figure out how to open the hood......Probably was the loose nut behind the wheel......

Sounds like our safety dept. and shop.
Safety said the reason we only had 1 seat, so driver knew which side to operate vehicle from.
If I wrote up a truck, shop said problem was the mechanism between seat and steering wheel.

These were 88 model, none had that many miles.
9 spd and 300 Cummins,
The White /Volvos road tractors we had were 10 speeds with Cummins power. They were 88 models. ABF ran 10 speeds for many years & went to 13709 9 speed transmissions several years later before going to 14210 B 10 speeds later.
The engine manufacturers for a few years said their engines would do better with 9 speeds than 10 speeds. Then in a few years they changed & said 10 speeds were better for fuel mileage. Strange how the more things change the more they stay the same.