ABF | Retreads on Steers

ABF has never ran retreads on steer axles, period. I also thought there was a federal law about this & there probably was at one time but if so that law has been changed. As was mentioned retread quality has improved over the years. I know an attorney that is currently in litigation on a dump truck accident. His client is the construction company/truck owner I think is was on a secondary road & the truck wasn't used on a major highway & was driven at slow speeds. Neither of the steer tires had any bearing on the accident. The ambulance chasing attorney tried to use what he thought was a federal law on retread steer tires. He should have done his research because there is no federal law on retread tires except for buses. His client was at fault in the accident. not the truck driver. The dump truck owner's insurance company will probably pay some to the at fault car driver just to keep it from going to a jury. You take a chance when an accident involving a truck goes before a jury.

ABF has never ran retreads on steer axles, period. I also thought there was a federal law about this & there probably was at one time but if so that law has been changed. As was mentioned retread quality has improved over the years. I know an attorney that is currently in litigation on a dump truck accident. His client is the construction company/truck owner I think is was on a secondary road & the truck wasn't used on a major highway & was driven at slow speeds. Neither of the steer tires had any bearing on the accident. The ambulance chasing attorney tried to use what he thought was a federal law on retread steer tires. He should have done his research because there is no federal law on retread tires except for buses. His client was at fault in the accident. not the truck driver. The dump truck owner's insurance company will probably pay some to the at fault car driver just to keep it from going to a jury. You take a chance when an accident involving a truck goes before a jury.
I think most retreads today are cold caps, (Bandag type) glued on, not cooked.
Ryder did their own in Atlanta.
We also have an ambulance-chasing attorney down that advertises (if you have been in an accident with a big truck)

So there are enough of us that should remember this . As a young man my Dad & I would go get new tires and his choices were BLEMS or RECAPS . He explained it all to me but it was all we could afford in comparison to what brand new tires cost . I just put tires on my 265K GMC and did look at some meaty and really cool recaps for all 4 , the technology is far better and they seemed like a cool way to go , not much cheaper but cheaper . Our mechanic said he really did not want to put them on and I did not argue with him but they seem to have made a come back . Someone told me Costco sells blems and we bought our share of tires from them but I think that it's not true in my eyes . I just don't like the guy there and busted him cold disrespecting Mrs. S. so I went to the hill on it and swore off the tire department . I know one thing , I always taught my wife & daughter to stay away from trucks and tire cases in the road , they will kill you .

So there are enough of us that should remember this . As a young man my Dad & I would go get new tires and his choices were BLEMS or RECAPS . He explained it all to me but it was all we could afford in comparison to what brand new tires cost . I just put tires on my 265K GMC and did look at some meaty and really cool recaps for all 4 , the technology is far better and they seemed like a cool way to go , not much cheaper but cheaper . Our mechanic said he really did not want to put them on and I did not argue with him but they seem to have made a come back . Someone told me Costco sells blems and we bought our share of tires from them but I think that it's not true in my eyes . I just don't like the guy there and busted him cold disrespecting Mrs. S. so I went to the hill on it and swore off the tire department . I know one thing , I always taught my wife & daughter to stay away from trucks and tire cases in the road , they will kill you .

I ran recaps on my car when I was 16. They lasted about 10k miles. I think back then the rubber compound they used was real soft, or maybe it was the donuts and drifting around corners.

I ran recaps on my car when I was 16. They lasted about 10k miles. I think back then the rubber compound they used was real soft, or maybe it was the donuts and drifting around corners.
I also ran recaps on the rear of my car back in the 60's. A local tire shop did the retreading. An umcle also had a tire shop & did retreading. Back then the tire was secured in a round steel 'Casket' & several at a time were put in a large oven to 'cook' the tread on the tire. As long as the carcass was good the tread would stay on.
We ran 'Cheater Slicks' back then which were often retreads. The Atlas 'Bucron' was a sought after tire for drag racing back then.
Back to truck tire retreads. Breeze is correct that retreads are now & have been for many years 'Cold Caps'. The carcass is not put in an oven like years ago. A tire can be retreaded more than once provided the carcass is sound.
Most larger companies however don't run tires that have been retreaded more than once. I see nothing wrong with construction trucks that are often off road running tires on drive axles that have been retreaded more than once. They usually run at slow speeds. Tire don't last very many miles off highway anyway. Gravel, sand & dirt eat away at rubber.

It's in the NMFA, Article 16, Section 6(c), "There shall be first-line tires on the steering axle of all road and pick-up and delivery power units."
O

IT was in the contract, no recaps on steering