TForce | Road driver new hire question

daddy o

TB Lurker
Credits
I have seen road driver spots come open in Chicago and elsewhere. What can a driver expect hiring in on the road board at ups freight in Chicago or surrounding area centers? Can you expect to work everyday, weekends etc.? Also has the management been known to Bullsh## new hires saying that their is work etc. ?

Very unsteady, especially with winter coming up. We have road drivers with 8 years still not working 5 days a week. Of course, the contractors roll 5 days a week.

I noticed to on the website the job discription for road driver at ups freight says that you may be dispatched to more than one destination that sounded like be gone on the road 2 days at a time. Any insight on that

They are hiring Chicago due to they just fired one road drive and one believe one quit. The one that got fire did something I won't mention, but he would drive once a month. He was working the dock full time. The one that quit was upset that he was hired as a driver and only drove his orientation week then became a dock worker. So if you are looking at a road driver position in Chicago you may want to be prepared to work the dock this winter or wait till spring.

I noticed to on the website the job description for road driver at ups freight says that you may be dispatched to more than one destination that sounded like be gone on the road 2 days at a time. Any insight on that
i think there is still a few terminals that have a few wild bids. which means you'll leave chicago and go somewhere else, if you have time hook another set and run to another terminal and sleep in a motel or terminal bunk room.wake up and terminal hop some more and eventually you'd end up back at your home terminal.

there used to be like 3 out here in harrisburg pa, but with the contractors and rail use going through the roof they were cutting most of those bids. they use the old bunk room for office's and storage .

Until we get our contract settled with the LHD and contract carriers, I wouldn't recommend this company to no one. Unless you are just plain desperate...
Sorry to have to say that but it's reality...

Thanks for the info.

One more thing daddy o. DINT BE FOOLED. It may say ups on the application, but ups frt is run FAR FAR different than UPS parcel. So many drivers say they got in because of the name UPS. Always wanted to work for UPS. Good company, treat employees well, good union. Like I tell my customers everyday, "I DONT WORK FOR UPS PARCEL". All I can say, any notions you have that you will be working for UPS don't apply here.

No pun intended.

I noticed to on the website the job discription for road driver at ups freight says that you may be dispatched to more than one destination that sounded like be gone on the road 2 days at a time. Any insight on that
Also be ready to work the dock.
As the bottom guy on the road you will be expected to cover hub runs for vac and sick days etc..
I worked up to 6 hours on the dock one night.
Not my definition of a road driver!

You may go to a terminal relatively close, a satellite terminal, to pic up a load and then take the two or three of them to their final destination.

Also be ready to work the dock.
As the bottom guy on the road you will be expected to cover hub runs for vac and sick days etc..
I worked up to 6 hours on the dock one night.
Not my definition of a road driver!
I dont know if you expect the "royal treatment" but at alot of LTL outfits road drivers work on the dock, and also next time u bid, look at it closely, next to all the runs. It will say "work as directed". I think in this day in age the only truck outfit that dont work the dock is in a TL outfit. and in alot of situations the road drivers that work on the dock, that dock work is probley the only type of excercise they get in their lazy cry baby whinning lives. It always amazed me when road drivers cry becuz they have to do "some type" of physical labor. Lol

I dont know if you expect the "royal treatment" but at alot of LTL outfits road drivers work on the dock, and also next time u bid, look at it closely, next to all the runs. It will say "work as directed". I think in this day in age the only truck outfit that dont work the dock is in a TL outfit. and in alot of situations the road drivers that work on the dock, that dock work is probley the only type of excercise they get in their lazy cry baby whinning lives. It always amazed me when road drivers cry becuz they have to do "some type" of physical labor. Lol

You call sitting on a fork lift physical labor? :biglaugh:

No i call stacking boxes and putting cardboard on top of skids and load bars thats the "little" labor im talking about. For me the city the road n the dock all are part of the job we sign up for. But that was pretty funny skeeter,

even that depends on where your at, at hrs the only road drivers that are allowed to work the dock are the end of line hub drivers that come at night time to get their next day hub freight.
here there is 2 seniority boards, road driver and cartage. cartage includes dock,jockey,line haul jockey and city drivers .
the road board of course is all the road drivers, and under the current deal is not permitted to work the dock.

but HRS is one of the biggest if not the biggest barn in the system, and things are ran different at each barn.

even that depends on where your at, at hrs the only road drivers that are allowed to work the dock are the end of line hub drivers that come at night time to get their next day hub freight.
here there is 2 seniority boards, road driver and cartage. cartage includes dock,jockey,line haul jockey and city drivers .
the road board of course is all the road drivers, and under the current deal is not permitted to work the dock.

but HRS is one of the biggest if not the biggest barn in the system, and things are ran different at each barn.

Yeah. The hubs dont have road drivers work the dock, some eol's do, and if you dont mind coming in early my barn will use all the help they can get right now