Yellow | Road Driver questions.

Arky

TB Lurker
Credits
I've noticed that yellow has some road driver positions available in my area (Arkansas). The website states 2 years experience or graduate of a training school. I will be the latter.

My question is, what should I expect? Will I be running OTR all of the time? Home weekends?

Should I be expecting lay-offs for the first couple of years until I get some seniority? How long does it take to get enough seniority to be able to hold the job? or maybe bid a job?

Thanks for the help guys.

Arky

It depends, as long as your not talking about Memphis, your probably ok. I know Memphis is not in Arkansas, but it's close enough. If you stick to any of the other ones in the state you'll probably be better off. More than likely you'll be out and right back on more of a regular basis and also have more of a weekend. As far as seniority
goes, it's hard to say without knowing the board. Small boards are harder to figure without knowing the seniority dates of the drivers there.

Thanks for the reply flattop.

I actually was looking at Memphis. I'm about 2 hrs away and would prefer to be out a full week at a time, then home for the weekend or a couple of days (the weekend doesn't really matter, just a couple of days home).

With my being willing to be out for a week, or more, at a time do you think I should check into the Memphis terminal? I don't see any other possibilities at the moment for me in the LTL world, so I'm willing to scarifice if need be. Remember, I'll be a student driver which seriously limits my options.

Do you know enough about the Memphis terminal to know whether they are actually hiring student drivers for road drivers?

Thanks for the input,

Arky

If you run out of Memphis you'll probably run alot of sleeper/team runs. As long as you don't mind a partner you'll be fine. That's how I learned. I was right out of truck driving school and was hired by Old Dominion and put on a team truck with an older guy. It was a great way to learn. You always had someone else with you if anything went wrong. I would'nt want to do that now. But it was a great way to learn and earn. As long as you can get a good steady partner. I'm not sure if Memphis is doing this, but I know that Chicago and Kansas city are. Memphis probably is, I just can't say for sure. I think all or most of Memphis sleepers run to the west coast so you'll get in a full week and then have a couple off.

Thanks Flattop, that's the kind of info I need. I'm just wandering now how much work I'll get after reading through the threads here. The way I understand it, I'll be "on call" for a pretty good while before I'll have any kind of steady work?

I'll probably go ahead call the terminal one day this week and just ask them what they've got and what I could expect.

Thanks for the help, Arky

Jobs

Sovereign said:
I applied for the city driving job out here in New York. I was turn down due to lack of experience.
Please don't give up !
As anyone will tell you in most places it's a driver's market.
I know of several union and NON union companies looking for good drivers .One idea is if you already have a union card call the local .I'm sure that UPS both small pack and the New UPSF (The old Overnight ) is and are looking for drivers

I am on a waiting list for UPS for Air package driviver but I am waiting for a call for them. The thing is trying to get a lcaol gig with a class "A" license with all endorsements with no experience. Plus I do not want to go long distance due to the fact I have a 2 year old & a newborn.