TForce | road drivers are not to placard trailers

The law says trailers do not need to be placarded until they are on a public road, but once placarded the placards can not be removed until the hazmat is removed.

The law says trailers do not need to be placarded until they are on a public road, but once placarded the placards can not be removed until the hazmat is removed.
I heard of one of our terminals getting fined recently for having unplacarded and incorrect placards on trailers sitting at the dock. I agree with Mossbackman, It's the law!

The 1st sentance on page 97 of the California Commercial Drivers handbook says different.

Placarding
Attach the proper placards as you load the vehicle and before you drive it. You may move an improperly placarded vehicle only in an emergency to protect life or property.

JJKeller_logo.jpg

Who is responsible for placarding?

The HMR does not specify when placards must be applied or removed from a motor vehicle. However, 49 CFR 172.506 specifically states that no driver/motor carrier may transport a hazardous material in a motor vehicle unless the placards required are affixed.
Therefore, if a shipper/offeror provides the required placards it becomes the driver’s/motor carrier’s responsibility to affix the placards. If other hazmat is already on the vehicle, then it is the driver’s/motor carrier’s responsibility to affix the proper placards required.

When do the placards have to be offered and/or applied? According to another interpretation:

At any time prior to the vehicle entering onto a road accessible by the public, the shipper/offeror has the opportunity to offer the required placards and the driver/carrier has the opportunity to apply them.The HMR does not require that a trailer being loaded at a facility be placarded as soon as the threshold for placarding is reached.

However, unloading a vehicle is a bit different:

Under OSHA requirements, a trailer that is received containing a quantity of hazmat requiring placards must continue to display the placards as long as there is a placarded quantity in it.

Who is responsible for placarding? - IOTW2160 - J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/pdf/49cfr172.506.pdf

Again

The 1st sentance on page 97 of the California Commercial Drivers handbook says different.

Placarding
Attach the proper placards as you load the vehicle and before you drive it. You may move an improperly placarded vehicle only in an emergency to protect life or property.

That way when the fire department responds to a fire in a trailer and the trailers on each side have hazmat, the firemen know whats going on.

The fire house right next to my yard agrees very strongly!

Again

Placarding

That way when the fire department responds to a fire in a trailer and the trailers on each side have hazmat, the firemen know whats going on.

The fire house right next to my yard agrees very strongly!
Hey Moss, I agree with you, I know I have heard this law before but cant find it in writing. Send a copy of those regs, or something the fire dept has to prove it. There is a firehouse by my terminal I will stop in there if you dont!:smilie_132:

Thnx nik,

the DMV is just a state licensing body they don't set laws, the DOT does that. It does not matter what the DMV says. I can't get that link to open

but the DOT says vehicles are not required to be placarded until they are on a public road going to there destination, once at there destination they have to be kept placarded until the haz/mat is unloaded.

The vehicle being loaded is an extension of the dock, that is what the dot says.

All I am saying is it is the docks supervisors job to make sure the trailer gets placarded.

The driver can not go on a public road until the trailer gets placarded. The driver will get the ticket if the trailer is not placarded.

Trailers are to be placarded by the dock even the rear placard is to be switched by the dock once the driver pulls away from the dock, this goes for city drivers also, if the trailer is not placarded you are to report it to the dock supervisor.

Only at dark terminals are drivers to placard a trailer if the dock did not, and that is after you notify central.

That's fine and good but the DOT doesn't give a hoot about who is supposed to do what. Under the law,the driver is ultimately responsible for placards. At our barn, we're given a Trucking Enforcer sheet with the placards required for our trlrs.We placard our own trlrs as we pretrip.
Should I talk to my steward about this procedure??

I had to go into the shop last night to have stick on placards removed and replaced with other stick on placards. That was an extra 40 minutes from the time in the shop to the time out. Thank you$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Here is a letter from the Department of transportation to the department of energy (please don't ask how I come up with these :27: ) clarifying the rules.

3312520042_f075b71398_o.jpg

Sorry if the image is too big I didn't think it would be able to be read if it were smaller.

Maybe I titled the thread wrong or am being misunderstood, I am not saying road drivers can't placard a trailer, I am saying it is the docks responsibility to do it.

As of now when I hook to a trailer and it is not placarded I placard it, but I think down the road working out of classification will be a problem. W need to look at the big picture.

My point is that the dmv doesn't put opinions in their handbook, their handbook is based on the law.

Now it could be that since the dot hasn't stated when a trailer should be placarded, it could be up to the states.

Thats an interesting letter.

I'm gonna stop by the dreaded Banning weigh station and see what they have to say about it, Sat morning when my freight has no time contraints on it.

I already know what the LA County Fire Dept thinks.

The purpose of placarding trailers is to communicate the risk.

If a trailer is loaded with flamable poison gas cyllinders and it's still up to the dock and there's a fire nearby, don't you think the fire dept would want to know about it.

The dot bear in the banning weight station said he could care less about what goes on in our yard. He said when the trailer gets on the road it had better be right!

The other officer said to call the state fire marshall.