Road to Shuttle

slimeball

TB Lurker
Credits
:chairshot:I have heard that road drivers that were put into shuttle, will lose there seniority when freight picks up enough that they may be needed again as road drivers.These drivers have already had a bad jolt , which was not caused by anything that they had any control over. I can not see where there is any financial loss to the company,if these drivers were able to keep there seniority,if freight picks up enough to put them back on as mileage drivers. I was lucky enough , not to be put as a shuttle driver. But I am willing to let any driver that was put into shuttle ,that had seniority over me ,have it back.
How about you?

I say Hell Yes, NO Question about it they should keep it. The scramble around today just keeps the company at a better operating level to get by todays economic times. If all employees pull together and work together Wilson will pull through this much easier. Common Sence!

I agree that all employees must and have to pull together in this day and time for our company to survive. But, I feel that in order for us to move forward as a company we must not look at seniority but production. I think we should give them their seniority back providing they meet the production goals that we need to put in place. We do not hold road drivers to the same standard as p&d. Or i should say monitor them on how long it takes from point A to point B as we should. If it takes 3 plus hours for one driver to make a run and another driver 2 1/2 hours should we give the driver that takes 3 plus hours a better run with more miles because he has been here longer? I know this all comes down to better runs, more miles, more green, but this is work and we must work for our money.

I agree that all employees must and have to pull together in this day and time for our company to survive. But, I feel that in order for us to move forward as a company we must not look at seniority but production. I think we should give them their seniority back providing they meet the production goals that we need to put in place. We do not hold road drivers to the same standard as p&d. Or i should say monitor them on how long it takes from point A to point B as we should. If it takes 3 plus hours for one driver to make a run and another driver 2 1/2 hours should we give the driver that takes 3 plus hours a better run with more miles because he has been here longer? I know this all comes down to better runs, more miles, more green, but this is work and we must work for our money.
I agree , that one should not be penalized for not having seniority. But should go in the order of work performance,seniority and a multitude of other things. That being said.I also do not think a driver should not be penalized for doing a proper DOT pre trip, being courteous on the road (which takes time) or obeying the posted speed limit.
I do believe that road drivers do much less physical work than many other employees. City drivers have many more things to do in a day that can be wrong. While road drivers main job is to get freight from point A to point B safely. But it is the other things that go with the job that make the difference. Working nights, time away from home, and waiting around.
The standards are the same, just a different job.

I agree , that one should not be penalized for not having seniority. But should go in the order of work performance,seniority and a multitude of other things. That being said.I also do not think a driver should not be penalized for doing a proper DOT pre trip, being courteous on the road (which takes time) or obeying the posted speed limit.
I do believe that road drivers do much less physical work than many other employees. City drivers have many more things to do in a day that can be wrong. While road drivers main job is to get freight from point A to point B safely. But it is the other things that go with the job that make the difference. Working nights, time away from home, and waiting around.
The standards are the same, just a different job.

sounds like another Agree to Disagree situation ,with no apparent winner

Why I am a believer in the "production over seniority" sentiment,I would like to know if you are a road driver?Have you packed your bags on Sunday evening,knowing you wont be back home until Saturday morning?We have ETA,s we must meet,some are very conservative times,others are not.
I think the standards of a road driver are on the same level of P and D or any other position within the company,its just a different job description.Both have their positives and negatives...While this may not be the proper economic time for saying this,but most drivers choose their position(local or linehaul)and realize the pains and perks of each.

BTW,welcome to truckingboards Youngblood.We may not always agree on things but an opinion can never be wrong..:1036316054:Tell your friends about us..

what's the difference between and road driver and a shuttle driver at Wilson? i ask b/c a shuttle driver here at Saia works the dock and then does linehaul(road) to return every morning and do it again. over at Averitt, they refer to all their linehaul as shuttle drivers. i am just curious is all...

what's the difference between and road driver and a shuttle driver at Wilson? i ask b/c a shuttle driver here at Saia works the dock and then does linehaul(road) to return every morning and do it again. over at Averitt, they refer to all their linehaul as shuttle drivers. i am just curious is all...

Our shuttle drivers usually leaves their domicile terminal and works the dock at their destination terminal,and then returns to their domicile every morning.Its 5 days a week and all clock pay,no mileage pay.

Our Linehaul drivers , work by mileage only and some runs return home everyday and others layover

thanks for the answers guys. our road and shuttle are on the same board, and shuttle gets paid milage while on the road. our shuttle runs are at the bottom of the list.

A decision has been made on this subject. If a shuttle driver that was once a road driver is moved back into the road slot, and it is less than 12 months from the time of the original reduction, he will move back at his original seniority. This was the case for the two men in Tampa, they both moved back in the same slot in seniority as they were prior to November.