ODFL | Rookie Linehaul Driver

2BucTruck

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys and gals. I'm in my first year at ODFL with linehaul and just wanted to pop in and say hello. I've been to most of the NE terminals when bagging out. In fact, there's probably only a handful I haven't been to yet. I'm doing wild turns now. Just wanted to say that so far my experience has been fantastic at ODFL. It's long hours, but seeing how much I'm getting paid, I can't really complain.

Running linehaul is just as much a lifestyle as OTR. Most folks who aren't drivers would cringe at working 12 hour days, but then again, how many folks earn at least 80k by working banker hours? I know that I basically am running 5 days a week, and then have my family and downtime for only two days a week. That's the job, and it is a lifestyle. Even though I come home every night, it's still just a matter of waking, working, eating, and sleeping 5 days a week.

I got into trucking with ODFL, so that's been my entire trucking experience. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to pull a tanker, but financially speaking, I couldn't justify leaving ODFL for a tanker job with any truckload outfit. I also enjoy my time with my family.

Any of you guys / gals run out of the NE?

Not me.Just got back from a extra trip up there.:mad:I will stay with bumping dock's during the week.;)o_OWelcome to OD&you want find a better place to work for.Been here almost 11 year's now.We all have our negative's any place we work.But,I can say OD is a great place to work.Some will never understand&that's totally fine with me.Just don't try to get me to taste your kool aid..:D

I'll tell ya, I don't mind that OD kool aid one bit. I KNOW I have it good. And believe it or not, bumping docks actually made for a longer, more tiring day for me than running linehaul. Of course I only did it for a week during my mandatory city driving training, but it was enough for me to know that I prefer linehaul.

Actually, that does bring up a point. If somebody is being hired for linehaul, what's the point of using a whole week for training city when the driver will not be doing P&D? I've already forgotten how to use the handheld unit, since I only used it for a few days out of a week - months ago. There were many other things that could've been done during that week of city driving for training purposes, e.g. an in depth training on the BLU unit, being exposed to more linehaul destinations, learning how to use the IVR, fueling strategies when bagging out. I talked to a new driver being trained in Denver that is going city, yet they have to do a mandatory week in linehaul. That makes no sense to me at all.

The only benefit I could see from cross training linehaul / P&D is if a driver is being hired for a combo position.

I'll tell ya, I don't mind that OD kool aid one bit. I KNOW I have it good. And believe it or not, bumping docks actually made for a longer, more tiring day for me than running linehaul. Of course I only did it for a week during my mandatory city driving training, but it was enough for me to know that I prefer linehaul.

Actually, that does bring up a point. If somebody is being hired for linehaul, what's the point of using a whole week for training city when the driver will not be doing P&D? I've already forgotten how to use the handheld unit, since I only used it for a few days out of a week - months ago. There were many other things that could've been done during that week of city driving for training purposes, e.g. an in depth training on the BLU unit, being exposed to more linehaul destinations, learning how to use the IVR, fueling strategies when bagging out. I talked to a new driver being trained in Denver that is going city, yet they have to do a mandatory week in linehaul. That makes no sense to me at all.
The reason is.Because has you know a new driver run's on wild board&you are used has need'd.You may be ask'd time to time to work local if you get to a term that need's help.It doesn't happen much.But,here we have some line driver's that will work local if they are at home&they are call'd &ask'd if they would run local for the day.They only do switch-out's&maybe a del/p-up or so.Also,when time's it ever slow's up they will let line driver's,dock,etc go before they ever let a city driver go.Remember in 08 when thing's got slow .I went back to the dock.They let dock guy's go,line driver's go,etc.But,was told they will not let a good city driver go.Because they are multi-task driver's.Who can work freight when need'd&also work city,road .What ever is need's.I wonder'd the samething when I did my training.Because I was running the road.Well,I've been local for over 9 year['s now

I think it's a great idea. Lets you see how the other half lives especially if it's your first venture into ltl. The more you know.. the more valuable you are. Sad part is most drivers forget who the real hard workers are once they leave the dock. Enjoy your time on the road, it's a great way to make a living.

I think it's a great idea. Lets you see how the other half lives especially if it's your first venture into ltl. The more you know.. the more valuable you are. Sad part is most drivers forget who the real hard workers are once they leave the dock. Enjoy your time on the road, it's a great way to make a living.
Agree,there Ump..I have a high respect to all our dock guy's.They do a hell of a job.Have been there when I came off the road.They alway's have to deal with the weather,new rule's every week/day on loading&unloading&getting trailer's unload&load'd in a timely matter

Yep, I've already been given the option to run a few drop and hooks on the city side since freight has slowed up a bit. But I still don't think the mandatory cross training is a good use of time and resources. Even if I did some drop and hooks for the city side, I wouldn't be using the handheld. If becoming familiar with the handheld and paperwork processing is the majority of the training on the city side, but if I'm not doing that when I fill in, then what's the point of training for P&D as a linehaul driver?

I'm by no means complaining about my cross training experience just to complain, I honestly think that the whole week given to the P&D side could've been used for other things that would've been more productive.

Now, what I'd like to see, is the ability to work the dock as a linehaul driver if freight is slow. I've already approached my linehaul manager about this, as a way to make some more $ when I have time available on my on-duty clock, but not enough drive time to make another run. My manager said that the training would be too in depth to make that an available option. There's time when I have 3 plus hours on my clock and would like to clock in for some extra $. I'd like to learn how to use the forklift and see operations from the dock side.

Yep, I've already been given the option to run a few drop and hooks on the city side since freight has slowed up a bit. But I still don't think the mandatory cross training is a good use of time and resources. Even if I did some drop and hooks for the city side, I wouldn't be using the handheld. If becoming familiar with the handheld and paperwork processing is the majority of the training on the city side, but if I'm not doing that when I fill in, then what's the point of training for P&D as a linehaul driver?

I'm by no means complaining about my cross training experience just to complain, I honestly think that the whole week given to the P&D side could've been used for other things that would've been more productive.

Now, what I'd like to see, is the ability to work the dock as a linehaul driver if freight is slow. I've already approached my linehaul manager about this, as a way to make some more $ when I have time available on my on-duty clock, but not enough drive time to make another run. My manager said that the training would be too in depth to make that an available option. There's time when I have 3 plus hours on my clock and would like to clock in for some extra $. I'd like to learn how to use the forklift and see operations from the dock side.
well,I can tell you are new at this.It takes alot of training to work the dock just like it took you to become a driver.Alot more training to work the dock.There are thing's just like the computer's,handheld's that you must be train'd&you must remember.Also,just spending 2-3 hour's on dock does no-one any good except for the extra pay in or pocket.I can understand manager's point in training.Other thing is if they let one do it.Then other's will follow.So,then that throw's the combo thing in.Also,liability of driver's getting hurt.So if you want to work freight then you need to sign up full-time combo.

Yes,you would be using handheld to spot&pick trailer's&putting bill's in.In my training&has a trainer I do see the need for the 2 week's local.I do think they should leave the city training to the last 2 week's.Od need's to see how you will react to customer's&public..You are representing the company&this is 1st hand has a trainer for me to see how you represent the company.

I also have a great deal of respect for the dock guys. I have a great deal of respect for all my co-workers, except the ones that seem to always be complaining and fussing. Some of these drivers forget
Yes,you would be using handheld to spot&pick trailer's&putting bill's in.In my training&has a trainer I do see the need for the 2 week's local.I do think they should leave the city training to the last 2 week's.Od need's to see how you will react to customer's&public..You are representing the company&this is 1st hand has a trainer for me to see how you represent the company.
When offered to do some city work I was told that I wouldn't be using the handheld. Not that I asked this specifically, it was told to me.

well,I can tell you are new at this.It takes alot of training to work the dock just like it took you to become a driver.Alot more training to work the dock.There are thing's just like the computer's,handheld's that you must be train'd&you must remember.Also,just spending 2-3 hour's on dock does no-one any good except for the extra pay in or pocket.I can understand manager's point in training.Other thing is if they let one do it.Then other's will follow.So,then that throw's the combo thing in.Also,liability of driver's getting hurt.So if you want to work freight then you need to sign up full-time combo.
Yes I am new, and never assumed that training for being a dock worker was a frivolous task, nor the work itself. If the work was available to work the dock, then why not? I do understand your argument about not getting hurt, but hey, I could get hurt hooking a set too.

I also have a great deal of respect for the dock guys. I have a great deal of respect for all my co-workers, except the ones that seem to always be complaining and fussing. Some of these drivers forget

When offered to do some city work I was told that I wouldn't be using the handheld. Not that I asked this specifically, it was told to me.
Every term is different.OD is one of the few that do not make the driver's work freight.Now,some of the smaller term. the city driver do come in&break&load freight on there trailer's before going out on the street's.

Yes I am new, and never assumed that training for being a dock worker was a frivolous task, nor the work itself. If the work was available to work the dock, then why not? I do understand your argument about not getting hurt, but hey, I could get hurt hooking a set too.
Good Luck!!I think I can answer for other line driver's.I believe at the end of my run I would be ready to go home instead of playing on the dock.Just saying..Welcome to the board.Great guy's here.But,we alway's love shaking it up a little.;)o_O

Got to have you work the city so you know how a real man works. Kind of like when you're a kid and go with dad to work for a day.

Hey guys and gals. I'm in my first year at ODFL with linehaul and just wanted to pop in and say hello. I've been to most of the NE terminals when bagging out. In fact, there's probably only a handful I haven't been to yet. I'm doing wild turns now. Just wanted to say that so far my experience has been fantastic at ODFL. It's long hours, but seeing how much I'm getting paid, I can't really complain.

Running linehaul is just as much a lifestyle as OTR. Most folks who aren't drivers would cringe at working 12 hour days, but then again, how many folks earn at least 80k by working banker hours? I know that I basically am running 5 days a week, and then have my family and downtime for only two days a week. That's the job, and it is a lifestyle. Even though I come home every night, it's still just a matter of waking, working, eating, and sleeping 5 days a week.

I got into trucking with ODFL, so that's been my entire trucking experience. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to pull a tanker, but financially speaking, I couldn't justify leaving ODFL for a tanker job with any truckload outfit. I also enjoy my time with my family.

Any of you guys / gals run out of the NE?
:cool: Listen BillyLo, you have the best job in the LTL business. I have been doing this for 44 years and ODFL is a great LTL Company to work for and better then any other LTL Carriers in the system. Trucking is not a easy life:eek:! But once you get some more years in with OD and get a bid run, life will be lot easy. But please do not leave for some low paying tanker company or truckload carrier you will not like it and you will regret. I know a lot of these junk outfits. Just stay with ODFL and be :D happy and put your 50 years in with ODFL ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS. Do not run the NE if you can, run south or out west.

Hey truckerhog, I was confused because you addressed BillyLo, but I'm the one that mentioned about always wondering what pulling a tanker would be like. Also, I know it's not an easy life, already been living it!!! I also know I love working for ODFL, it's a great company. Looking forward to getting to know some OD drivers on this forum. Oh, and I don't really have a choice running the NE - it's where I live. Plus, I'm not into bagging out w/ a family at home.

Good Luck!!I think I can answer for other line driver's.I believe at the end of my run I would be ready to go home instead of playing on the dock.Just saying..Welcome to the board.Great guy's here.But,we alway's love shaking it up a little.;)o_O
I've already enjoyed reading your posts. And, I'll help you shake it up a little. :cool: