Yellow | Route optimization

Best route optimizer around is a city man who knows his route and his customers.

At FedEx, my old barn used to let the city drivers advise the loaders. We got a new TM who put a stop to it because he thought he knew better. Six months down the road at the weekly driver meeting, he asked why our on-time delivery ratio had fallen from 99% to 96%. Every single city driver said the same thing. "The loaders aren't loading the trailer right. I'm having to move freight around and it's taking longer."

It took another 2% drop for the TM to realize that having the supervisors do the route planning wasn't working because nobody was asking the drivers how the trailer should be loaded.
Problem is you cant let every peddle man load up his run in the AM. No room or equipment to leave all that freight staged .Plus some barns the driver is not allowed, only the dockman can load it.

Best route optimizer around is a city man who knows his route and his customers.

At FedEx, my old barn used to let the city drivers advise the loaders. We got a new TM who put a stop to it because he thought he knew better. Six months down the road at the weekly driver meeting, he asked why our on-time delivery ratio had fallen from 99% to 96%. Every single city driver said the same thing. "The loaders aren't loading the trailer right. I'm having to move freight around and it's taking longer."

It took another 2% drop for the TM to realize that having the supervisors do the route planning wasn't working because nobody was asking the drivers how the trailer should be loaded.
Ha.
That happened 8 years ago when we were combined.
And nothing has changed at the clustercluck.

Ha.
That happened 8 years ago when we were combined.
And nothing has changed at the clustercluck.
I loaded peddle units at a combo barn for years. what I did was every dockman was also a driver so i had the fuy that knew the areas best load those runs. also never loaded first two stops till driver came out.

I loaded peddle units at a combo barn for years. what I did was every dockman was also a driver so i had the fuy that knew the areas best load those runs. also never loaded first two stops till driver came out.
Ahhh. The good ol days when we all worked to get it done. Now the management just wants you out. It seems they want a fail and their doing a good job at that.
I see it everyday as do others. Just want to throw my hand up in the air and say f+*k it.
I do.

Ahhh. The good ol days when we all worked to get it done. Now the management just wants you out. It seems they want a fail and their doing a good job at that.
I see it everyday as do others. Just want to throw my hand up in the air and say f+*k it.
I do.
thats why I "retired". Didnt want guys like me with old school mentallity anymore. all about bogus numbers. If you achieved ten items, the other ten suck. no way you can do 20 things right every shift. thats how they control you and belittle you. plus managers never ran a shift before. useless to anyone.

Problem is you cant let every peddle man load up his run in the AM. No room or equipment to leave all that freight staged .Plus some barns the driver is not allowed, only the dockman can load it.
Way it was at my old barn, the last of the overnight linehaul got in about an hour before the first city peddle went out. City men already had the incoming bills when the linehaul box bumped the dock. Not much freight staging required, everything moved direct from linehaul box to city box as it came out for the most part.

Way it was at my old barn, the last of the overnight linehaul got in about an hour before the first city peddle went out. City men already had the incoming bills when the linehaul box bumped the dock. Not much freight staging required, everything moved direct from linehaul box to city box as it came out for the most part.
Sounds like someone knew how to set up a dock & move the freight. They used to have the 7 & 8 am drivers out the gate within 30 minutes of their start time. Already loaded. About 6 years ago that changed. Managers who knew how to run a freight barn left the company for different reasons & the new breed took over. Only problem was they said their idea was better than the old way. Now you have those same drivers spending 1 to 3 hours before they are out the gate. They have to break a shipment off a inbound that has got to be delivered. It must go on his trailer before he leaves. But half the time that one shipment is late or NEVER is delivered that day, because he got such a late start & more window time now days to kick off his freight. Like Forest siad, 'stupid is as stupid does'. Or my favorite from the sign @ the Jim Jones Compound 'those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it'. von.

Sounds like someone knew how to set up a dock & move the freight. They used to have the 7 & 8 am drivers out the gate within 30 minutes of their start time. Already loaded. About 6 years ago that changed. Managers who knew how to run a freight barn left the company for different reasons & the new breed took over. Only problem was they said their idea was better than the old way. Now you have those same drivers spending 1 to 3 hours before they are out the gate. They have to break a shipment off a inbound that has got to be delivered. It must go on his trailer before he leaves. But half the time that one shipment is late or NEVER is delivered that day, because he got such a late start & more window time now days to kick off his freight. Like Forest siad, 'stupid is as stupid does'. Or my favorite from the sign @ the Jim Jones Compound 'those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it'. von.
this sounds like the story everywhere. The whole industry has changed. using analytics now. Thats why Hillary lost.

Yeah there's no common sense in route optimization at the foodservice warehouse level. At one time they tried being so concerned about where trucks where going on their routes to save on fuel, idle time, labor and whatever else, it was almost up to a panic mode, blah blah. Well that has all long gone out the window. It's all back to making no sence at all and pissing off customers, burying the driver, criss crossing routes, lots OT, warehouse can't load a trl if their life depended on it, tipping pallets, bebopping all over. If customers don't want lunch delivery well to bad that's when they will scheduled it. There might have been a ton of trucks returning at the end of the day driving past or near one customer, but the last truck makes the delivery at 6PM. Two trucks making a delivery to same customer from 2 different warehouses, yup it happened. All the time 4 or 5 other different warehouses come into town. Pallet stops oh no you still will have to build a pallet or two or three on the dock. If your lucky enough to pull pallets off, better watch out with the fine 7' plus tall pallet that it doesn't fall apart. Cut it in half because it won't fit through the doorways.

If it doesn't make sence well more likely it will make sence to corporate, and the optimization begins.

In the end nobody cares just get the product delivered. Your getting paid either way.

I show up for entertainment purposes only. It beats getting all pissed off about something you have no control over.