ABF | Rubes Truck Stop

vongrimmenstein

I stand for our flag, & kneel for the fallen
Credits
Whatever happened to a place called Rubes Truck Stop in Jersey City, NJ with the Diner right where you pulled in & out. I was there about 4 or 5 times in the early 80's. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. The arm pit of the world. Parking that tried the skills of a seasoned veteran. Hookers knocking on your door. You tried to go in there empty. If you didn't you would be empty when you got up. I could say more, but anyone who was there back in the 80's & 90's will know what I mean. von.

Whatever happened to a place called Rubes Truck Stop in Jersey City, NJ with the Diner right where you pulled in & out. I was there about 4 or 5 times in the early 80's. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. The arm pit of the world. Parking that tried the skills of a seasoned veteran. Hookers knocking on your door. You tried to go in there empty. If you didn't you would be empty when you got up. I could say more, but anyone who was there back in the 80's & 90's will know what I mean. von.
It also had the most shootings of any truck stop in America. Remember it well.

I never stopped in but I knew the legend of Rube's. What the hell made you think of that place?

I never stopped in but I knew the legend of Rube's. What the hell made you think of that place?
Someone posted on one of these forums about staying out of Brooklyn & Jersey city area. Brought back a few memories. Rubes had a lot of Freight Brokers there in their trailers & that was where you got a lot of your back hauls out of the NY NJ area. After staying overnight several times trying to find freight, I finally drove all the way back to the TA @ the Delaware Water Gap (exit 4) I think. Then back during the day. 3 nights @ that place was enough for anyone.. The cops could have built a police station on the property & it would not have mattered. Back then drivers carried a lot more cash for fuel & things than they do today. It was like a magnet for crime. From exit 15E off the pike to the TA was about 80 miles if I remember right. Worth every mile & your time back & forth versus possible death. von.

Last edited:
I helped a buddy of mine hand-transfer a load out of a sea-can in the parking lot one night. We never had so many "offers" of help. Someone would stick their head between the two trailers and we'd hear "Yo! Man..You need some......",...and I would bang on the side of the sea-can with an old car-hauling tiedown bar.........I believe the official name was the Jersey City Truck Stop,.......and "Rubes" was what they called all the naive out-of-staters that thought they could get a quiet night's sleep in the bunk right there at the junction of Rts. 1 and 9 in the heart of beautiful old Secaucus.........When I die and go to Hell and am forced to drive a B Model with a Quadruplex and an overload all through eternity on Satan's highways,...I know I will never see a worse truck stop than......."Rubes".....

I helped a buddy of mine hand-transfer a load out of a sea-can in the parking lot one night. We never had so many "offers" of help. Someone would stick their head between the two trailers and we'd hear "Yo! Man..You need some......",...and I would bang on the side of the sea-can with an old car-hauling tiedown bar.........I believe the official name was the Jersey City Truck Stop,.......and "Rubes" was what they called all the naive out-of-staters that thought they could get a quiet night's sleep in the bunk right there at the junction of Rts. 1 and 9 in the heart of beautiful old Secaucus.........When I die and go to Hell and am forced to drive a B Model with a Quadruplex and an overload all through eternity on Satan's highways,...I know I will never see a worse truck stop than......."Rubes".....
Aaahh but...but...but....just look at that fantastic memory you acquired.

Di

Didn't say trashing his name. Just didn't miss hearing his name. lol
I hear ya, but when I hear OTR stories he has a way of coming to mind. Personally I think that he made the mistake of his life but who knows? I know that canaryinthemine and I have been there done that...and there is no way I'm going back.

My break-even point was 86 cents a running mile,.........in 1990 with a used truck. I think there are guys out there running for just about that much now,......and fuel is quadruple of what it was then. Frankly, I think it's cheaper and less painful to buy a ball-peen hammer and smack yourself in the forehead every time you think about becoming an O/O.

I tried to stay out of there. The old drivers told a story of a guy found hanging on a meat hook in his trailer. His truck had been running for days, when they finally went to check on him. Don’t know if story was true but as a young driver for Time-DC I believed it.

I went into that truckstop regularly.

Ive got some stories come out of there. The diner too.

The last meal that arrived onto my counter top in front of me was toast, eggs and sausage gravy etc. And a inch of flies.

I threw a ten on that plate and walked out. To get to my truck and get it out of there was a problem.

Drove it straight to the shop. threw the keys on that poor boss's desk and told him off. Never again.

From that day to this day I made sure I do not stop anywhere in Jersey Citty. For nothing. They were dead to me. My family has a history going back 150 years to that place. But its ashes and dust. This was way back into the 80's and damn few truckstops are worse than this place.

I tried to stay out of there. The old drivers told a story of a guy found hanging on a meat hook in his trailer. His truck had been running for days, when they finally went to check on him. Don’t know if story was true but as a young driver for Time-DC I believed it.
There's a flashback, Time-DC terminal right off Route 3. :1036316054: