Yellow | Rules for hours for City Drivers

chris

TB Lurker
Credits
Ran into a problem today about hours for a P and D driver. I worked 7 hours on the dock. They did hold me for 2. Then they sent me on the street to drive. I said I will be back on my 10th hour. Sup. said no, I have you until 14th hour. Is this true? What does the contract say? Thanks!!!

you can work 14 hours in the city, but depends on your local work rules if they can "force" you to go until the 14th....when I was in the city, going from the dock to p & d for overtime was completely volunteer and some guys would go out for as long as they wanted, some would go out until their 14th hour. Check with your steward to see exactly what they can force you to do.

My queston is what is you job title? Do you work a 8hr shift normally? 10hr? I know at our barn, they have until 2hrs before the end of the shift to tell you your staying late. But if your a city guy I don't think that applies. I guess it all depends on your local work rules.

Here locally they can hold you till 10 once you hit the clock. If you let them know you need to be off on your 8's you do so b/4 you hit the clock.

Had a case where a senior man was force back out on the street when a jr man who came in later on hit the yard at the same time but the senior man came in b/4 his 10th
hr. Should of taken a break before coming in.

christopher3573 said:
Ran into a problem today about hours for a P and D driver. I worked 7 hours on the dock. They did hold me for 2. Then they sent me on the street to drive. I said I will be back on my 10th hour. Sup. said no, I have you until 14th hour. Is this true? What does the contract say? Thanks!!!
christopher, DockSteward can probably answer that question better that I can. I am a City Driver, not a Combo Driver. We do not have a combination classification at our terminal. I am not %100 certain on this but when a dock worker or switcher at 671 has there 4 hours I think they can not be forced out after there 4th hour. I think this is a local work rule.

When a city driver at 671 comes back in and he does not have his 10 hours he can be forced back out. If he does have his 10 he can go home.
Ask your BA and he should know. Since our (671) work rules will not apply to you in your situation. Since our terminal does not have a combo classification.

Toxic is right. It's different at the BB than at a combo terminal. Give your BA a quick call, I don't want to give you bad info. DS.

Hey chris.....the way I understand, according to DOT you can drive for 11 hours and work up to 14 hrs. So in your case you worked 7 on the dock and can drive up to 7 more. Like I said give Claude or Steve a call down at the hall, just to be sure. DS.

Hey chris.....the way I understand, according to DOT you can drive for 11 hours and work up to 14 hrs. So in your case you worked 7 on the dock and can drive up to 7 more. Like I said give Claude or Steve a call down at the hall, just to be sure. DS.

DS,

This statement appears right on the money. I know one day at 187, the previous TM told us outright, "I own you for 14 hours everyday until you hit your 60". He changed his tune slightly when guys were telling him on Thursday night that they would only have 4 hours available for Friday, and if he ordered us in for the 4 hours he'd have to pay us for 8 anyway.

central region local cartage supplement
The article 61 section 2 supplement in the contract reads" No dock,yard or other city employee shall be required to work more than ten hours in any one shift. This applies to city drivers only when they return to thier terminal after completing their assigned work in the city.
It then talks about clean up crews, which 7 days operations would not have.
Forced OT needs to be announced 1 hour before shift end
I would get with your Steward and BA and find out how they want to handle this.
I know at our terminal our steward told dockworkers forced to street to do what they could then come back in to get off at 10 hours.
City drivers coming back in after bid ends will go to dock to finish the forced ot if junior guys are on dock. Never get back before 10 when forcing.

Dont confuse DOT hours of service and what contract reads. Just because DOT says you can work 14 means the contract says you have to.

I found out about the hours for combo terminals. If you work the dock, before your 6th hour they have to tell you about holding you for 2 hours over. If during any of the time before your 10 th hour they send you out driving, you have to complete the run even if it takes you 14 hours. But if you come back to the yard after your 10 th hour, they cannot send you back out....So, since they laid guys off here and can't work casuals, they work us on the dock for 8 or 9 hours then send us out driving. To me it is unsafe as hell but they can do it...........

Chris,
These Companies don't care about safety....all they care about is performance numbers. Safety is only brought up if one of us screws up.

If during any of the time before your 10 th hour they send you out driving, you have to complete the run even if it takes you 14 hours.

Cris,
What does your southern or eastern local supplement say about forcing OT? If it reads, not over 10 like ours does. I would get your steward next time. tell the dispatcher the work assignment they gave you will force you to work more than 10 hours and give you another assignment more in line with the time left. Don't refuse to do any assignment let the steward do the arguing.