Running on empty...(NOT the Jackson Browne song!)

PFlash

TB Lurker
Credits
A guy I work with ran out of fuel last week in his assigned tractor. All of us drive the same truck everyday (I've worked at this company for 4.5 months and NOBODY else has ever driven my unit) and we run the same general areas each day of the week. Should the driver be disciplined for this? Just curious as to what you guys think.

Run out of fuel here and the road service call comes out of your pay. We all had to sign a paper agreeing to that. Has happened one to many times within the entire company. Guess some drivers forget to open their fuel caps and check to see if the tanks have enough fuel. Fuel gauges do fail often.

Its an honest mistake, the man should file a grievance if he is disciplined... :) Really, no excuse for that, but some drivers don't know better, they go by the gauge, so if the gauge was faulty then NO the man should not be disciplined, the equipment should be up to snuff and working gauges included!!!!!!

Its an honest mistake, the man should file a grievance if he is disciplined... :) Really, no excuse for that, but some drivers don't know better, they go by the gauge, so if the gauge was faulty then NO the man should not be disciplined, the equipment should be up to snuff and working gauges included!!!!!!

To my knowledge, the gauge is in working order. Remember, we drive the same trucks everyday and those trucks are maintained by Ryder - if I ever have an issue, I write it up and it gets fixed. I have mixed feelings on this issue. The guy didn't fuel the day before because he "didn't want to wait in line", so he knew he'd be pushing it.

To my knowledge, the gauge is in working order. Remember, we drive the same trucks everyday and those trucks are maintained by Ryder - if I ever have an issue, I write it up and it gets fixed. I have mixed feelings on this issue. The guy didn't fuel the day before because he "didn't want to wait in line", so he knew he'd be pushing it.

In that case, yes, he should get a letter or whatever discipline your company dishes out. There is no excuse for not wanting to wait in line. It don't happen often, but I gotta say I would agree with management on that deal.

Sometimes we all need to be corrected, a dose of discipline will make him think before he gets impatient again. :)