SAIA | Ryder taking over maintenance??

CWman

TB Lurker
Credits
We were told today that Ryder will be doing maintenance on the Tractors, also that drivers will be fueling at Ryder locations only. Over the weekend all the tractors had little white stickers put in front of the drivers doors, that have something to do with it and small button like computer chips behind the door. Has anyone else heard the rumor that Saia shops will be closed and Ryder will take over all maintenance?

saia has sent big money puting in onsite fuel at many locations Wich is most likely bought on contract for less than retail fuel avalible at other locations. I don't see them abandoning the investment in the fuel tanks, And I would be willing to bet there own shops are more cost effective that a 3rd party vendor.

I agree with tired & Hungary haven't heard anything about them closing down shops or fuel islands on the other side maybe it's agreement out of some of the smaller terminals. Then again it's SAIA anything is possible.

I haven't heard anything about this, but I will see. I know Warren says if its broke, fix it whether it goes to a vendor or to one of our shops. The company does save a ton of money with the bulk fuel locations over buying it on the road. They have been using Volvo to gets the main and rod bearings replaced it oder trucks. The Ryder deal as stated by someone earlier could be something at smaller terminals.guess we will see.

After calling some of my Ryder mechanic guys, I found out that "Little Sticker" that has MMC loc. 0177 Saia stands for MMC = Managed Maintenance Contract. The phone number 855-662-5108 will be active at the end of the year and is to a GA. Ryder call center set up to handle maintenance break downs, vendors PO's, general maintenance needs of a terminal that does not have SAIA mechanics. No other factual info. availible yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I heard. No large terminal mechanic shops will be closed but there are some small shops that may be closed. Where possible, Ryder will take over inspection, maintenance, and repair. Also, that chip by the driver door allows Saia trucks to fuel at Ryder fuel stops. Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

the computer chip on the door will give the truck info (except the milage) when you pull into the fuel lane at ryder. i am thinking the fuel will do away with our fuel cards but we will still have bulk fuel at the terminals

I wouldn't take Ryder for granted as they don't have facilities everywhere. Unless there are enough accounts to warrant the establishment of a local shop, there won't be one available. Also applies to the fueling situations as well. This will have to play itself out to see how effective it will be.

When pulling into a Ryder facility for fuel, the fuel attendant will want the mileage and the drivers name. They will chock the wheels, fuel the truck, check the oil and other fluids as well as put a gauge on the tires and check the lights and flashers and most times wash the windshield. If the truck uses Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) they have it available there unless they are out.

100MEDIA_IMAG0327_zpsa01c60a9.jpg
[/IMG]

They were here this weekend.Said they were only doing overflow.

One other thing about Ryder locations, not all are 24 hour shops/fuel locations. Most if not all are only open 5 days per week with limited hours.

It was my understanding that Ryder would be handling the emergency road calls as well.When you dig through the website you will find emergency road calls 24/7. Also, if this means no more shuttling tractors to the large terminal shops for maintenance and inspection, then sign me up.

google RyderMap - Ryder Location Map

I worked for od a couple yrs and they had old dominion road rescue it was a third party company u called when u broke down and they handled it all terminals or shops were not involved ...iam hoping this is going to be kind of the same thing

They have an 800 number and do have followup to make sure the driver is kept in the loop as to what is happening in regards to road service. It's a good product to have and good people that do the work.

Seem like in my region,the Saia way has taken over Ryder's repairs of the equipment...In other words, numerous units parked due to the "waiting for approval" phase of the repair..No wonder our CSA maintenance scores are low..