Reddaway | Sacramento Decertify?

hay steve
i noticed the other guys that were involved in the decert have been promoted into management positions, and your still behind the wheel, thats just wrong, no respect for the peteitioner.:pirate2:

hey fair enough, sounds like we agree. but i believe 401k are safer than pensions. i've seen alot of pensions go down the drown the last few years. neither are 100% safe though. i just feel safer with a 401k. also i don't like having to work 5 yrs before your vested in the pension.

:smilie_132:
hey fair enough, sounds like we agree. but i believe 401k are safer than pensions. i've seen alot of pensions go down the drown the last few years. neither are 100% safe though. i just feel safer with a 401k. also i don't like having to work 5 yrs before your vested in the pension.

The Western Conference pension is fully funded I believe. Correct me someone if I am wrong. So I believe its safer than 401K at this moment.

In Sac they would have got 2 for 1. So if you worked there 5 years you would get another 5 years so you would have 10. You would be vested. there were alot of perks in the contract and while it was not the best contract in the world it was a very good start.

But again since you don't have to put any of your money into the pension you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. So Both was a hell of a deal. I'm sure you'll agree. Thats why i find it so hard to believe the workers there did not want it. it just makes no sense.
:smilie_132:

STONEYABF??
would you like to enlighten us lowley reddaway drivers how you came to your conclusion? in what way would a 5% company matching 401k in todays OPEN market come anywhere near your $5.00 per hour defined benifit pension.I realy doubt you are a teamster but I will play along so you can come up with a OBAMA like answer to your UN-explainable post.:toxic:

hey fair enough, sounds like we agree. but i believe 401k are safer than pensions.

You have seen single employer pensions go down the drain. The western pension plan all reddaway employees would fall under is #2 out of about 160 multi employer pension plans. It has been #1 for many years but last year slipped to number 2. There are over 32 Billion dollars in the trust so this thing isn't going anywhere anytime soon. There is enough money in there right now to cover every participant and their children. Not trusting the trust is not a viable excuse to not want to participate. You will need to come up with another reason.

but if u start the 401 at age 30 you can retire at 50 also.. and be a very RICH man!!

I started my 401k at age 30.
12 years at Preston and my account was at $119,000.
Then we had the dot com crash. Now 10 more years at Roadway, and another crash of the markets. I had been putting 15% pretax and 5 % after tax for the last 10 years. My balance right now is hovering around $50,000. Nothing is set in stone with your 401K. I too was under the belief that I would have a million in my account when I was ready to retire. I have seen the error of my thinking. However, my defined pension plan will pay me roughly $3000 per month when I retire. Even Social Security goes through constant changes and reevaluations. The fact that I have all 3 plus my paid medical benefits, will lead me to a very comfortable retirement.....and I will be retiring well before the age of 65.

You also asked about houses and cars, etc.........
I own a house, 3 cars, 2 boats, and have roughly 1/4 million in the bank from other investments and savings. If you think you can get by on just a 401k and SS, I beg you to rethink about your future.

i will tell why .. a union, is a union, is a union.. you got to do 25 yearsto get a pension thats worth a fu&K.(if you call 3200 to 3600 hundred a month good money). let me ask you this, if
you put in 9 years and the company shuts down..I.E CF, nations way, systems 99... how much do you get? If you never get another union job... a 401k 9 years old gets me 200,000... what is so bad about having your own money:sombrero2:

I previously posted that I would get roughly $3000 per month...a nice round figure. Now multiply that by 12 and it works out to $36,000 per year. But wait, my pension calls for a 13th check in December, so that total is now $39,000 per year. That's money that didn't come out of my pocket in the first place, nor is it money coming out of my pocket, in the form of 401k withdrawals. Should my pension go as high as $3600 per month that would make my yearly take worth over $46,000. Those totals are for the rest of my life. What do you have after you've withdrawn all your 401k money?

I previously posted that I would get roughly $3000 per month...a nice round figure. Now multiply that by 12 and it works out to $36,000 per year. But wait, my pension calls for a 13th check in December, so that total is now $39,000 per year. That's money that didn't come out of my pocket in the first place, nor is it money coming out of my pocket, in the form of 401k withdrawals. Should my pension go as high as $3600 per month that would make my yearly take worth over $46,000. Those totals are for the rest of my life. What do you have after you've withdrawn all your 401k money?

Nice, nice I wish these others could see this picture clearly.

I started my 401k at age 30.
12 years at Preston and my account was at $119,000.
Then we had the dot com crash. Now 10 more years at Roadway, and another crash of the markets. I had been putting 15% pretax and 5 % after tax for the last 10 years. My balance right now is hovering around $50,000. Nothing is set in stone with your 401K. I too was under the belief that I would have a million in my account when I was ready to retire. I have seen the error of my thinking. However, my defined pension plan will pay me roughly $3000 per month when I retire. Even Social Security goes through constant changes and reevaluations. The fact that I have all 3 plus my paid medical benefits, will lead me to a very comfortable retirement.....and I will be retiring well before the age of 65.

You also asked about houses and cars, etc.........
I own a house, 3 cars, 2 boats, and have roughly 1/4 million in the bank from other investments and savings. If you think you can get by on just a 401k and SS, I beg you to rethink about your future.
Good thing you have a good pension and other investments, your gonna need them with 2 boats!! Beer and maintenance has got to be a fortune!!:biglaugh:

Good thing you have a good pension and other investments, your gonna need them with 2 boats!! Beer and maintenance has got to be a fortune!!:biglaugh:

Haha gas alone is ridiculous. I put my boat in the water last weekend and 1 fill up is around 180.00.

Haha gas alone is ridiculous. I put my boat in the water last weekend and 1 fill up is around 180.00.
costs me over 400 to fill up my 100 gallon tank for my gas guzzler so I dont feel too sorry for ya, but I do feel your pain!:chairshot::chairshot: Good thing I love the boat and being able to get away from all the BS on the weekends. So dang relaxing, I'm running out of sick days for fridays and mondays!!!!:hysterical:

It costs me $130 just to fill up my van.
I'm repowering my big boat with (2)diesels as we speak, but at $5.50 for diesel, it's still gonna hurt.
New gas tank holds 230 gallons.

shoeman said:
costs me over 400 to fill up my 100 gallon tank for my gas guzzler so I dont feel too sorry for ya, but I do feel your pain! Good thing I love the boat and being able to get away from all the BS on the weekends. So dang relaxing, I'm running out of sick days for fridays and mondays!!!!

A bad day on the water, still beats a good day at work, every time.:boat::woot2:

A bad day on the water, still beats a good day at work, every time.
Got that right my friend! I can hit the water run about 30 miles, set the anchor, pop a top, crank up the tunes and if anybody says something about YRC they better have a friggin lifejacket on because I dont want to hear it!!!!!!:1036316054:

My 69 Camaro at 12.5 to 1 compression drinks 110 leaded racing gas at 8.50 a gallon, gets 8 miles to the gallon. Want to buy it?

STONEYABF??
would you like to enlighten us lowley reddaway drivers how you came to your conclusion? in what way would a 5% company matching 401k in todays OPEN market come anywhere near your $5.00 per hour defined benifit pension.I realy doubt you are a teamster but I will play along so you can come up with a OBAMA like answer to your UN-explainable post.:toxic:

ok #1
. I'm not an obama supporter. just because i'm a teamster, and yes i'm a teamster whats so hard to believe? anyways just because i'm a teamster, doesn't mean i support obama. i voted for bush that last two elections.
#2 you refer today's market. yes today's market is down. but here are some facts. over the past 70 years the market has averaged a 12% return. for every 10 year period, the market has made money or grown 100% of the time. for every 5 year period the market has made money or grown 67% of the time.
investing in the market has to be a long term goal. not short term. and this is the best time to invest anyways. ever heard buy low sell high. well, the market is low, so buy!
#3 with a 401K. you can take that money with you, anywhere you go. a pension you can't.

ok? i'm not putting down the pension. my grandfather retired from yellow in 81, my dad from roadway 2 yrs ago. all i'm saying from a mathematical point of view, if done right a 401k is a great tool. and how many pensions from the big 3 car company's and airlines have been bought-out or just plain disappeared the last few years. quite a bit.

yes in a down market a 401k will take a hit, but keep investing, its a long-term investing tool. and i don't ever remember putting any of you usf guys down. i don't know why your remark back to me had to be, snotty.

well if the 401k is SOOOOOO GREAT!!!!!why dont you quit that union gig and come over to reddaway and work? I have never seen or heard of anyone that I personaly know retiring on a 401k.I personaly know 20 -25 gentlemen who infact have retired on their union pension and all of them are freight haulers.you find me 1 example of a individual you personaly know thats retired on a 401k.401k is a suppliment to a pension nothing more.most people use their 401k to finish paying off debt when they retire.I will give you an example of why the 401k wont net you a million bucks for 20 years of saving.
inside the YRC 401k there are NO mutaul funds worth risking the farm on.so you will NOT average that 12% you are seeking.most people use the FID freedom funds and you will be lucky to get a 6% return inside it.when you a hit a million you let us know OK!! you will be the first:1036316054:

well if the 401k is SOOOOOO GREAT!!!!!why dont you quit that union gig and come over to reddaway and work? I have never seen or heard of anyone that I personaly know retiring on a 401k.I personaly know 20 -25 gentlemen who infact have retired on their union pension and all of them are freight haulers.you find me 1 example of a individual you personaly know thats retired on a 401k.401k is a suppliment to a pension nothing more.most people use their 401k to finish paying off debt when they retire.I will give you an example of why the 401k wont net you a million bucks for 20 years of saving.
inside the YRC 401k there are NO mutaul funds worth risking the farm on.so you will NOT average that 12% you are seeking.most people use the FID freedom funds and you will be lucky to get a 6% return inside it.when you a hit a million you let us know OK!! you will be the first:1036316054:

i don't know what your problem is. people are retiring everyday with 1 to 2 million plus from a 401k. and your right the YRC 401k probably doesn't average 12%. but that's just one fund. also i said the market has averaged 12%. but there are thousands of different funds out there. they average anywhere from a negative to 30% or so. it all depends on how well the fund is managed and how the economy is doing. I don't think you understand how a pension works. let me give you a little lesson. a pension basically guarantees you will receive a set amount after so many years, right? well, the reason pensions are failing, is because no matter how good or bad the pension is managed, it has to pay you that guarantee amount to you. while our pension is handled well, and invested wisely, most are not. i really don't understand why you getting sooooooooooooo"AS YOU WOULD SAY" mad at me. its not hard to make a million in a 401k.

here's an example. lets say you make $60,000 a year. and you save 10% into a 401k, with NO employer match. and you average rate of return is 9% over 35 years. that's 1.3 million dollars. and you invested was $500 a month or $210,000 over 35 years. and that's considering you make $60,000 a year every year for 35 years. now you know you going to get raises. so 1.3 million is a very very conservative number.

my wives 403B last year returned 18%, this is looking more like 8%. that's a 13% average for 2 yrs. and you say you don't know anyone who retires on 401K's. well, where the hell have you been. there are more 401ks then pensions. pensions is a dying program. i'm not saying that's good or not. its just a fact. i'm just preparing just in case the pension goes under, stops or whatever. if its there when i retire, then great! i'm 30 yrs old. i will let you know when i get my million. do you wanna wait 20 or 25 years? also you make a million dollars sound like a a lot of money. it really isn't. if you retire at age 65, the average man lives till his early 80's, a woman lives into her late 80's. you got to make that 1 mil last 25 to 35 yrs.

can you not read dave? i know guys that retire on the teamster pension too. my grand dad, and dad. my grand dad retired in 81, his pension for 27 years is a little over $800 a month net. my dad's is a little over $2800 a month net, after 31 years. now my grand dad was smart, he invested on the side. that investment is now his main income, and the pension is extra money. my dad didn't invest. all he has is the pension. now my dad will be fine, his house is paid for, truck paid for, very little debt, and in a year he'll also have my mom's little pension of around $800 gross a month when she retires. and that $800 a month is after about 17 years with the local sheriff's office. buts all they both have. if they a put 8% to 10% away for that last 20 or 25 years, they be sittin even better.
so whats with the attitude? i'm not putting you down. i'm just giving my opinion. but i've done a lot more research than you. you argument is purely from emotion, mine is just facts. by the way, where my apology from you on your obama remark.

you also said most people use there 401k's to pay debt. well those people are like you. they can't add. when they cash out 401k, they pay a 10% penalty and then since its considered income, they pay taxes on that cashout. they will essentailly pay 30% to 40% just to cash out. its like taking a loan at 30%or 40%!
then you said there is no fund worth risking the farm on. your 100% right! but i'm not saying to bet the farm. just 8% to 10%.

My 69 Camaro at 12.5 to 1 compression drinks 110 leaded racing gas at 8.50 a gallon, gets 8 miles to the gallon. Want to buy it?

Sure!! I'll put it right next to my Mopar in the garage. 340 six pack that gets 13 mpg while I run on the primary carb (2 barrels). When I open up the other 4 barrels, it drops to 6 mpg.

i don't know what your problem is. people are retiring everyday with 1 to 2 million plus from a 401k. and your right the YRC 401k probably doesn't average 12%. but that's just one fund. also i said the market has averaged 12%. but there are thousands of different funds out there. they average anywhere from a negative to 30% or so. it all depends on how well the fund is managed and how the economy is doing. I don't think you understand how a pension works. let me give you a little lesson. a pension basically guarantees you will receive a set amount after so many years, right? well, the reason pensions are failing, is because no matter how good or bad the pension is managed, it has to pay you that guarantee amount to you. while our pension is handled well, and invested wisely, most are not. i really don't understand why you getting sooooooooooooo"AS YOU WOULD SAY" mad at me. its not hard to make a million in a 401k.

here's an example. lets say you make $60,000 a year. and you save 10% into a 401k, with NO employer match. and you average rate of return is 9% over 35 years. that's 1.3 million dollars. and you invested was $500 a month or $210,000 over 35 years. and that's considering you make $60,000 a year every year for 35 years. now you know you going to get raises. so 1.3 million is a very very conservative number.

my wives 403B last year returned 18%, this is looking more like 8%. that's a 13% average for 2 yrs. and you say you don't know anyone who retires on 401K's. well, where the hell have you been. there are more 401ks then pensions. pensions is a dying program. i'm not saying that's good or not. its just a fact. i'm just preparing just in case the pension goes under, stops or whatever. if its there when i retire, then great! i'm 30 yrs old. i will let you know when i get my million. do you wanna wait 20 or 25 years? also you make a million dollars sound like a a lot of money. it really isn't. if you retire at age 65, the average man lives till his early 80's, a woman lives into her late 80's. you got to make that 1 mil last 25 to 35 yrs.

can you not read dave? i know guys that retire on the teamster pension too. my grand dad, and dad. my grand dad retired in 81, his pension for 27 years is a little over $800 a month net. my dad's is a little over $2800 a month net, after 31 years. now my grand dad was smart, he invested on the side. that investment is now his main income, and the pension is extra money. my dad didn't invest. all he has is the pension. now my dad will be fine, his house is paid for, truck paid for, very little debt, and in a year he'll also have my mom's little pension of around $800 gross a month when she retires. and that $800 a month is after about 17 years with the local sheriff's office. buts all they both have. if they a put 8% to 10% away for that last 20 or 25 years, they be sittin even better.
so whats with the attitude? i'm not putting you down. i'm just giving my opinion. but i've done a lot more research than you. you argument is purely from emotion, mine is just facts. by the way, where my apology from you on your obama remark.

stoney,

I have no idea what funds you are reffering to in YRC's 401k plan. I'm sure the funds you mention are for non bargaining unit employees, since Teamster members are relagated to the Teamsters 401k plan. Last year the Teamsters 401k had a very good aggressive fund that I put everything into and realized a 28% return for ther year. Today, that fund has been changed somewhat and is losing over 13%, a 41% swing in the opposite direction. After losing $10,000 in the first 3 months of this year, I changed into a stable fund returning 1.31%. This is one of 2 funds available right now in the Teamster 401k returning any money. With 10 funds to choose from, half are returning 12% losses or more, 2 are positive,(1.31% & 0.76%), and the others are down roughly 6%. While I worked for Preston, we had our own 401k plan. I put heavily into the George Putnam funds which made me a killing back in the dot com days. That fund was returning 51%. However, like all markets, when they go down, they go down. I lost $80,000 when the dot coms crashed. So, even though I believed the myth of being a millionare by retirement, you can see how losing $90,000 over 20 years has changed the future of my 401k balance. Right now, I am sitting around $50,000 and with no contributions made since last year when I was injured, and with only 5 or 6 years to go before I retire (if my surgery allows me to return to work), I will be very fortunate to realize a 401k balance near $200,000. Mind you that when I contribute, I put 15% pretax and 5% after tax for a 20% contribution each week.