Central Transport | Safety: Be sure you set your brakes.

Jeepstr723

TB Regular
Credits
I posted this as well on the Estes forum, R.I.P.

The Herald, Sharon, Pa.
February 15, 2014
Estes fatality an apparent accident

By Michael Roknick
Herald Business Editor

SHENANGO TOWNSHIP — An Estes Express Lines truck driver was crushed to death Friday morning in what appears to be an accident at the company’s Shenango Township terminal, police and the company said.

Richard “Dick’’ Beck was attempting to connect his truck cab to a parked trailer at about 2:50 a.m., Southwest Mercer County Regional Police said.

Beck had exited the cab to go to its rear when the cab started drifting backward toward him, police said. As Beck reached back into the cab to hit the brake pedal, he was pinned between the open door of his cab and the corner of an adjacent parked trailer, police said.

“The assumption is he got caught in the door and it just wedged him between the cab and door and he got crushed against the stationary trailer,’’ said police Chief Riley Smoot Jr.

No age or address was immediately available for Beck, but a company spokeswoman believed he lived in the Dayton, Ohio, area.

Curtis E. Carr, vice president of safety for Estes, released a statement saying the company’s corporate chaplains were working with Beck’s family, as well as Estes employees in several locations. He said the company was deeply saddened by the tragic incident.

The Mercer County Coroner’s office responded but did not have a report available late Friday afternoon.

The federal Occupational and Safety Health Administration was notified of the fatality and had an investigator at the scene on Friday, said Theresa Naim, director of the agency’s Erie office.

She had no further information and a company spokeswoman declined further coment, citing the investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is a shame. Man goes to work and this happens, not good? I urge everyone to be careful, i don't ever like hearing stories like that.

I hate to hear this sad news. May the grace of God be with this man's family in this difficult time. I too heard about the Bensenville fatality. That driver was fueling. The tractor was in gear, and he started while standing outside with door open (the older trucks you can do this without pushing clutch pedal in). When he started it the truck jumped crushing him against the cement yellow post. Safety at Vitran told us about that one. Safety, safety, and safety. How many times we hear it, but often we get complacent on it. We get to much in a hurry, and forget. I am guilty myself. I think we all over our careers have forgotten to pull the yellow park valve. I know I have, and more than once. Thank God in all cases I was on level ground. I have learned to slow it down some which has helped. Nevertheless, we our human, and humans do forget, which sadly can end in a tragic accident.

Just some updated news. Dave Quick in Cle, is suppose to be going to Saia in Richfield.Oh. It will be like old times, as 5 of his drivers form Pjax are there now. Jared Mull is still listed as TM in Charlotte on the Saia web site. The Vitran driver that died this summer in Illinois was Marty. Was at Vitran for 15 years. Stamper is married into the Maroun family.All the Vitran freight is gone at my terminal, expect GM. Saia, Dayton Freight,Holland, and Pitt Ohio were the big winners. Lets hope Ct42 long has found some humility, this place is bad enough without his bashing.

:Off-Topic::Off-Topic:
Just some updated news. Dave Quick in Cle, is suppose to be going to Saia in Richfield.Oh. It will be like old times, as 5 of his drivers form Pjax are there now. Jared Mull is still listed as TM in Charlotte on the Saia web site. The Vitran driver that died this summer in Illinois was Marty. Was at Vitran for 15 years. Stamper is married into the Maroun family.All the Vitran freight is gone at my terminal, expect GM. Saia, Dayton Freight,Holland, and Pitt Ohio were the big winners. Lets hope Ct42 long has found some humility, this place is bad enough without his bashing.