ODFL | Safety...

However if a trailer is backed up to a dock it is considered a extension of the dock therefore by law the trailer does not need to be placarded; it is only when the trailer is pulled from the dock door at which point the trailer must be placarded. Companies want the trailers to be placarded during loading process which makes sense, but if a fire occurs when trailer is backed up to a cross dock the company would not be liable for no placards on trailer because the trailer is considered a extension of the dock.
Just have someone get hurt or killed from a trailer containing hazmat, not placarded, especially a fireman, or other emergency response person.The lawyers will have a field day with it. Look at what happens now if you get into a car accident. No fault of yours. The lawyers still put you 30 percent at fault just for being there. Guaranteed the widow of someone hurt or killed will have a lawyer all over it.

Trouble is, it does affect you. With the hazmat situation, it can affect the whole company. I see something, I try to approach the driver. Hell, I forgot to hook a chain to a trailer before. Another driver stopped me in the yard.

I saw a guy leaving ATL a few weeks ago, landing gear still down on the back box... he was scraping and sparking, I tried to yell at him to stop but he turned out of the yard and was grabbing gears. I wonder how long it was until he noticed. Something tells me there wasn’t much left of the gear when he got done.

I saw a guy leaving ATL a few weeks ago, landing gear still down on the back box... he was scraping and sparking, I tried to yell at him to stop but he turned out of the yard and was grabbing gears. I wonder how long it was until he noticed. Something tells me there wasn’t much left of the gear when he got done.
That’s why a final walk around/bill check gets done before this driver pulls out. And one enroute equipment check. Homie don’t play when it comes to hazmat or bad equipment.

I’m
That’s why a final walk around/bill check gets done before this driver pulls out. And one enroute equipment check. Homie don’t play when it comes to hazmat or bad equipment.
I go one further. I whip out the iPhone and take a picture of damaged equipment. Especially a dropped relay set. That’s something else that we were encouraged to do, a trailer has the wrong placarding on it take a photo of the number and placard. Send it to dispatch, dispatch sent it up the ladder. Enough of us did it. We don’t have a problem no more. There might be a mistake every now and then, but not a daily basis.

Song, I only did this if I was too heavy on the drive, put enough weight on your landing gear makes your drive legal.
Rookies like Fly and Ump don't know these tricks, Billy tought me this one.

I’m

I go one further. I whip out the iPhone and take a picture of damaged equipment. Especially a dropped relay set. That’s something else that we were encouraged to do, a trailer has the wrong placarding on it take a photo of the number and placard. Send it to dispatch, dispatch sent it up the ladder. Enough of us did it. We don’t have a problem no more. There might be a mistake every now and then, but not a daily basis.
I do the same. I have several pictures of damaged trailers/incorrect placards. I can’t believe folks just go by what that enforcer says. I rip the envelope open and check the bills themselves. That enforcer has been wrong several times.

Safety only applies during slow season. Time to write em up for locks and doing something off duty or calling off ...to thin the herd. It is comical managment used to answer to safety but these says it's vice versa. Follow the agenda.

I do the same. I have several pictures of damaged trailers/incorrect placards. I can’t believe folks just go by what that enforcer says. I rip the envelope open and check the bills themselves. That enforcer has been wrong several times.

Yes dispatchers get in a hurry at times and put the wrong info in.

Open the envelope? I used to do that but I got tired of idiot putting staples through it so f that.
This placard thing is out of hand. I had another trailer tonight without needed placards showing. I’m not pulling it without fixing it but if I did pull it would anyone care? The answer is no and the next guy would catch it and fix it and ZFG...

Open the envelope? I used to do that but I got tired of idiot putting staples through it so f that.
This placard thing is out of hand. I had another trailer tonight without needed placards showing. I’m not pulling it without fixing it but if I did pull it would anyone care? The answer is no and the next guy would catch it and fix it and ZFG...
Get in a wreck and it’s your butt

I thought landing gears were on jets?
hK8r3Ii.jpg

You're right, note position of wheels in front of sleeper berth, had this jet been over on drive, wheels would be
in down position.