SAIA | Saia Questions?

Moneyman01

Proud to be a dad!
Credits
I'm not 21 yet but looking around to different LTL carriers to drive for. I've posted at Yellows and Roadways forums and now I'm wondering about saia. Is Saia a good company to drive for? Hows the pay? Are the runs like a union company? Do you have to bid for a run every 6 months? What kind of retirement compared to a union carrier? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Josh

Saia

If your only 20 you won't start out driving any where. Do you even have your CDL ? You will have to start on the dock, Then hostle in the yard. Then they might put you in the city. Then you might get to go linehaul. Or you could go over the road to get your experience for a few years.

I forgot to say I am currently driving. I drive for a food distributor driving all over MN. By the time i turn 21 i will have 1 yr and 3 months driving experience

By age 21 you will be legal to cross state lines in a truck. The more experience the better. Food service.....hmm....at least you understand the hard work part.

Make sure you have your Hazmat and doubles endorsments. You would probibly run in the city to start. Not sure how MN works. I am in the Pacific Northwest. BT is correct Food Service Drivers are a good fit for the LTL industry.

Foodservice sucks. I get sick of going up and down a ramp with a load 2 wheeler and also going up and down steps. Not to mention going through pallets that have 5-10 stops on one pallet and you gotta dig through it 2 find a couple cases. Here in MN they have ads for linehaul drivers so i'm guessing you apply for linehaul thats what you get type of deal maybe. maybe to start they would want you to work the city to learn there way of things or something.

Usually, if one hires on as linehaul, that's where they start. If one does as I did and hired on in the city, then transferred over to linehaul, then you have the benefit (?) of both types of driving.

There are two types of senority. One is company senority that applies to benifits that are earned as a result of being with the company. Those would be vacation, and health insurance. That senority transfers from work unit to work unit.

The other type of senority is work unit senority. For example if you stay within one department (p&d, linehaul, shop, clerk)for 10 years your work unit senority is 10 years even if you have been with the company for longer. If you transfer from one department to another your work unit senority starts over at the bottom. If you return to your old work unit then you start over at the bottom on the senority roster for that work unit.

Having said all that, those fellows I referenced started in Linehaul prior to my transferring to linehaul. Therefore, they gave greater work unit senority than I. The kicker is that my company senority applies in regards to vacation choices above the above referenced fellows.

What is the pay for linehaul drivers? starting and what is the top pay? also what is city drivers pay? Are they a good company to work for?

top pay is 51.25 per mile and 20.35 per hour line haul...... 20.85 per hour city if im not mistaken........... anyway im knocking down 2000 per week or more, yes its a good job!