SAIA | Sales Force

LTLSALES23

TB Lurker
Credits
Love the thread and I am curious on your view points of the sales force. You can be vague or specific if you'd like...region/terminal...initials of people...whatever...just wanted to get a feel of how we rate to you guys/girls.

Love the thread and I am curious on your view points of the sales force. You can be vague or specific if you'd like...region/terminal...initials of people...whatever...just wanted to get a feel of how we rate to you guys/girls.

I spent 26 of my 28 years driving as a city driver with two different carriers. I've seen sales reps come and go.

I treasured the last two reps that were assigned to the area I worked in. They worked the area well and one always saw positive evidence of their visits. Addtionally, they knew their stuff(customers, rates, claims issues,etc.) and if I came to them with issues or leads they were glad to listen to me.

May Sales rep was just laid off. She had class, style and a good reputation with the customers...in fact they would ask "where's Joy?".

Now that she is no longer with Saia (without notice, severance package, or respect to seniority) I am fairly certain Saia will be asking "Where's the freight?"

before recently i would say that our local sales reps. weren't too good. in the past couple of weeks our freight levels have increased dramatically. i cannot say if it is due to the reps. actually going out and trying to get freight, or if it is b/c of consignee's request. i know our national account reps. need to do a better job. we lost Ashland Chemical and National Starch due to being under bid. those two accounts were what drove the GVL terminal for years.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. The market is tight...everyone wants to payless and ship more...my hat is off to you line and city drivers because I've never heard a bad comment from anyone of my customers.

Sais should focus on the relationship developed between the drivers and the shippers/consignee's.

Most customers allow shipping managers alot of slack when it comes to selection of freight companies. Those are the decision makers that we as drivers see day in and day out.

We also need to address broken and damaged freight. When a consignee looks into out trailers at others peoples freight that all tore up...they know not to use our services unless they want their freight looking like that to their customer!

Sais should focus on the relationship developed between the drivers and the shippers/consignee's.

Most customers allow shipping managers alot of slack when it comes to selection of freight companies. Those are the decision makers that we as drivers see day in and day out.

We also need to address broken and damaged freight. When a consignee looks into out trailers at others peoples freight that all tore up...they know not to use our services unless they want their freight looking like that to their customer!

I do agree with the relationship between customers and their drivers. Drivers see the customer each day and know them a bit more intimately than most sales reps. As for the damaged freight, that is just **** poor managment on the docks (add in misroutes to that as well) and selecting the cheapest laborers. Nothing worse than seeing a dock worker dump freight or take a corner too fast and the pallets get dumped...

I do agree with the relationship between customers and their drivers. Drivers see the customer each day and know them a bit more intimately than most sales reps. As for the damaged freight, that is just **** poor managment on the docks (add in misroutes to that as well) and selecting the cheapest laborers. Nothing worse than seeing a dock worker dump freight or take a corner too fast and the pallets get dumped...

ah yes...but alot of recent damages are not the dock worker's fault per say. when the first quarter began a "stack it at all costs" mentality was driven into their brains. that's great on a logistics trailer, but if it is not...well stack it anyway. now our regional manager has told them turn all skids sideways regardless. he won't be too happy to see a 1' x 4' skid is turned sideways..but hell, he pointed out one of those as not being turned.

The sales force is no better than the corporate office. If the sales force have their hands tied behind their back, there aint much they can do to get the freight. Some ltl's are offering 75% discounts.

When I was in the city I made bonds with the customers!! I would joke and talk with them daily and learn about their families as they did with mine!! That goes a long ways when someone has a choice on who gets the freight!! I had been invited to several company functions and went many times to the owners or warehouse managers delight!! I miss the people but I sure don’t miss the B.S!!!! that comes with the city!!

You should see the “talent” they have in Wisconsin…… Not Good.
They ran all the good Sales people out and replaced them with people from “outside the industry”

i think we need to hire more attractive women to our sales force. my TM took a customer golfing, and all he could talk about was how hot O.D.'s sales rep is.

You should see the “talent” they have in Wisconsin…… Not Good.
They ran all the good Sales people out and replaced them with people from “outside the industry”

Not quite sure what you mean about the talent in Wisconsin...the sales or the operations? Tough to sell against pallet rates I would suspect...$39.00 to anywhere in the Midwest will make you bankrupt fast.

What does a $39 pallet rate have anything to do with having a quality representative of your company.

“Running all the talent off” refers to having quality LTL sales people and then replacing them with people that have never been in the industry. For example, selling cell phones at the mall kiosk or magazine subscriptions door to door does not make you a dynamic LTL sales person…. Unless she is really hot..Then I can understand the tactic. If not, when you throw untrained and inexperienced people out to the wolves they don’t make it.