FedEx Freight | Say good bye to your vaction & personal time

ls57racer

TB Veteran
Credits
I was told last night that during a meeting with Watkins VP in SLC on Friday that the employees were told that they would be bought out of any remaining vacation time and they were unsure about the personal time that we could possibly lose it. Bottom line is we start at ZERO with Fed EX in regards to our Vacation and personal time. They were also unsure for Drivers if we would continue to recieve 1/52 of our annual gross for vacation pay or if it would change to 40 hrs at our standard pay rate (20.00 hr) for vacation.( which is how Fed-EX Freight West gets paid)As an example IF that happens it would mean a $1800.00 pay cut in vacation pay alone in my case :nutkick:

Familyman said:
Would that be for cotractors going to co or both contractors and co drivers?

FM
Contractors don't recieve paid vacations or personal days so it is just company drivers,dock workers and office personnel:duh:

ls57racer said:
I was told last night that during a meeting with Watkins VP in SLC on Friday that the employees were told that they would be bought out of any remaining vacation time and they were unsure about the personal time that we could possibly lose it. Bottom line is we start at ZERO with Fed EX in regards to our Vacation and personal time. They were also unsure for Drivers if we would continue to recieve 1/52 of our annual gross for vacation pay or if it would change to 40 hrs at our standard pay rate (20.00 hr) for vacation.( which is how Fed-EX Freight West gets paid)As an example IF that happens it would mean a $1800.00 pay cut in vacation pay alone in my case :nutkick:

If we start at zero do we have to wait a year to start acruing? Nobody has been able to answer that question yet. I know that freight gets some personal time. I believe they get 3 days a year also they get 4 weeks vacation after 15 yrs I think. So for me if we get the same type of plan I end up with a net gain of 1 day. My concern is how will our pay be figured for vacation.

ls57racer said:
Racer the east division of frt gets the 40hrs for vacation,the west is somewhat like you guys.We get so much for the time we put in a week,I am not sure how much but I am guessing about 60-70.00 per week.One of the senior west guys can tell you a little better than I can.

faithhope said:
No! Fedex Frieght East gets average of past year on vacation, not 40hours!

The above is for road drivers, city drivers get paid thier hourly rate for however many hours they choose to use that they have accumulated..
:wavey:

does this mean a contractor converting to a company driver (even though he has 15 yrs on the books as a contractor) will not be brought over to fedex with vacation time vested? it sounds like starting over like you just got hired with no benefits at all.

grelly said:
does this mean a contractor converting to a company driver (even though he has 15 yrs on the books as a contractor) will not be brought over to fedex with vacation time vested? it sounds like starting over like you just got hired with no benefits at all.
Well I hate to say it but you are a new hire, you were employed by yourself with a contract with Watkins, so unfortunately you will probably start from zero, however AF not FX did recognize the time that their contractors had when they made them become co drivers, so who knows, maybe they will throw you a bone.

FM

I think there's a misconception here. It's true that employees will be paid for their accrued vacation before the buyout is complete. The reason? Because those vacations are carried on the books as a liability (it's money that's been earned, but not paid yet), and Watkins has to discharge them before the sale is complete.

However, you DON'T "lose" your vacation time. You just get paid for the vacation time you've already earned. You will continue to accrue vacation time, the same as you are now, after the FedEx takeover. Say you have 5 days earned now. You get paid for those 5 days. Then you accrue another two days before your scheduled vacation time. You will have 7 days of vacation, but only get paid for the 2 days you've accrued since the takeover.

However, the other 5 days were already paid for. If you put that money in the bank, you'll actually have a few dollars of interest on it, so when you take your vacation, you'll actually have MORE pay for the 7 days of vacation, not LESS! What a deal, huh?

This was the word from FedEx guys at the Memphis terminal yesterday, by the way.

Starting Over Again

So, your saying that we will have started our Vacation time over with the new company status not what we currently have? Next year I will have one year with FexEx National and not the 14yrs I have now. I am 100% vested in WML and will be starting fresh with FedEX!

spirit said:
So, your saying that we will have started our Vacation time over with the new company status not what we currently have? Next year I will have one year with FexEx National and not the 14yrs I have now. I am 100% vested in WML and will be starting fresh with FedEX!

how it was explained to me by my manager was that when FDX takes over we won't miss a beat. Our vacation will be as if we have been with FDX the whole time. No lag time.

ls57racer said:

I have not read any replies yet but I must say that you probably have been told a bunch of B.S.

WHY, WHY would FedEx do something like that?

No common sense thinking would re-enforce your post.

joe bucker said:
how it was explained to me by my manager was that when FDX takes over we won't miss a beat. Our vacation will be as if we have been with FDX the whole time. No lag time.
EXACTLY.....And safe driving years, and service awards and the whole nine yards.