SAIA | Say It Ain't So

I probably have as many miles as any of Saia's employees, I've driven some of the most horrible IHC's, Fords
KWs, Freightliners,Macks,GMCs and even a nightmare Dodge.
With you engineer's vast knowledge of purchasing a fleet of trucks, I'm curious, what would you spec and buy for Saia that would make you guys happy?

I probably have as many miles as any of Saia's employees, I've driven some of the most horrible IHC's, Fords
With you engineer's vast knowledge of purchasing a fleet of trucks, I'm curious, what would you spec and buy for Saia that would make you guys happy?
Ha, that's a good one... we are company drivers, we are never going to be happy

Ha, that's a good one... we are company drivers, we are never going to be happy
As long as I had AC in the summer... and heat in the winter I was pretty much good to go. Although I still like to bitch to my co-workers about petty ::shit:: because that’s just what truck drivers do. I have my reputation fellas!

Single axle with a high 5th wheel deck. It seems to me, that the older and now mostly retired single axle Volvos, had a higher 5th wheel, which resulted, in very few times, that I had to crank down a trailer, in order to hook it. That would be high on my list.

Single axle with a high 5th wheel deck. It seems to me, that the older and now mostly retired single axle Volvos, had a higher 5th wheel, which resulted, in very few times, that I had to crank down a trailer, in order to hook it. That would be high on my list.
Some of the newer freightliners have a higher 5th wheel, at least 1.5 - 2 inches higher than the earlier one

When Saia bought a whole bunch on new internationals (700 units in 2013 or so)...at one point over half of them were in the shop with motor issues. That came straight from the top. Can’t haul freight if the truck is in the shop

Great now the new driver out of school can drop it 6 inches too high instead of the normal 3

When Saia bought a whole bunch on new internationals (700 units in 2013 or so)...at one point over half of them were in the shop with motor issues. That came straight from the top. Can’t haul freight if the truck is in the shop

Because of engine failure, International is a bad truck?
What I'm saying, all truck mfgs from time to time make a bad model, but most companies spec their own trucks.
Sometime, they make bad choices.
In my 35 yrs, we never had assigned trucks, so I got to drive them all, good or bad.
The B61 Mack was one of my all time favorites, because of length laws, Mack placed the engine in on a 15degree slant, put 2 cylinders in the cab, added a concave cab, called it a B67.
If you were more then 130lbs, it was a miserable truck.
The West Coast KWs, had an excellent heater, the ones purchased on this side froze you.
A flatback tilt cab IHC froze you and always had exhaust leaks.
Dodge engineers should be indicted for building what was called a truck.
The W model Ford had probably the worse front end of any truck, was it Ryder's specs?
The Louisville drove fine.
So quit your bellyaching and start rolling those recaps.

Great now the new driver out of school can drop it 6 inches too high instead of the normal 3
There is 2 foot long 4x4 board laying next to our docks, that I put there because most of the time the trailer is 2 or 3 inches to high and the crank handle is hung up under side skirt , because I drive freightliner most nights. :duh:

Because of engine failure, International is a bad truck?
What I'm saying, all truck mfgs from time to time make a bad model, but most companies spec their own trucks.
Sometime, they make bad choices.
In my 35 yrs, we never had assigned trucks, so I got to drive them all, good or bad.
The B61 Mack was one of my all time favorites, because of length laws, Mack placed the engine in on a 15degree slant, put 2 cylinders in the cab, added a concave cab, called it a B67.
If you were more then 130lbs, it was a miserable truck.
The West Coast KWs, had an excellent heater, the ones purchased on this side froze you.
A flatback tilt cab IHC froze you and always had exhaust leaks.
Dodge engineers should be indicted for building what was called a truck.
The W model Ford had probably the worse front end of any truck, was it Ryder's specs?
The Louisville drove fine.
So quit your bellyaching and start rolling those recaps.
The first truck I drove and learned to drive was a duplex B-67.I used candles to defrost the windshield.The heater sucked and you froze your ass off, in the winter and sweat your ass off in summer .The truck never broke down.

The first truck I drove and learned to drive was a duplex B-67.I used candles to defrost the windshield.The heater sucked and you froze your ass off, in the winter and sweat your ass off in summer .The truck never broke down.

And if you weigh 230, all my shirts had steering wheel rubs on my belly.

And if you weigh 230, all my shirts had steering wheel rubs on my belly.
Ahh!!!! The white line across the t-shirt.I was a skinny kid back then.No white lines on my shirts.My mother still did my laundry.I remember one night going up 2nd ave in Manhattan and I hit a pot hole while splitting and nearly ripped my arm out of its socket.Back then the pot holes could swallow a Volkswagen.

There is 2 foot long 4x4 board laying next to our docks, that I put there because most of the time the trailer is 2 or 3 inches to high and the crank handle is hung up under side skirt , because I drive freightliner most nights. :duh:
Boy i hate when that handle is hung up under the side skirt. If u at a dark barn and no yard truck u are screwed.

Long time lurker new member here, yes it's so, saw a dozen at a terminal that I had a via to, LT models, Cummins badges , look like a longer hood than the Maxxforce ones, 210000 numbered units.

sounds like we need new blood in the purchasing department.
Please tell me we didn't buy new Internationals

we bought new international's :ranting2:.

as long as there are other choices in the yard, I wont drive it. I'll drive the oldest junk we have before I sit in that uncomfortable pos.

its a back breaker with no legroom