SAIA | Scale House stories

Brother Trucker

TB Regular
Credits
Anybody have any good scale house stories?

Heard one the other day about the scale house in Lamar CO that gave a driver an overweight ticket for being over on one axle and then wouldn't let the driver leave the scale house until it was either fixed or a tandem axle tractor came in from DEN which would be much much later that day.

Turns out the driver had to threaten to call the U.S. Marshals service to deal with the scale master if our driver wasn't released to go back to the motel just a mile away to await the replacement tractor.

Any other stories or tips for us rookie road drivers?

As I understood how the story was told, the scale house boss had a tendency to keep his underwear on way too tight no matter who was there.

If memory serves correctly, the boss didn't want the trailers left where the driver was going to have to drop them because of other trucks he had pulled over for various infractions, real or imagined. Being a set of pups it was gonna be rather difficult to back the set into a free and clear position.

One would think the guy was getting paid by commission only instead of hourly or salaried.

There used to be a hand written sign on the I-70 E scalehouse outside of Kansas City that said"All trucks must go over scales,not around scalehouse.This means you JB Hunt."I asked about it one time when I was pulled in there,the DOT cop laughed and told me they had a JB truck come up the ramp and try to drive around instead of going over the scale.They went out and stopped him,asked him what he was doing.He told them he was overweight,and called his boss to ask what he should do,and they told him to go around the scale.I don't think that is what they had in mind!:hide:

A little scale house story from years ago. The names shall remain anonymous...

Mississippi in the '70's had the old "slide weight" scales that they used all over the state. A driver going west on US 78 to Memphis was stopped on the scale at Fulton, MS. The scale man asked him if he was going to Memphis. The driver said yes. The scale man then came outside with a scale ticket and handed it to the driver. He told the driver "when you get to the scale at Olive Branch, give this ticket to the scale man there so he can weigh you there and check to make sure that our scales are close in calibration. The driver said OK. The driver failed to tell the man at Fulton that he was via'ing Tupelo to make a 10,000 lb. kick-off...
When the driver finally made it to Olive Branch, he stopped on the scale, went inside and gave the paper to the scale man there and told him that he'd been instructed by the man at Fulton to give him the scale ticket for calibration. The Olive Branch scale man looked at the ticket and the weight showing on his scale, scratched his head & said, "man, something's bad wrong here, I'm gonna have to shut it down. This thing is over 10,000 lbs. off"... As the driver was leaving, he seen the scale man outside flipping the closed sign on the scale house...

A little scale house story from years ago. The names shall remain anonymous...

Mississippi in the '70's had the old "slide weight" scales that they used all over the state. A driver going west on US 78 to Memphis was stopped on the scale at Fulton, MS. The scale man asked him if he was going to Memphis. The driver said yes. The scale man then came outside with a scale ticket and handed it to the driver. He told the driver "when you get to the scale at Olive Branch, give this ticket to the scale man there so he can weigh you there and check to make sure that our scales are close in calibration. The driver said OK. The driver failed to tell the man at Fulton that he was via'ing Tupelo to make a 10,000 lb. kick-off...
When the driver finally made it to Olive Branch, he stopped on the scale, went inside and gave the paper to the scale man there and told him that he'd been instructed by the man at Fulton to give him the scale ticket for calibration. The Olive Branch scale man looked at the ticket and the weight showing on his scale, scratched his head & said, "man, something's bad wrong here, I'm gonna have to shut it down. This thing is over 10,000 lbs. off"... As the driver was leaving, he seen the scale man outside flipping the closed sign on the scale house...
Now that is funny!
I go thru those scales on a daily bases. The scale house in Fulton, Ms use to be on the two lane road before they finished the Four lane.
The old scale house is now a restaurant.
Since i recently moved to the area i believe this is the same weigh station.

A few years ago my company did a trade show in Hot Springs, Ar and the whole time i had one of the sales girls from my company hitting on me.At the end of the show we were packing up heading home and this Women pinched me on the butt and said "I'am driving with you" I told her i was married and before i could finished she said "thats what they all say" and then she turned to get her bags and i jumped in the truck and took off.I did not even start my log book and i got to West Memphis, Ar and was pulled in for an inspection.I told him i did not have a log book and he shut me down for 12 hours but, allowed me to go to the hotel.I was ok with all of this.

Well i got to the hotel and heard alot of loud noise from the next room so, i knocked on the door and low and behold it was the sales girl from my company that was all hands.
Her first words were "why did you leave so fast"? and at that time she put her arms on my waist and i quickly put her in a light wrist lock and told her not to touch me again! At that time the other sales associates were coming up the stairs and i heard one of them say "There having a lovers spat" i quicly ran after the group and said there is no lovers spat she just needs to keep her hands to herself.

This Women is a former runner up to the Ms. Mississippi beauty pagent.So, she has a i can have anyone mentallity.On top of that i live in a small town and rumors spread real fast.
If you guys knew my wife you would understand.I have no doubt my Wife would have tried doing massive bodily harm to me if she thought i was messing around.

While running team years ago, I would take the exit ramp just before the scale house at West Memphis. It was only yards away from the scale house. There was even a dirt path worn in the field where the "cops" would chase down trucks that were trying to get around the scale. Each time they stopped me, I would point to the Ryder sign on the truck and tell him I was going to the ryder shop to fuel up and he would wave me on. This happened several times during a two month period. One day my co-driver was driving thru and did the same thing. They stopped him, asked where he was going, he told them to the Ryder shop to fuel up. The officer asked he "Where is the Ryder shop at?". Neil studdered "I'm not sure but it's here somewhere." Needless to say he got a healthy ticket for ducking the scales. :hysterical:

Scales

In 92 I got insp. at a weigh station in Fredricksburg, MA. When I pulled around to the back and stopped , the inspector opened my door and pulled my seat belt down. I thought this was strange. Later after he couldn't find anything wrong, he said he was giving me a warning for not wearing a seat belt. I told him I was, and how could he tell I wasn't? He said when he pulled it down to feel it , it wasn't warm. :hysterical: