Second Day at Work

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Okay so here was my first real day at work. I got up at 3:00am left the house at 4:00am clocked in at work at 4:45am.
Waited 15 minutes for the driver I was supposed to meet. They switched me to another guy and he was very nice. We were in what is called a bulk truck so we had a 28' pup trailer with a lift gate.

Any how really the day was fine. We had 804 cases or something like that we were packed pretty heavy. Any how we got done in like 8 hours actually a tad before that with all of our stops because some of that time was us empty just driving back to the warehouse.

One of the pallets that the warehouse made was so tall that it was taller then both of us ha-ha. It didn't even fit through the customers door. We were able to roll the pallets off of the truck and then break them down and then wheel everything where it needed to go. We stopped mostly at convenience stores, however we did have a few restaurants. We made 14 stops and like 5-6 of them were pretty close by. Some heavier then others.

I was running really the minute the driver pulled the air break I would climb out of the cab run to the back of the trailer and get the lift gate going, he would climb in pull out the pallet and I would grab the wheelers. Then I would start taking the shrink wrap off and we would start stacking and wheeling stuff into the building. The one gas station we went to had like 2 pallets and we got it all wheeled in pretty quick and he said to me go get the trailer all secured and I'll get payment, so I did all that he came back to the truck climbed up into the cab and said "Good team work" and we bumped fists.

Then he would collect payment from the customer or having them sign off and I would go and put the wheelers away stack the pallets in the trailer raise and secure the lift gate and hop back into the cab and wait for the driver to come out of the store and we would roll on to our next stop.

Everything went pretty smooth and he said to me "You keep this, up you'll be a driver in no time." I dropped one case of beer in cans off of the dolly it really did not fall very far and was really a non issue. The driver said to me "For someones first day you did not even break any thing, that's not typical for someones first day."

I'll have to get used to it a little, bit, but I just have to keep working really hard. By the end of the day I'm like ahh I'm getting a little tired, but by that time we were on the absolute last stop and it wasn't a big one pretty small we had it knocked out in 10-15 minutes.

Any how we got to talk to a Budweiser driver who runs the same route. He was pretty busy, pulling a side loader trailer, however he was making good time to though and told us he was getting done pretty quickly.

The two learning curves, that I have are, stacking the cases of beer on the dolly, it's not impossible and I pretty much get it, but there is a certain way to do it and also just keeping the same products together like if you have 11 cases of one kind of beer put those all on the two wheeler and wheel it in that makes it easier for the store to check it in. The other learning curve is everyday I am with someone different and every guy does it a different way so that's still what gets me a little and I guess is why my nerves are not calmer yet, but will get there.

Once I'm out on my own, and have a regular route that's when things fall into place. However, as long as I work hard be nice get along and if I have to ask, what do you want me to do or what is the best way to handle this. Then there is nothing any one can say. I'm here to help tell me what you need help on.

The driver told me right now the company is short drivers a tad and because of that, he said you probably won't be on the extra board all that long, once you make it up to driver.

Hi Mike, I'm Ted

One of the pallets that the warehouse made was so tall that it was taller then both of us ha-ha. It didn't even fit through the customers door.

Most of my pallets are taller than me, I'm 6'2". Some of our drivers are not so tall and they have to use a stick to get the top cases off. Our loaders have a trick where they drop the pallet to the floor and just push it on the trailer, so I've had many pallets that they've put on but I couldn't roll off, especially when the receiving dock wasn't level with the trailer.

the guy who I rode with today was nice he bought me a pop

Tomorrow you hold out for an entire lunch.

Hi Mike, I'm Ted

Most of my pallets are taller than me, I'm 6'2". Some of our drivers are not so tall and they have to use a stick to get the top cases off. Our loaders have a trick where they drop the pallet to the floor and just push it on the trailer, so I've had many pallets that they've put on but I couldn't roll off, especially when the receiving dock wasn't level with the trailer.

You tall guys kill me. Count me in the "not so tall" category. I spend 1/2 the day standing on stuff or using a load lock to knock the top layers down. Course, being shorter comes in handy when I have to crawl in the 2ft space between the top of a freezer pallet and the ceiling to do a handstand on the ice cream box in the corner.

Tomorrow you hold out for an entire lunch.
No kidding. Assuming we have time to actually stop I at least offer to buy lunch on the rare occasion someone's training with me.

Then he would collect payment from the customer or having them sign off and I would go and put the wheelers away stack the pallets in the trailer raise and secure the lift gate and hop back into the cab and wait for the driver to come out of the store and we would roll on to our next stop.
Keep doing this. Tying up the loose ends and getting the truck ready to go is one of the best ways I can think of for a new hire to set himself apart as someone who isn't afraid to work.

No kidding. Assuming we have time to actually stop I at least offer to buy lunch on the rare occasion someone's training with me.
Don't the customers give you free lunches? There shouldn't be any need to buy lunch when you have a retail route.

Don't the customers give you free lunches? There shouldn't be any need to buy lunch when you have a retail route.

Today I got a doughnut and a 20 ounce Lemonade. I put the doughnut in the fridge for later. I actually got to drive the beer truck around today I drove it all afternoon. It's fine it's a little medium duty Freightliner Business Class truck and we had a 14 bay trailer so like I guess a 28 footer. It would be equivalent to a pup trailer. It was alright. Today we did the real heavy stops in the morning and the lighter stops in the afternoon our last 3 stops were all right on top of each other. The last two stops of the day we just kept the truck parked and wheeled the two wheelers across the street. We started a tad late, but got done around 1:30ish so not to bad I was home by 3:00pm.

Some. Mostly a couple of places I've been going to forever that REALLY like me. Used to be more, but with the way we're paid and the cs/hr they've held us to over the past couple of years I don't have the time to BS around like I used to and build relationships. Especially the smaller and medium sized stops, it's in/out/thank you/bye to keep the avg up.

GT wants his local run back for the meals.

GT wants his local run back for the meals.

Honestly, I didn't get fed that much, I actually turned down alot, if I'm not ready to eat no since in taking the food, I have weird eating habits anyhow, plus in the hot weather, I never want to eat while working, even on shuttle, we do alot of drops and hooks so fat boy sweats!!

Honestly, I didn't get fed that much, I actually turned down alot, if I'm not ready to eat no since in taking the food, I have weird eating habits anyhow, plus in the hot weather, I never want to eat while working, even on shuttle, we do alot of drops and hooks so fat boy sweats!!

You know I'm the same way, I only have like a glass of milk for breakfast and then some grapes or something and that's usually it till diner. Of course when diner time comes around I'm pretty hungry, but when I'm out working I don't like to be real full and sluggish. Especially in our line of work. It's very physical, we pretty much start with pedal to the metal and keep going non stop until were done.

When I first started a supervisor told me that if I turned down food, they'll quit offering it, so don't turn it down ever I guess. While training, a lot of customers fed us, but then when I got on my own, it stopped, I guess I don't look hungry.

I bring a lunchbox, because I may drink a gallon of water or more in the summer. I've experimented with lots of stuff for lunch, stuff I can eat while driving, I think I've settled on mixed nuts, beef jerky, carrot and celery sticks.

Yesterday a customer tried to give me a roast beef sandwich and I had to refuse because I quit eating wheat, it turns out that she didn't eat wheat either, so we had a nice conversation about the why's and what nots. Funny though, I quit eating wheat and I don't really get hungry anymore.

Where I come from they get pretty mad and insulted if one turns down their offerings. In the day, though, I burnt it all off.