Yellow | "Security Cameras" used to dicipline........

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
When 671 installed the security cameras they said it was for protection of the freight and the premises against dangers from outside. Now they want to watch everthing the workers do...........and fire them for what they consider being wrong!! The NMFA reads.."The Employer may not use video cameras to discipline or discharge an employee for reasons other than theft of property or dishonesty". Seems that all they have to do to get over this rule is to call you a liar. :horse: DS.

Dock Steward, You know you're honest, I know I am too. The only ones that have to worry about this are the ones that aren't and I don't think that is very many, if any at all... I trust the hard working Teamsters and I know they have families to support. Let the company do as they please---they will see they have very hard workers employed at their facility!

That being said Echano, like docksteward said its in the contract they can't use it for discilpline other than theft.
I doubt if we want to open that can of worms and leave it as it is.

Docksteward said:
When 671 installed the security cameras they said it was for protection of the freight and the premises against dangers from outside. Now they want to watch everthing the workers do...........and fire them for what they consider being wrong!! The NMFA reads.."The Employer may not use video cameras to discipline or discharge an employee for reasons other than theft of property or dishonesty". Seems that all they have to do to get over this rule is to call you a liar. :horse: DS.

how about an example of what they might be considering?

CF did that with cameras when they were in operation.They had them installed in bathrooms catching guys taking too long to pee. If I remember it was in california someplace.Your right it is contractual.make them remove them..

i always thought, and still do, to a degree, that the camera issue in our trm. was a joke ! i've been here 4 years and we've been robbed 4 times on the weekends. and as far as them trying to discipline guys using the camera system, that's a complete joke :hysterical: the old TM had an issue with me leaving the yard too late and accused me of stealing time. i told him to go ahead and prove it. he continued on talking sh*t and i told him "why don't you just check the tape" ? of course he did not answer me so i said to him "you can't check anything cause them cameras aint working". i told him to save his breath and spare me the b.s. and this was the look he gave me :ranting2:

Dirtball said:
CF did that with cameras when they were in operation.They had them installed in bathrooms catching guys taking too long to pee. If I remember it was in california someplace.Your right it is contractual.make them remove them..
As I remember, they tried to sue CF but it was thrown out to to the fact it fell under the labor agreement. They had to get rid of the cameras. That was in 98 or 99.

Dirtball said:

you guys should have brought them up on sexual harassment charges as for one thing is for sure , the bathrooms are the one place they cannot put cameras
they don't call me big steve for nuthin:baby: :poster_oops: :shock: :tongue1:

Your BA should know about the laws concerning this........
---------
Technological advances, such as video cameras, GPS vehicle monitoring systems, and even drug testing have provided employers with superior tools for investigating and gathering evidence of employee misconduct in the workplace. Various federal and state laws, however, limit the extent to which employers may use such technology.

In particular, the National Labor Relations Act limits the rights of unionized employers to investigate employee misconduct. For example, in a recent case involving Anheuser-Busch, the Company suspected employee misconduct in an elevator motor room and on the roof of its facility. Anheuser-Busch installed hidden video cameras without notifying the union representing its employees. When the cameras revealed that employees were smoking marijuana, urinating in the facility, and away from work at working times, the company discharged five employees and suspended another eleven.

Defending its members, the union requested information about the use of the cameras and the company’s investigation, but Anheuser-Busch refused. The union complained to the National Labor Relations Board which found that Anheuser-Busch violated the law by refusing to provide the requested information and by failing to bargain with the union about the installation of the hidden cameras. The company appealed, but the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia affirmed the Board’s findings.

Although the Anheuser-Busch case is new, the law behind it isn’t. In 1997, the Board addressed this same issue in a case involving Colgate-Palmolive and reached a similar conclusion. In that case, the Board reasoned that “the use of surveillance cameras is not entrepreneurial in character, is not fundamental to the basic direction of the enterprise, [both of which would have allowed the company to implement the policy without bargaining] and impinges directly on employment security.” The Board concluded that the installation of hidden surveillance cameras in the workplace is a mandatory subject of bargaining and that an employer cannot unilaterally install them without bargaining with the union.

NLRA Unionized Workplace Investigation Fisher Phillips Employment Attorneys Labor Lawyers
--------
A federal appeals court has reinstated two lawsuits alleging a national trucking company illegally spied on its employees in the bathroom at its Mira Loma terminal.

The 10-1 decision by the U.S. 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reverses an earlier decision by a three-judge panel of the same circuit that had ruled in April 2000 that employees of Consolidated Freightways could not sue for invasion of privacy. The original lawsuits were filed four years ago.

The court sent the lawsuits back to Riverside County Superior Court for trial.

Attorney Matthew Taylor, who filed suit on behalf of 273 employees, said the decision confirmed what he had been arguing all along.

"This (bathroom spying) is criminal activity and it can't be part of the collective bargaining agreement," Taylor said. "I'm glad someone finally agreed with me."

Mike Brown, a spokesman for Consolidated Freightways, said he had not had a chance to review the decision.

Court re-instates workers' lawsuit over surveillance

big steve said:
you guys should have brought them up on sexual harassment charges as for one thing is for sure , the bathrooms are the one place they cannot put cameras
they don't call me big steve for nuthin:baby:
:roll1: :shades: :hysterical:

Dirtball said:

You're right DB. It was in Mira Loma CA and it cost CF a TON of money when they got sued over it.

What do you think???

Do you think they can and or should use the cameras for theft or dishonesty? and distruction of Company property?

Toxic said:
Do you think they can and or should use the cameras for theft or dishonesty? and distruction of Company property?

I think that they should for theft or destruction of company policy and to protect employees from workplace violence.

Docksteward said:
There is a critical case going to the bi state about a employee on the camera standing around and was fired for it. What ever the outcome of this case will be critical on the issue of cameras used to fire someone

Hey toxic........the guy is comming back to work on Tuesday!! Looks like the "evidence" they had wouldn't stand up at the bi state or they just wanted to send a message.:confused: In my opinion it was all a setup. If you make something look bad others that don't understand will say it is bad. DS.

Really??? I was told Wed night by JR that they would not even hear it at the local level and it was gone to the bi state???? Was I informed wrong?

Toxic said:
Really??? I was told Wed night by JR that they would not even hear it at the local level and it was gone to the bi state???? Was I informed wrong?
Well sort of. We had a special meeting where we saw the film.....no biggie. It was a setup with a newly installed hidden camera pointing at one trailer. It was removed right after the meeting.:27: So we had the meeting and it was put on the bi state agenda and now thanks to the local, he's back at work. They also got a switcher back that had been out for several weeks!! I love it when a plan comes together!!! DS.

Dirtball said:
Thats plain illegal