ODFL | Self Driving

Wouldn't the big cost cost be insurance? Until it's proven to be 99% accident proof the lawyers will make auto trucks very expensive to insure. I can see the ad now... In a wreck? Need a check? Were you the victim of a computer virus driving a big truck? ... Call 555- AUTO

I'm 36, I hope to God you're right...

Wouldn't the big cost cost be insurance? Until it's proven to be 99% accident proof the lawyers will make auto trucks very expensive to insure. I can see the ad now... In a wreck? Need a check? Were you the victim of a computer virus driving a big truck? ... Call 555- AUTO

Large trucking companies are self-insured. Considering that only large companies can benefit from, and afford, self-driving trucks, insurance premiums are not an issue.

Unless u pull flatbed or tankers or maybe private fleets hauling there own product like Tyson foods. Some companies might not can afford these automation trucks got 2 be very expensive.

And another thing, a bunch of autonomus trucks going down the road hauling hazmat loads, dont u think terrorists people that we know is out there will be licking there chops

It's definitely coming. Start preparing now - you still have time to retool and gain skills.
Especially if you're a linehaul driver. OD will love bragging about their autonomous fleet of line trucks. Company is so cold that it probably won't even offer line drivers city jobs.

But why retrain? They'll figure a way to replace that also.