Yellow | SENATORS ARE RESPONDING......................

Now wait till you read this: A cover up response or a real lowdown of what is in the bill. You make up your own mind, This is way too long of a statement to post on here. Google Education and the workforce committee. under protecting retirements. By Josh Gotbaum Dated 12-23-2014. Man this will hit the ORPHANS
right between the eyes, for a knock out blow. This so called new Chairman of the workforce committee, makes it out to be that, ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?
That Kline and Miller are real American Hero's. The three together, have no idea of what they have done to the American worker. Folks this is a must read!!!!!!!!!
I read that under the section of partition it talks about orphans. Now the way i read it is the pbgc will take over "LESS GENEROUS PAYING PLANS" by receiving higher premiums from employers. Pbgc pays a little over 1000 per month so the way i read it they would only take over orphans that are receiving just a little more than that. So if say your receiving 3000/month you'll be subject to a cut but not pbgc take over of your pension.

Reactions: ESP
To all of my brothers and sisters out there:.................., Just because you have seen a letter on here from your Senator, that you did not write to. Does not mean you do not need to write or email one yourself. Safety is in the numbers, Millions Please, Make this # 1 priority. This is your money, your pension. YES some fixing is needed, but to bury the ORPHANS, to save the UPS people, This looks like corruption to me, just my opinion. I know that is not how anybody else sees it. SO, WRITE THOSE LETTERS! SEND THOSE EMAILS!!!! HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS and A HAPPY NEW YEAR. All I want is a Senator to ask for and get a floor to address this as a stand alone bill. You have to decide if it is worth it or not.

Reply from local reporter now if it goes any further we will see

Hello,

Thanks for contacting me, and also for reading my columns. I will be on vacation through Dec. 22.

This message is to let you know I received your email and it didn't get lost in cyberspace or my Junk Folder.
If you are sharing feedback to one of my columns, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. If you are offering a column idea, I will reply soon with more questions.

Have you listened to my weekly radio show, "Casual Fridays" on WLPR, 89.1-FM? Archived shows can be found here: http://lakeshorepublicmedia.org/local-programs/casual-fridays/.

You can also find my work on Twitter at @jdavich, Linked-In, and Facebook (are we "friends" yet?), and check out my book, "Connections: Everyone Happens for a Reason," at www.connectionsbook.com.

Take care,
Jerry

Jerry Davich

I read that under the section of partition it talks about orphans. Now the way i read it is the pbgc will take over "LESS GENEROUS PAYING PLANS" by receiving higher premiums from employers. Pbgc pays a little over 1000 per month so the way i read it they would only take over orphans that are receiving just a little more than that. So if say your receiving 3000/month you'll be subject to a cut but not pbgc take over of your pension.
First off, let me say Thank you for going to the site and reading it. It shows you are interested in saving your retirement as well as pointing out of the ORPHANS issue. That is why I gave you a LIKE. I do not like pbgc, taking me at all. You are right they want to take in only the ORPHANS. If that is the case they would have to take all ORPHANS in my opinion. The reading is really hard to understand, I will go over it again. The Central States would like to get rid of all ORPHANS, as they have stated in the past. ( I believe Zollars was the first to bring this up.) I am troubled with the wording, Lets say I am making 2500 per month, they take me in, now I make a 1070 per month. I still take a 1400 dollars per month, as is pointed out in the bill, 2500 times 60% equals 1500 dollars cut leaving me with 1000 dollars, allowing for the 110% promise of that fund leaves me with 1100, still a 1400 cut. Lets be honest I do not have a crystal ball and we have to wait for the real figures to come out. I really thank you for being interested. Merry Christmas to you and your Family. Lets hope it is a Happy new year also. God Bless.

First off, let me say Thank you for going to the site and reading it. It shows you are interested in saving your retirement as well as pointing out of the ORPHANS issue. That is why I gave you a LIKE. I do not like pbgc, taking me at all. You are right they want to take in only the ORPHANS. If that is the case they would have to take all ORPHANS in my opinion. The reading is really hard to understand, I will go over it again. The Central States would like to get rid of all ORPHANS, as they have stated in the past. ( I believe Zollars was the first to bring this up.) I am troubled with the wording, Lets say I am making 2500 per month, they take me in, now I make a 1070 per month. I still take a 1400 dollars per month, as is pointed out in the bill, 2500 times 60% equals 1500 dollars cut leaving me with 1000 dollars, allowing for the 110% promise of that fund leaves me with 1100, still a 1400 cut. Lets be honest I do not have a crystal ball and we have to wait for the real figures to come out. I really thank you for being interested. Merry Christmas to you and your Family. Lets hope it is a Happy new year also. God Bless.
Merry xmas to you and your family as well. Like you said its probably going to be a pretty good while before we no how all this plays out. The way i read it i dont believe they will subject people to a 60% cut thats really extreme. I know there are a lot of people drawing 1500/month or less and i believe theres a good chance they'll get swept into the pbgc. I think thats what they have in mind. Remember the members are going to have to vote on it and yes we can be overrode but i dont think they would want to draw that much heat. I'm hopefull the cuts wont be as bad as we fear.

Throw a big % cut out there and then back off to a more reasonable figure and everybody is happy? What I'm bumming about is I took a monthly hit for 5 years now so wife would get a survivor benefit , money I'm sure is lost forever. Once she finds out the figure is 60% less of what I told her I'm in deep DoDo. :emoticon digging:

My Senators, Coats (R) and Donnelly (D) voted yes. I contacted their offices several times prior to the vote. No written response as yet. My Representative Visklosky (D) who I contacted as well voted no. I have received a written response from him, thanking me for my interest.

How could Coats possibly explain this away . . . "Sorry but I am obligated to carry water for the one-percent." ?

Like alot of you I have been closely following the multiemployer pension issue for a long time. I AM myself, like the term or not a "Orphan". I retired 8 years ago after 28 years of service from a company that folded 2 years after I left. My pension was paid in at the full rate. My present pension is $2814.00. This bill will cut it to $1100.00. Here's how it works. The MAXIMUM PBGC insured rate is $429.00 for each year of service to a maximum of $12870.00 for 30 years. So......429.00 X my 28 years equals $12012.00. Now since the bill gives be 10 percent more, multiplying that by 1.10 gives me $13213.00 per year.
If you are an Orphan plan on the maximum cut. The bill requires those like me who's employer did not pay the withdrawal fee have their pension cut to the fullest amount allowed (see pg 81 of the bill). One reason the bill was written this way was to avoid a partition. We are still in CSPF and the PBGC will not have to pick us up. Two funds that were partitioned over the last few years were the Chicago Truck Drivers Pension and a pension I believe in Maryland made up largely of Hostess employees. You can read about them on the PBGC site.

Like alot of you I have been closely following the multiemployer pension issue for a long time. I AM myself, like the term or not a "Orphan". I retired 8 years ago after 28 years of service from a company that folded 2 years after I left. My pension was paid in at the full rate. My present pension is $2814.00. This bill will cut it to $1100.00. Here's how it works. The MAXIMUM PBGC insured rate is $429.00 for each year of service to a maximum of $12870.00 for 30 years. So......429.00 X my 28 years equals $12012.00. Now since the bill gives be 10 percent more, multiplying that by 1.10 gives me $13213.00 per year.
If you are an Orphan plan on the maximum cut. The bill requires those like me who's employer did not pay the withdrawal fee have their pension cut to the fullest amount allowed (see pg 81 of the bill). One reason the bill was written this way was to avoid a partition. We are still in CSPF and the PBGC will not have to pick us up. Two funds that were partitioned over the last few years were the Chicago Truck Drivers Pension and a pension I believe in Maryland made up largely of Hostess employees. You can read about them on the PBGC site.
You read it exactly the way I read it, However we are not any different then, others who worked 30 years to get out, we were funded, Period, This is discrimination. Period. I will be waiting to see what happens and then call for a 10 million retirees, march on Washington, to get all under funded plans to take the cut including the government retirees. ( yea right, I will let you know how that works for me). OPPS! this is Christmas.

You read it exactly the way I read it, However we are not any different then, others who worked 30 years to get out, we were funded, Period, This is discrimination. Period. I will be waiting to see what happens and then call for a 10 million retirees, march on Washington, to get all under funded plans to take the cut including the government retirees. ( yea right, I will let you know how that works for me). OPPS! this is Christmas.
Hi ESP I read your profile. 414 brings back some memories, Walt Lytle, Duff and OK. I'm north of you in the "mitten".
I guess the part of this bill I find most disturbing is how UPS with all it's profit money and lobbyists was able to effectively extricate itself from the contractual obligation which would have forced them to make up any pension reductions for their employees. Their employees are now third in line for any cuts. The lions share will be paid first by the "orphans" and then the actives and those who's employers are still operating or who have paid their withdrawal fee.
Guess it just boils down to money and politics. Whoever has the most money wins.

Throw a big % cut out there and then back off to a more reasonable figure and everybody is happy? What I'm bumming about is I took a monthly hit for 5 years now so wife would get a survivor benefit , money I'm sure is lost forever. Once she finds out the figure is 60% less of what I told her I'm in deep DoDo. :emoticon digging:
Wolf, this scam of a bill and the way it was done, is full of surprises. There is no equality in it anywhere. What really hurts is, it is left up to the direction of the trustee, who has been calling for cuts, but is exempt himself. God bless you, when the wife finds out.

Hi ESP I read your profile. 414 brings back some memories, Walt Lytle, Duff and OK. I'm north of you in the "mitten".
I guess the part of this bill I find most disturbing is how UPS with all it's profit money and lobbyists was able to effectively extricate itself from the contractual obligation which would have forced them to make up any pension reductions for their employees. Their employees are now third in line for any cuts. The lions share will be paid first by the "orphans" and then the actives and those who's employers are still operating or who have paid their withdrawal fee.
Guess it just boils down to money and politics. Whoever has the most money wins.
COOPER, I am going to send you a private message. I hope you are going to join the fight, sending letters to the president and senators as you can. You can feel free to copy Senator Browns reply to me and attach it to your email or letter. Thanks for being a great American. The UPS deal is flat out corruption in my opinion.

My Honorable Senator Sherrod Brown, read the bill HR 83, and the amendment concerning ERISA, changes and pension cuts. He said as you will see in his reply to me that the bill is flawed and only will help PBGC to survive for two extra years. He will continue to fight for all pensions.

Also note: Other senators now know they made a mistake so read Hemorrhoid's Letter from his Senator as well which I will find and post here next.

Sherrod Brown <[email protected]>
5:21 PM (16 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr. and Mrs. LAMMERS:
Thank you for getting in touch with me about pension plan benefits.
Pensions are critical to helping our nation’s retirees support themselves after they leave the workforce. Workers spend their entire career earning their pensions, and for many Americans, defined benefit pensions combine with Social Security to form the foundation of worker’s retirement security. It is essential that retirees receive the benefits they earned and have been promised.
In December 2014, Congress passed and President Obama signed legislation funding government programs through September 30, 2015. The bill included legislation restructuring our nation’s multiemployer pensions system. Specifically, the bill amends the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) giving trustees the ability to petition the Treasury Department for the right to reduce retiree benefits in order to save troubled pension plans. As a result, nearly 1.5 million current and future retirees could see their pension benefits cut. The legislation also doubled the premiums employers must pay into the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC), the government sponsored entity that insures defined benefit pension plans. The combination of these premium increases and potential cuts, however, have been estimated to improve the long-term solvency of the PBGC by only two years.
Please know that I will continue to fight to ensure that current and future retirees receive the benefits they have earned. This issue is extremely important to me, and I appreciate any additional input you may have. Thank you again for being in touch with me.
Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

Thank you for contacting me about the Fiscal Year 2015 omnibus appropriations bill to fund the federal government. I appreciate hearing from you.
The House of Representatives approved the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2015 (H.R.83) on December 11, 2014, by a vote of 219-206. Following House passage, the Senate approved the bill on December 13, 2014, by a vote of 56-40, sending it to President Obama for his signature. This legislation funds all agencies of the federal government through September 30, 2015 with the exception of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which the legislation funds only through February 27, 2015.
I understand your concerns regarding possible changes to multi-employer pension plans. Recent reports show that the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) could be bankrupt as soon as 2022. Not only do these changes included in H.R.83 avoid the PBGC's immediate bankruptcy, but any cuts to current pension plans can only be made after all other actions fail to achieve solvency.
The American people deserve a Congress that returns the federal government to working order and I look forward to the opportunity to tackle real issues – such as PBGC reform – in the next Congress when both chambers are controlled by Republican majorities. I look forward to joining my colleagues in focusing debate in the Senate on measures that will grow the economy, rein in federal spending and address the national debt.
I value knowing your views on this issue. Thank you again for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to do so again in the future on other matters of importance to you.

Sincerely,
SenCoatsInformalSig.PNG

Dan Coats
United States Senator

Thank you H., for staying involved in this issue. I invite all who get replies to post them here, as I am making hard copies of all of them to use in the future. Showing all in favor and not in favor. So keep them coming. I just got a call from the newspaper today in Lima, Ohio. They wanted to have a long chat with me about this issue and they are going to print it in the letters to editor section in a few days. What I needed printed in the paper will tell everyone, to get ready now for the cuts. Also to let the city and state to know that cutting pensions for alternative reasons, will affects sales tax and city income and loss to business. There are thousands of retirees out there who do not even know this has been passed. MY favorite expression" Plan for the worse and hope for the best". But if you do not keep up on things then how do you know if someone does not tell you. Senator Dan Coats in a Great American and so is Hemorrhoid. ( WOW! after reading the last 11 words I had to smile). :hilarious: They are great Americans, the last name just made me giggle.

Reply from local reporter now if it goes any further we will see

Hello,

Thanks for contacting me, and also for reading my columns. I will be on vacation through Dec. 22.

This message is to let you know I received your email and it didn't get lost in cyberspace or my Junk Folder.
If you are sharing feedback to one of my columns, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. If you are offering a column idea, I will reply soon with more questions.

Have you listened to my weekly radio show, "Casual Fridays" on WLPR, 89.1-FM? Archived shows can be found here: http://lakeshorepublicmedia.org/local-programs/casual-fridays/.

You can also find my work on Twitter at @jdavich, Linked-In, and Facebook (are we "friends" yet?), and check out my book, "Connections: Everyone Happens for a Reason," at www.connectionsbook.com.

Take care,
Jerry

Jerry Davich
I read his colume in the Post Tribune

Thank you for contacting me about the Fiscal Year 2015 omnibus appropriations bill to fund the federal government. I appreciate hearing from you.
The House of Representatives approved the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2015 (H.R.83) on December 11, 2014, by a vote of 219-206. Following House passage, the Senate approved the bill on December 13, 2014, by a vote of 56-40, sending it to President Obama for his signature. This legislation funds all agencies of the federal government through September 30, 2015 with the exception of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which the legislation funds only through February 27, 2015.
I understand your concerns regarding possible changes to multi-employer pension plans. Recent reports show that the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) could be bankrupt as soon as 2022. Not only do these changes included in H.R.83 avoid the PBGC's immediate bankruptcy, but any cuts to current pension plans can only be made after all other actions fail to achieve solvency.
The American people deserve a Congress that returns the federal government to working order and I look forward to the opportunity to tackle real issues – such as PBGC reform – in the next Congress when both chambers are controlled by Republican majorities. I look forward to joining my colleagues in focusing debate in the Senate on measures that will grow the economy, rein in federal spending and address the national debt.
I value knowing your views on this issue. Thank you again for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to do so again in the future on other matters of importance to you.

Sincerely,
SenCoatsInformalSig.PNG

Dan Coats
United States Senator
I just took the time to look up and see how Republican Senator Dan Coats from Indiana voted on the Omnibus bill, Coats voted YEA! I can only hope he will do every thing he can to see we are treated fairly. I am going to send a letter to him with a attachment of Senator Brown, that tells that this bill is flawed. I hope to get a reply to this. Thanks for all you do Hemmy. ( You have a new nickname), Maybe if this bill gets to the floor in the new Senate, then maybe he will be on our side then. Anyone can find out how the Senators voted by google Omnibus spending bill house vote dec.11. All senators are listed for every state and how they voted.

I just took the time to look up and see how Republican Senator Dan Coats from Indiana voted on the Omnibus bill, Coats voted YEA! I can only hope he will do every thing he can to see we are treated fairly. I am going to send a letter to him with a attachment of Senator Brown, that tells that this bill is flawed. I hope to get a reply to this. Thanks for all you do Hemmy. ( You have a new nickname), Maybe if this bill gets to the floor in the new Senate, then maybe he will be on our side then. Anyone can find out how the Senators voted by google Omnibus spending bill house vote dec.11. All senators are listed for every state and how they voted.

Reply to Dan Coats letter

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my letter but a couple things bother me you say the pbgc COULD be bankrupt in 2022 NOT IT WILL BE also YOU or NO one else seems to want to address is what a 30% to 60% cut in a retirees pension will do to them as many are to old to get employment anywhere also retired teamsters are governed by the union as to what type of employment they may try to get also what the economic impact will be a perfect example would be the group I heard talking over breakfast last week between the 4 of them they spent about $200.00 a week at a park district golf coarse at least $120.00 a week taking there wife's out to dinner once a week that is not counting money spent in contributions to police fire and the like. Think about it $1.280.00 or more a month not being spent...This is money that is put back into the area... local businesses ect.
This is only 4 people how many other retired people are in your district that this bill will effect..
The sad thing is this bill has been bounced around for 3 to 4 years not getting much support so it was snuck into the spending bill at the last minute because it would have never passed as a stand alone bill debated for all of 7 minutes then passed.
7 MINUTES guess that is what our government thinks of retirees pretty sad...
161 pages in this bill one of the parts that really made me laugh was if your plan is one that will have to impose cuts retirees will be able to vote BUT the vote can be overturned by the treasury dept..
I would hope that you take the time to fully read all 161 pages of this bill and when you go back in 2015 make a effort to try to get rid of this bill.

Hemmy, a truly wonderful response, I thank you for getting back to Senator Coats as quickly, as you did. My hand written letter to him with Attachments, should reach him, after the first of the year. "( feet to the fire baby"). Its just me ESP

Reply to Dan Coats letter

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my letter but a couple things bother me you say the pbgc COULD be bankrupt in 2022 NOT IT WILL BE also YOU or NO one else seems to want to address is what a 30% to 60% cut in a retirees pension will do to them as many are to old to get employment anywhere also retired teamsters are governed by the union as to what type of employment they may try to get also what the economic impact will be a perfect example would be the group I heard talking over breakfast last week between the 4 of them they spent about $200.00 a week at a park district golf coarse at least $120.00 a week taking there wife's out to dinner once a week that is not counting money spent in contributions to police fire and the like. Think about it $1.280.00 or more a month not being spent...This is money that is put back into the area... local businesses ect.
This is only 4 people how many other retired people are in your district that this bill will effect..
The sad thing is this bill has been bounced around for 3 to 4 years not getting much support so it was snuck into the spending bill at the last minute because it would have never passed as a stand alone bill debated for all of 7 minutes then passed.
7 MINUTES guess that is what our government thinks of retirees pretty sad...
161 pages in this bill one of the parts that really made me laugh was if your plan is one that will have to impose cuts retirees will be able to vote BUT the vote can be overturned by the treasury dept..
I would hope that you take the time to fully read all 161 pages of this bill and when you go back in 2015 make a effort to try to get rid of this bill.
This is a perfect letter to copy and send to anyone, who may have some pull anywhere. As for that matter to the President of the United States .