Yellow | shake up at yellow in atlanta 5/7/08

Shhh....Stan, are you sure they were surveyors?

Maybe they were Pinkerton spies!!:hide:

I thought that too myself, but then suddenly remembered... They must wear a badge that says I am a Pinkerton.

I shouldn't let this bother me, but this is as hard a thread to take as I have read. Yellow has a huge terminal in Atlanta, while Roadway has three much smaller ones. 23 jobs are being transferred elsewhere, but not to Roadway or USF. What contract do you work under that allows transfers to other companies? There are 80+ drivers now, but will be expanded to 150 next week. What do you have down there, bunny rabbits that poop out drivers? It take two months to go through the hiring process out here. Yellow will handle only next-day freight, while all other freight goes elsewhere. Where is it going? Do you know that Roadway has a COO that is almost exactly like Yellow's?

I shouldn't let this bother me, but this is as hard a thread to take as I have read. Yellow has a huge terminal in Atlanta, while Roadway has three much smaller ones. 23 jobs are being transferred elsewhere, but not to Roadway or USF. What contract do you work under that allows transfers to other companies? There are 80+ drivers now, but will be expanded to 150 next week. What do you have down there, bunny rabbits that poop out drivers? It take two months to go through the hiring process out here. Yellow will handle only next-day freight, while all other freight goes elsewhere. Where is it going? Do you know that Roadway has a COO that is almost exactly like Yellow's?

The drivers are already on our seniority list. Just about every one has a cdl. No need to go and hire more. According to the change of operation info we will lose 23 jobs in cartage, and none in line haul. The laid off people have the option to transfer to another yellow terminal in another state, not another company. And roadway now has a new terminal in Atlanta bringing their number to 4.

We had our meeting today with the management and were told that our drivers will only drive 250 miles out and back every day. That means no more hotels for drivers. We in Atlanta will service next day shipments. All freight must be on the road by midnight. We were told if we can’t make the deadlines that the Atlanta terminal will become an end of the line terminal or closed. The freight is already being re routed around us and has been since last year.

atlanta

How many men on letter of layoff in the city op at atlanta.Am hearing rumor that atlanta will become a velocity sort hub in Sept.and that other terminals may have to run into and get some areas away from your city op.This is to free up room for sort=hub op.Let us know if what I'm hearing has teeth to it.

What minds

:rockon::rockon:
we been told in the city in atl that a new bid will go up this week.......30 bids at 5am,30 bids at 7am,30 bids at 9am and 30 bids at 10am.....they are cutting out the 6,6:30,7:30,8:30,9:30 bids.....they will flood the streets to deliver and pickup and cut out all of the overtime........we have great minds in atl planning all of this......we shall see.:hysterical:

I missed the NEWS FLASH about there being minds, even great minds, involving anything about the planning of this coo. I ask myself where are they planning on all this new freight coming from. Our barn can't keep all of our roster men working and now we are getting nearly twice as many ue positions that the city men are working now. Our tm and dispatchers are just like all the rest of ours and the competition is the fact that if you had a truckload of their brains then you would have a truckload of air.

Atltopdog,
Averitt is still in their older Fulton Industrial terminal (FUL) (well last time I rode by a few weeks back). I'm not sure when their new terminal is slated to open, they were still putting the walls up and working on the shop buildings...Their old terminal is not the largest, they out grew it, they had to park linehaul units in the employee parking lot due to lack of space. When I worked at Averitt, Fulton couldn't handle the volume loads picked up in the area, instead they were picked up by Marietta (MRT) or Southeast Atlanta (SEA) before SEA and COM (Commerce, GA) were consolidated into MRT, FUL, and NOR...I'm not sure if the old terminal would be worth the effort for
Roadway to run, unless it would divert freight from ATL of Moreland or like you said handle Yellow's freight...

Their is an old ABF terminal (former Billings Freight) closer to I-20 off Fulton Ind. Blvd, but its used as a dropyard for a local truckload outfit...

The drivers are already on our seniority list. Just about every one has a cdl. No need to go and hire more. According to the change of operation info we will lose 23 jobs in cartage, and none in line haul. The laid off people have the option to transfer to another yellow terminal in another state, not another company. And roadway now has a new terminal in Atlanta bringing their number to 4.

We had our meeting today with the management and were told that our drivers will only drive 250 miles out and back every day. That means no more hotels for drivers. We in Atlanta will service next day shipments. All freight must be on the road by midnight. We were told if we can’t make the deadlines that the Atlanta terminal will become an end of the line terminal or closed. The freight is already being re routed around us and has been since last year.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood that you already have the extra drivers. But you are the one that said you were losing 23 jobs to other Yellow terminals, not to Roadway or USF. You cannot transfer to another company, so naturally they would have to be offered work at gaining Yellow terminals. It sounds like they are ramping up for the UE runs, a maximum 250 miles out and back every day. Nothing new or earth-shattering here.

They made the same threats about turning Denver into an end-of-line about a year-and- a-half ago. They started re-routing around Denver. They did the same thing in Dallas. Most of this is diversionary. It is a smoke screen. This transference is primarily service related. But you better be on your toes, because they went around the contract in Denver and so far have gotten away with it.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood that you already have the extra drivers. But you are the one that said you were losing 23 jobs to other Yellow terminals, not to Roadway or USF. You cannot transfer to another company, so naturally they would have to be offered work at gaining Yellow terminals. It sounds like they are ramping up for the UE runs, a maximum 250 miles out and back every day. Nothing new or earth-shattering here.

They made the same threats about turning Denver into an end-of-line about a year-and- a-half ago. They started re-routing around Denver. They did the same thing in Dallas. Most of this is diversionary. It is a smoke screen. This transference is primarily service related. But you better be on your toes, because they went around the contract in Denver and so far have gotten away with it.

The PSE was around for awhile and never hit us in ATL. Now the UE language replaces it, and the COO for ATL is Phase 1 of 3 planned for ATL. The company would not give us the specifics on the other 2 as of this time.

The Road lost 23 bids and the city lost 23 local cartage. Then we gained back 35 runs due to the velosity freight being handled by the road, that will not create any gaining local cartage jobs, as it is being relayed through linehaul....this gave us a gain of 12 more road jobs.

We will still have (as of this date) laydown runs to FL and 45% reduction in the ATL to JMI on laydowns, lose some laydown runs on MEM, CTI and STL...BUT, not ALL of them.

We are gaining the primary to Richmond, VA (3 Bids) and to SVT (5 Laydowns) and the primary to CNC (21 bids).

We will be running more turns as opposed to the laydowns we have, but we are still gonna hit the hotels somewhere.............KK

are they still thinking about bidding next week - and if so will they even have any unassigned workers on the dock? Also, if they laid off the bottom 13 on the dock yesterday, how will they be able to work their casuals?

are they still thinking about bidding next week - and if so will they even have any unassigned workers on the dock? Also, if they laid off the bottom 13 on the dock yesterday, how will they be able to work their casuals?

Md, i heard that the bids will go up this coming week, and they are bringing in "powerhouse" ted a. to run the city operations because we've had no cityop manager for months........let me know if they have more meetings with yall because i start at 6am and the bosses arent in at 6am.......got to go, heading to the hall at 8...:smilie_132:

The PSE was around for awhile and never hit us in ATL. Now the UE language replaces it, and the COO for ATL is Phase 1 of 3 planned for ATL. The company would not give us the specifics on the other 2 as of this time.

The Road lost 23 bids and the city lost 23 local cartage. Then we gained back 35 runs due to the velosity freight being handled by the road, that will not create any gaining local cartage jobs, as it is being relayed through linehaul....this gave us a gain of 12 more road jobs.

We will still have (as of this date) laydown runs to FL and 45% reduction in the ATL to JMI on laydowns, lose some laydown runs on MEM, CTI and STL...BUT, not ALL of them.

We are gaining the primary to Richmond, VA (3 Bids) and to SVT (5 Laydowns) and the primary to CNC (21 bids).

We will be running more turns as opposed to the laydowns we have, but we are still gonna hit the hotels somewhere.............KK

Thanks KK, it is nice to hear some reasonable explanations. As you know, there are plenty of employees out here that are curious about what is going on around the company, and hysterics doesn't help. I find it very difficult to believe they are considering closing a terminal as large and as strategic as Atlanta. And when the person who says this can't understand why transfers are going to other Yellow locations and not being offered to local terminals for other companies, I get very frustrated. I wonder, then, if anything in the post is accurate.

IS this for real?

A long time ago there was a business writer for the Akron Beacon Journal in Ohio who made an astute observation about Yellow. I believe he was referring to the situation when Yellow aquired Preston. He said Yellow does not like to compete. They would much rather gobble up their competition and then cut them loose to flounder. They take the best of everything the other company has and then gets their employess for a fraction of their worth!:chairshot:

If thats the case, i should go apply at yellow now...........................

Md, i heard that the bids will go up this coming week, and they are bringing in "powerhouse" ted a. to run the city operations because we've had no cityop manager for months........let me know if they have more meetings with yall because i start at 6am and the bosses arent in at 6am.......got to go, heading to the hall at 8...:smilie_132:

I thought the night shift had a city op - Dave - old tall guy with grey hair? Is Ted gonna be the morning city op mang? They said that they would have our meeting some time in the future - I really don't think they will talk to us till next week, but I will let you know

If thats the case, i should go apply at yellow now...........................

I don't know if I agree with any of that. Preston was competing in a very over-capacity region. They were probably destined for failure no matter what. And after Yellow cut loose Saia, they have not floundered. Analysts talk out their arses continually to justify their existence. YRC didn't shut USF down, they just returned them to where they were before they bought them. They haven't made excuses. They admit they f***ed up. They say they are happy with the results after a very short time. That should be good news. But don't wander over to this forum if that is what you are looking for.