XPO | Shares of Con-Way fell 87 cents

Trucking Bandit

TB Lurker
Credits
David G. Ross, an analyst at Stifel Nicolaus & Co., lowered his earnings estimates outlook on Con-Way into 2007 and lowered his target price to $58 from $70.

He said the decline in tonnage is attributable to several factors, which include tough comparisons to last year and pricing. "Customers are not shipping as much now with Con-Way mainly due to price (not service)," he wrote.

However, Ross maintained a "Buy" rating on the company. "Con-Way remains one of the best run less-than-truckload carriers in the U.S. and should be one of the long-term winners in a consolidating industry," Ross said in a research note.

Justin B. Yagerman, an analyst at Wachovia Capital Markets, likewise lowered estimates, but struck a less optimistic tone about the company's long-term fortunes. He maintained his "Market Perform" rating.

"We believe CNW's sluggish tonnage growth and general economic uncertainty will continue to place downward pressure on shares," he said in a research note.

He noted that while operations remain strong, competition is increasing. "Our channel checks indicate that while (Con-Way) is highly regarded by customers due to its premium LTL (less-than-truckload) service and well-tuned operations, many customers are seeking more cost-efficient solutions with comparable service levels," he wrote.

Edward Wolfe, an analyst at Bear, Stearns & Co., lowered his forecasts, cut his target price to $41 from $43, and retained his "Underperform" rating.

"We do not find CNW's near-term miss all that surprising," he said in a research note, citing the company's willingness to sacrifice volume for price.

Wolfe added that Con-Way's inability to execute that strategy does not bode well for the rest of the less-then-truckload sector.

"If the industry's service leader loses tonnage when it attempts to enforce rate increases, we don't believe that is a positive sign for the LTL market in general,"
Wolfe said.

Shares of Con-Way fell 87 cents to $44.93 in early afternoon trading on the Nasdaq. Earlier Tuesday, shares fell to new 52-week low of $44.23, compared to the prior low of $44.94 which came on Sept. 11. The 52-week high of $61.87 occurred on June 2.

Man and to thunk I was wrong about the stock market all these years. Lower is better and I now get the whole enron thing.

And to think our growing dissatisfaction with sleek, slick tongued, airbrushed leadership is what makes authenticty such a desirable quality in today's corporations, which truly is a quality that, unfortunately, is in VERY SHORT SUPPLY.

No wonder managing perception is so hard for our great leaders.

Listen up fella's: Our new mission is to do it better, bigger and faster than ENRON did it.

time will tell!!!

LMAO, just wait until they do away with the pension and double the contribution on the 401, WITH CONWAY STOCK, then they will have us right where they want us, LOL. :ranting2:

Why is everyone shocked when we dropped a buck? Just 3 months ago our stock was at $60 per share now we are in the mid-low $40's... I'm more concerned with that than I am a small 1 day drop...

It's the same principle as our ICP... The projections were far to high... So there was no chance we could hit our goals...

I speak specifically of CWF Central but it does apply to all of Con-way Inc. Our management doesn't listen to Ideas, They feel that if it's not their Idea its not a good idea.

The company said in their statement that a major reason we didn't hit our revenue/profit goals was due to soft Tonnage in the LTL Unit. And CWF Central si the most profitable in the LTL unit. And as Central is demoralized and the Drivers don't care the profits are down and costs are up... The company is paying for neglecting it's employees... Lets hope this wakes them up...

Trucking Bandit, Please post a link the the article you used for the original post... We don't want to violate "Fair-use" laws as it appears to be most or all of that article... Thanks!!

Trucking Bandit said:
Man and to thunk I was wrong about the stock market all these years. Lower is better and I now get the whole enron thing.

And to think our growing dissatisfaction with sleek, slick tongued, airbrushed leadership is what makes authenticty such a desirable quality in today's corporations, which truly is a quality that, unfortunately, is in VERY SHORT SUPPLY.

No wonder managing perception is so hard for our great leaders.

Listen up fella's: Our new mission is to do it better, bigger and faster than ENRON did it.
One day you my wake up,Lets say on labor day and that my happen.What would stop them.We won't stick together,Read a 10 k report or take part in a proxy.Blind faith and trust will get you no where.

Trucking Bandit said:
David G. Ross, an analyst at Stifel Nicolaus & Co., lowered his earnings estimates outlook on Con-Way into 2007 and lowered his target price to $58 from $70.

He said the decline in tonnage is attributable to several factors, which include tough comparisons to last year and pricing. "Customers are not shipping as much now with Con-Way mainly due to price (not service)," he wrote.

However, Ross maintained a "Buy" rating on the company. "Con-Way remains one of the best run less-than-truckload carriers in the U.S. and should be one of the long-term winners in a consolidating industry," Ross said in a research note.
Trucking Bandit you need to post a link to all press release and news story's.and only Post a couple of paragraphs.due to copyright laws

Trucking Bandit said:

story link
your post should look like this.

brutus said:
your post should look like this.
Con way management.want the hell do these guys know.We are doing the right thing,no matter how many people get hurt.

Trucking Bandit said:
Had to wait for my 4th grader to get home to show me how to post the link you want. Doing the best I can with the computer guys.

Give me this message:
You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.

Here it is typed out - good luck!
biz.yahoo.com/ap/060919/analyst_note_cnw.html?.v=1

Thanks that works... It's a legal thing... Truckingboards doesn't want to get into trouble like some other sites have for using content without providing the links to where it came from...

Trucking Bandit said:
Had to wait for my 4th grader to get home to show me how to post the link you want. Doing the best I can with the computer guys.

Give me this message:
You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.

Here it is typed out - good luck!
Analyst Note: Con-Way Inc.: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

fixed link
the 15 post is there to help stop spammers.after your 15 th post you will have no problem posting links.

there was apost in the oakland tribune about container service and it featured Dave McC saying that Conway is trying to get in to that market...i'll have to read it later...

linehaul said:
with the price falling, now is the time to buy

maybe with your money, 2 1/2 years ago it was down to $30 a share, what makes you think its not going down even more, even just halfway there. The last year the stock has had a return of -10%, the five year return is around 9%, Ive bought enough cheap stock the, now its time to see a return

and if you think 9% is a good five year return, heres a refresher

Here is your 5 year return on your ltl's stock

old dominion 51.8%
fed ex 20.7%
abf 15.1%
yellow 11.7%
conway 9.5%
ups 7.2%

:27: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: