ABF | Sick days, Personal days Vacation Days

18Wheeler

TB Lurker
Credits
When taking a paid day off such as sick , personal or vacatio. A driver states what day he/she wants to take that paid day off, it is my understanding that it starts at 0001 hours and continues for 24 hours. Can you please verify this?

When taking a paid day off such as sick , personal or vacatio. A driver states what day he/she wants to take that paid day off, it is my understanding that it starts at 0001 hours and continues for 24 hours. Can you please verify this?

Picking the fly ::shit:: out of the pepper?

Not sure how it works at ABF...never did schedule a day off while working a shift that ‘crossed over’ into the actual day I wanted off. However while working at another carrier I scheduled a Friday off 3 weeks ahead of the day and was granted that day off. Checked in Thursday morning and was told there was no work so I turned my phone off and went about my day. Never occurred to me they would call me in for a NIGHT RUN Thursday night because I had been granted Friday off weeks before. Turns out, they tried to call me in that night to work (on purpose, I suspect...because that’s they way they rolled). On Monday, I got the third degree! I told them I had Friday off...why did you even bother to call? They’re excuse was that when you start your shift the evening before, your shift runs into the next day...regardless if you have that day off. I said: “I don’t know what twisted universe you live in, but in THIS universe on THIS planet, the new day starts at midnight. You wanna call me in and have me off by midnight, that’s fine with me, but don’t expect me to stay past midnight.”

Last edited:
At our terminal if your a road driver a day off starts when you clock out. If you schedule a day off for appointments (sick day) they need to schedule you like your out of hours if you cannot make another run. That is a protected area. You might need a note from the doctor but they can’t force you out for an appointment. THEY have to make it right. Call your union hall. I’ve been in 3 different terminals including KC and they all work the same way on days off.